Sew Many Projects, So Little Time

This is showcase of my projects in various stages.

Quilt Room Exorcism

When Jodie Davis started the thread about being a slob, she asked us to post photos of our quilting spaces at that moment. I took this photo and was shocked by my own mess.

I decided that something must be done. My room was by far the messiest of all the ones posted. I tried moving things around but ended up putting them all back and added a new piece along the way. The clean up was quite tedious.

I finally finished up last night. It looks much better. I think I cleaned up my creativity along the way because I ended up not sewing for almost 2 weeks. I tried to blame this on Jodie who made me face this mess head on.

I'm not sure how long it will stay clean but I will try. The goal is to clean up before I leave the room and work on one project at a time during each sewing session.

Comments

Judy Iliff said:

Very nice, Kris! You know, though, you may just have to accept the fact that you're more creative when your room is like it is in the 1st picture. Many people work best that way. I'm not one of them, but many people are. :-) Personally, I think you've just been too tired and achy to do any sewing. LOL!

# October 11, 2009 11:56 PM

Thea said:

Okay Kris, why are you restricting yourself like this - some people need an organized mess to be creative in... a messy room does not mean you are messy - I would do what makes you happy - I have always been a neat person - sick to say but my Dad brought me my Chatty Cathy doll that I had as a child - it was still in the box -still held down by the tie downs... i asked him if I ever played with it - he said yes all the time and then i would put it back in its box very carefully... so a clean neat room is what I need for my creativity to flourish - I need organization to flourish - but that may not be what you need - do what you need to make yourself happy - Jodie likes a messy studio... she's not worried about it... I wish you nothing but happiness and hope your creativity comes back soon  - you have a lot of talent... God bless, Thea

# October 12, 2009 12:34 AM

Spudgrandma said:

Kris, I'm so sorry you have not felt like sewing. But, I love your room the messy or the neat, they both say come on in and sew!  Good Job and feel better.

# October 12, 2009 1:05 AM

Stephanie said:

Kris,

A very nice job organizing,

We are peas in a pod. No matter how hard I try.... my room, actually my house looks like your first pic's most of the time. It's hard to stay organized when you have to work, live in pain, and try to steal those creative moments. When everythings put away ( especially when I'm working on a project) I lose precious time trying to find everything again.  I have come to terms with myself. Would u rather be remembered as an artist or a good housekeeper?

# October 12, 2009 7:04 AM

Kris said:

Thanks for the comments ladies. I'm usually very organised everywhere else. Quite anal actually. This is the one place I can't seem to keep in order. Maybe I need the mess like you said.

# October 12, 2009 4:03 PM

Georgia said:

Kris -- I just have one question... can you find everything now?  Every time someone makes me feel guilty about my "messy" sewing room and I go about "cleaning" it up, it takes me FOREVER to find my things.  All of my sewing friends will tell you how organized I am... I'm just good at organizing my "mess"!  It's okay to have your things out where you want them... give yourself permission... those of us that function like this are usually more creative when we just work in our clutter.

# October 12, 2009 4:22 PM

Kris said:

Georgia, yes I can find everything. I have specific place for each tool so I know where they are. Nothing's really hidden. It's the fabric that gets out of hand since I work on more thing at a time.

# October 13, 2009 1:28 AM

Thea said:

I like your sewing table Kris.  You have more room to the left then I do underneath - I like that -  I have an ocala table and although it is nice I have ideas for the one i want DH to make me someday.

# October 13, 2009 5:59 PM

Helen Bell said:

Great Job Kris...some people function better in a mess and some don't...I can make a big mess while I'm working on the project but then I have to tidy it up before I can go onto the next project...kitchen is the same way...I can make a big mess cooking and walk away that night but got to clean it up this thing in the morning...must admit though..it is nice to wake up to a nice clean kitchen and it is nice to walk into a nice tidy sewing room...but "to each her own"

# October 13, 2009 7:00 PM

quilterbearpaws said:

Great Job Kris in recreating your room.  A thought:   the "organized room look" isn't always the best answer. Creativity usually flows best when a person is comfortable in the surroundings.  Let your comfort level be your best guide.

