Hands Around Nana & Gramp continued
I've gotten the blocks and photos together. I'm currently making the flying geese units for the border. I'm really excited about this project. This is the first time I've printed photos on fabric and I was really nervous about it. I nixed the idea of using those prepared fabric sheets because they are too expensive for something like this. Instead, I bought Kona cotton in white, cut it into 7x7 inch squares and treated them with Bubble Jet Set 2000. I then ironed freezer paper to one side and printed the hand photos. The center photo was printed on 4 8 x 11.5 inch sheets then sewn together (it measures 16 x 20 inches). After the ink dried I washed the fabric before sewing them together. I didn't do them all at once so it wasn't as overwhelming as I thought it would be.
Here is the center photo with some blocks (Date April 29 2009):
and here is the top without borders: (June 18 2009)
I tried to get all the photo backgrounds to match but it was difficult since they were done at different times on different scanners. The one on the bottom left is the baby's hand. Each person's name is embroidered in the bottom left corner of his/her hand. I wanted to be done before now but I had to wait for all the hands to come in.