Sew Many Projects, So Little Time

This is showcase of my projects in various stages.

Attacked by cats!

I think I had a small small stroke when I returned home from a lovely time outside to discover that my darling kitty cats have had the worst case of inappropriate scratching ever. They attacked my Nana & Gramp quilt. Heaven help me. There are tiny rips in it. After screaming for what seemed like an hour (actually about 5 minutes) I managed to calm down and think. I may be able to remedy the situation by adding some heavy quilting over the torn areas. It is already quilted so replacing the pieces is not an option at this point. I talked to the LQS owner and she thinks it will be ok too (I'm entering the quilt in her show next month). I can't look at it anymore so I'm going to lie down for a while.

Now I know why these little devils are so cute, to keep them from getting killed in situations like this. Their punishment is being called "bad kitty", which they hate, and being banished from the sewing room for the rest of the day.

The girl is lying on my lap right now purring her apology, the other has disappeared under my bed (this is normal for him).

I am going to lie down

Comments

Spudgrandma said:

I'm afraid you are more forgiving than me, they would be banned from my sewing room forever :)

# July 25, 2009 2:19 PM

Kris said:

Spud,

it was really hard keeping them out for even a short time. If I'm in there with the door closed they sit outside and claw at the door. I could see their little paws reaching under the door and feeling around. I didn't spend much time in there today though. After this fiasco I lost the desire to sew today. I cut the fabric for my next project on the kitchen table then went back out for a while. I'm now in bed checking email and will read for the rest of the night.

# July 25, 2009 7:51 PM

Thea said:

Oh I hope you can fix it - mine have never clawed enough to rip one of my quilts - but there have been other accidents... hairballs etc... that is one of the reasons that every quilt I have is able to be washed... and I try real hard not to think about them as more important then my DH, kids or anything else.

I learned really early that material things are just that - material things -

In saying that, I really do hope that you can fix it... I will pray that the Lord give you extra powers to be able to take care of this so that no one will ever notice that anything happened...

God bless,

Althea

# July 25, 2009 10:57 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Kris,

I used to work for a Vet and she put lot of SoftPaws on cats. Cannot put them on if they go outside at all, cause they cannot defend themselves, but if they are strictly indoors, people loved them and they come in lots of colors, looks like they had their nails done... LOL

# July 25, 2009 11:13 PM

Kris said:

Althea, I've never had trouble with them scratching before. They usually stick to their scratchers. I wasn't around when it happened so I'm not sure how it started. They were lying on it when I got home. I thinking maybe something was crawling on it.

Spud, I tried the soft paws when I first got them but since they're usually good I stopped using them.

I'll tackle it later today. I already have a plan of action in mind.

# July 25, 2009 11:38 PM

Kris said:

I wouldn't have reacted this badly if it were any other project but this one means a lot. I worked really hard pulling the whole thing together and the intended recipients mean a great deal to me.

# July 25, 2009 11:43 PM

Spudgrandma said:

I hope you will be able to fix it to your satisfaction.  I know you said you are going to do some more quilting, I sure hope it works for you. I know you are so disappointed and wish I could help.

# July 25, 2009 11:52 PM

Stephanie said:

Kris, I can't tell you how disappointed I am for you when I read this. You worked so hard on this and it is beautiful.  Those little rascals. Maybe something in the ink or some kind of adhesive smell spurred their interest. Who knows? My cat Otis loves tape. I can't wrap or open a package without him "helping" and he loves to bite that tape. I think I'd have had to go lay down after that myself. I hope you can work out a solution to fix this, it definitely should be shared at the show.

# July 26, 2009 8:49 AM

Joyce Brenden said:

Kris--

Just finished reading this post and am curious to find out if you were able to fix the quilt.  Hope so.

# August 10, 2009 12:26 AM

Kris said:

Joyce, I did get it taken care care of. I put a bit of glue inside the holes, tucked in the edges with a bamboo stiletto then quilted over the areas. Since I used monofilament thread it doesn't really show. If you look at the back you can see the areas that are more heavily quilted but I can live with that.

The quilt will be in a show this weekend.

# August 10, 2009 12:34 AM

gini said:

kris, quick thinking to save your quilt, i would have been very upset.    the very first quilt that i hand pieced and hand quilted.  the very first night it was left on it's own downstairs.  our kitty caught her very first mouse and left a bloody mess, right in the middle of my wonderful quilt.  she was so proud of herself,i couldn't yell at her.  i really scrambled to get all the blood out.    gini

# August 10, 2009 12:49 AM

gidgpress said:

Kris, I have 2 dogs, a husband and a son. Who were always mad at me for keeping our dogs OUT of my sewing/quilting room. They always say they are family. How can you be sooooo mean to Gilligan and Ginger.( yes that is their names lol) They are the babies. So, I fixed them. I made a bet with them if they made a quilt (baby size 36 x 36) each and find it easy. I would let the dogs in. So, they took the bet. I was thinking what fools..LOLOL.. My son has made quilts but never followed rules and my husband has never picked up a needle. They picked fabric, ironed, picked patterns(my son says dad say with squares). Well, that was smart. I must say..lol But long from done. Time to cut I have one lefty and a righty. My son trying to show my husband how to cut was so funny. I would not help I gave them books with self help. After 3 days fabric got cut. Yes 3 DAYS!! For baby quilts. I almost wet my pants. They then started sewing for God knows how long and ironing. They got the tops done with holes and uneven everywhere. I always laughed at Larry the Cable Guy. But the Quilt Dudes where GREAT!! So they were off to the quilt table. I gave some help putting the quilt on the table. If not who know when I would be back in my room. My son first up, who has used the machine before. I got him going. And all I could hear was I HATE THIS! WHY DID YOU GET ME INTO THIS! THIS SUCKS! NEVER AGAIN! I felt like I was winning but ,the game was not over yet but, the Quilt Dudes where GREAT Laughs!! My son gets his done in a week. Now my husband starts braeks thread left and right. Calls my machine all kinds of name the poor girl never was talked to like that before. After2 weeks his is done. They both come in so happy and say we got them done so "HA!!". I said let me see. I said oh no boys you did not trim and bind. My son says dad I told you. I said go make your binding see ya!! Boy they were mad now after a month of this I'm wanting my room back. But the Quilt Dude Show, I hate to see it end. So I go in and check on them because I am feeling sorry for them. But on the other hand I'm not. They made the binding with a ton of help. They used a million pins to pin the binding on and band-aide must love them too.... They did finish their quilts. Did pretty good jobs for the QUILT DUDES! But NO DOGS in my room. And they say "Why is quilting relaxing?" I know why. It keeps them and the dogs out!!

# March 1, 2011 11:46 PM