June 2009 - Posts
I finished Nana & Gramp's quilt top last night (June 28). My husband really likes it. He helped me pin it to the wall so I could get a good photo. Problem with doing that was a bit of warping from the weight of the top against the pins. It fills the wall from ceiling to floor. I took a photo of it on my sewing room floor and it looks more square there. I'm still trying to figure out what to do on the back. I like to piece my backs but this one may get a plain back, who knows...
This is it on the floor
and on the wall:
I've gotten the blocks and photos together. I'm currently making the flying geese units for the border. I'm really excited about this project. This is the first time I've printed photos on fabric and I was really nervous about it. I nixed the idea of using those prepared fabric sheets because they are too expensive for something like this. Instead, I bought Kona cotton in white, cut it into 7x7 inch squares and treated them with Bubble Jet Set 2000. I then ironed freezer paper to one side and printed the hand photos. The center photo was printed on 4 8 x 11.5 inch sheets then sewn together (it measures 16 x 20 inches). After the ink dried I washed the fabric before sewing them together. I didn't do them all at once so it wasn't as overwhelming as I thought it would be.
Here is the center photo with some blocks (Date April 29 2009):
and here is the top without borders: (June 18 2009)
I tried to get all the photo backgrounds to match but it was difficult since they were done at different times on different scanners. The one on the bottom left is the baby's hand. Each person's name is embroidered in the bottom left corner of his/her hand. I wanted to be done before now but I had to wait for all the hands to come in.
The idea from this project came to me one night while at work. I was looking at photos taken at my in-laws' home at Christmas time. Everyone was so happy and it was great to see how much they love each other. As always I felt lucky to be part of it. I wanted to do a quilt for my husband's grandparents and I stumbled upon it by accident. There is a photo of a pair of hands in the album (mine and my husband's taken at our wedding). I knew what to do.
When I got home I told my husband of my plan and sketched it out. Then I got to work in EQ6. This is the design I came up with:
The blank square are for photos of hands from each family member. The center photo is of my husband's grandparents (Nana & Gramp) taken on their wedding anniversary. My mother-in-law (these are her parents) loves this photo. The idea was to print all these photos onto fabric. The hands where scanned into the computer on a home scanner except for the baby whose hand was photographed while he slept.
The fabrics are from "Connecting Threads" line called "Riviera". They are absolutely beautiful
The date of this design is April 29 2009. The title of this entry is the current title for the quilt. I may change it when I finish.