I would like to ask you about your quilting frame and the machine that is on your frame.

I will be replacing my existing quilting frame in the near future.  So I am gathering information on the choices out there.  Your frame is obviously made of metal.  Could you please tell me what make it is and what type of machine and the throat size that you are using on it.

Thanks so much,

quilterbearpaws

# November 7, 2009 10:21 AM

Diana said:

Hi Kris,  I agree with Georgia.   I clean up my room then I can't find anything.   I used to work with a man who's desk looked like a pile of junk.  Yet, every time we asked for something, he'd go to the right pile, go down just so far, and pull out exactly what we needed.  We referred to it as organized chaos.  He always knew right where everything was.   My room is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy.  Same as my house....well, house is a bit cleaner (don't have 100's of yards of fabric all over the place).  House doesn't have all the fabric dust all over it either.  But house has 2 cats and 1 large dog with their shedding...guess we're almost even...hehe   I say that my quilt room is my own mess and if it doesn't bother me, it shouldn't bother anyone else.  If it bothers someone else, I just tell them they don't have to come into it...my room, my rules...lol

Diana in East Tn.

# November 16, 2009 3:21 AM

Linda said:

yeah!!!!  now i don't feel so guilty when i leave my sewing room a mess.  I am not the only one!  I really do wish I were more organized but life goes on and when grandkids are comeing or are here everything else stops,(housework, sewing, anything) and we have fun!   I can always clean tomorrow or maybe the next day.

Linda Y

# November 19, 2009 2:27 PM

Linda said:

Now having said all that I probably should pick up a little and start supper before my sweetheart gets home from work.  so seeeeee yaaaaa ladies

# November 19, 2009 2:30 PM

gini said:

geez kris,  i could still see your floor,  the light could still shine through your windows,  you still had empty surfaces on the ironing board and  on your sewing table and on the little table at the back.   heck you still had room on the shelf at the back.   and where are all the piles in the corners?    if that's your idea of untidy, i'm in real trouble.  looks pretty good to me before you cleaned.       gini

# November 19, 2009 2:54 PM

Amalie Simper said:

man I agree with a lot of people.. you could still see the floor.  That is how my old sewing room looked before I moved and I miss it.  We had to downsize and now my sewing area is our dining area..yuck yuck and I always have to be clear and I can not find anything anymore.  I looks nice clean if you feel that you need a clean space but still let yourself be creative and enjoy the extra five minutes you would spend cleaning up working just a little bit more sometimes.  amalie

# May 17, 2011 11:16 PM

myrnaj said:

you must remember that your sewing room is a "work shop"!  how many work shops are clean?  I clean mine up after each project is complete.  I need for things to be left as is so I can use my time to pick up right where I left off.  You are very lucky to have such a nice big room that is all your own.  Would love to sew with you some time.

# June 21, 2011 11:45 AM

CANDYB said:

When i first retired I just knew I had to clean the sewing room at last. I labeled everything and cleaned it all. I have a large picture window in front of my machine, so

I would set down and watch the kids across the street on the school ground. I find it hard to work in a room that is too clean. Now at last it is comfort for me with fabric stacked in piles and thread ends on floor. One day a friends husband said that he wished that his wife wasn`t crafty. But she was the can to have thing perfect and in place all the time, and never liked a mess,

# August 14, 2011 5:40 PM

Becky S said:

I soooo relate to your organizational skills.  I have a friend who says you can't be creative and be neat at the same time.  LOVE THAT GIRL! I agree it takes too much time to organize it all from scratch, but after a water issue, I am now waiting on the contractor to finish the entire basement and then a "whole new" sewing area, actually two full rooms to place all my lovely things back in an organized manner.  I am certain it will stay that way until I work on my first project!

# October 13, 2011 5:03 PM