Sew Many Projects, So Little Time

This is showcase of my projects in various stages.

My First Quilt

While this isn't my first attempt at quilting (it's my second) it is the one I still have. It was made in a beginners class in Stuttgart, Germany. I was stationed on Patch Barracks. At the time there was a quilt shop on post called "The Gussy Goose". The ladies were wonderful and taught me a lot. This sampler was fun to make and it is partially hand quilted. As you can see, my love affair with blues was evident even then.

I am contemplating removing the stitches and redoing. Not sure yet how I'll proceed.

One if my all time favourite blocks the Ohio Star:

The sashing from the back:

Comments

SpringerMom said:

Kris, I wouldn't remove stitching and re-do your quilt. I also have my 1st quilt project, and have it proudly hanging on a wall. Everytime I look at it I smile, remembering how I thought it had turned out so perfect at that time! Lol. It's a reminder of how far I've come since then, the good times I've had learning, and the doors quilting has opened to me. Good friends, enjoyment, fulfillment for my accomplishments, and an entire network of quilters who talk and have fun times together. No way would I ever touch a single stitch on my 1st quilt.  :)

# May 13, 2014 1:50 PM

Kris said:

Thanks. I was thinnking of redoing it because it has been folded so long there are creases in the fabric that I'm not sure will "quilt out". I think the fabrics might have shifted.

# May 13, 2014 3:01 PM

Quiltless said:

What year did you start this, Kris.

It would be nice if you could just continue and keep the original stitching, but at least the piecing would be "Kris's early quilting."

This is such a milestone piece for you, it would be nice to save the "then" and "now."

Beautiful patterns and colors.  I love blues too.

Quiltless

# May 13, 2014 3:20 PM

Kris said:

Thanks Q.

I forgot to mention it was March 2001 when I took the class. It got packed away when I left Germany and I never got back to it. The batting is bearding a lot. The quilting thread is navy blue. All the white you see on the back is batting coming through the fabric.

# May 13, 2014 6:18 PM

SpringerMom said:

Kris, I see what you're saying about bearding... I thought it  was white thread. Poly batting most likely was not as good back in 2001, and shifted since it was not all quilted. May be the better decision to separate the layers and re-do with fresh batting. It's really a pretty top, and will always be special to you. I really like the blocks and colors! Hope to see it finished!

# May 13, 2014 9:48 PM

Kris said:

I plan on giving it a good pressing this weekend. It still has all the pins in it so that will make it quite a chore.

# May 16, 2014 8:09 PM