Spudgrandma's Thoughts on Quilting & Life!

QFH is on the frame!

Yesterday , I loaded the QFH on the frame.  I started quilting it this afternoon and it is going much smoother than the first one.  I am learning to relax and quilt more open.  I am pleased, so far, with the way it looks.

I'm kind of excited about this one as it is turning out way nicer than I had imagined. It is still going in the car, to be used for a picnic quilt or table cover, but I don't think I will be ashamed to put it out for others to see.

I guess I had better get busy piecing another one to go on the frame.  It took me 3 weeks to quilt the last one, this one may take me four days.  I could probably do it in a day but it makes it too much like work, so I just do a couple of passes and then do something else for awhile.

Comments

Spudgrandma said:

I decided to float the top and batting on this one, so far I think it is much easier.

# October 20, 2009 11:55 AM

Stephanie said:

Spud, You are your own worst critic, all of your quilts have been great! I do especially like this one though. It does bring back memories of picnics to me. When you float a quilt, do you just roll up the actual quilted part as you go? And, (I apologize if I missed this) do you baste or pin the part that is left floating or just layer and leave it hanging (floating) off the front?

Sorry for the twenty questions, but this is all new territory for me.

# October 20, 2009 8:03 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Spud, You are your own worst critic, all of your quilts have been great! I do especially like this one though. It does bring back memories of picnics to me.  (Thank you so much for your kind words Stephanie.  This one was a pain because of the charm squares but the quilt is actually turning out way better than I had ever hoped.)

When you float a quilt, do you just roll up the actual quilted part as you go?  (The quilt back is rolled on to the back bar and then the back the top and the batting roll up on the take up roller.  I’m not entirely sure I’m doing the floating correct but it seems to be working. )

And, (I apologize if I missed this) do you baste or pin the part that is left floating or just layer and leave it hanging (floating) off the front?  (No need to apologize, that is how I learned by asking others and I don’t mind the questions at all.)

(Yes it is hanging off the front.  I layered the batting and then the top on the back and I basted them all at the top of the quilt.  I have been using pins down the sides that I remove and move them down as I roll the quilt.  After I made the first couple of passes I started pinning across the top of the backing bar after I advance the quilt.  I’m using safety quilt pins and I’m not closing them just pushing them through the top, batting and into the leader and quilt back that is on the backing bar.  I hope this makes sense, I’m not sure I’m explaining it very well.)

And, what advantages do you have doing it this way as opposed to rolling it all up?  (It is actually a lot easier to advance the quilt which is a big deal when you are using a 9” throat machine, I have advanced after every pass on this quilt.)

Sorry for the twenty questions, but this is all new territory for me. (No problem at all. Ask anything you want, I may not always have an answer but I sure don’t mind the questions. )

# October 20, 2009 10:46 PM

Spudgrandma said:

I think I am going into withdrawal. I really want to get the quilt finished, but the boys are not going home until later today so I may not get to do anything until tomorrow after church. It won't take me very long, I only have maybe 2 bobbins worth left to do. I have the binding all ready to go.

# October 24, 2009 12:15 PM

Helen Bell said:

It is a nice quilt...why was it a QFH??? I missed the first post of the explanation.

# October 24, 2009 2:18 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Thanks Helly,

When I went to piece it, I did not know what I was going to do for starters; I had a charm pack and a jelly roll and wanted to use them up.  Then the plaids and strips in the charm pack were not cut straight. If I were to straighten them I would have gone from 5" to who knows 2.5", well maybe not that bad but you get the picture. So I just got disgusted and sewed them together the way they were and called it the Quilt From He**.  It has actually turned out way better than I ever thought and I am really happy with the quilting with the variegated thread.  I tend to get stressed and since I don't use a pattern and just wing it I have to figure out what I'm going to do and that takes me a bit of time.

# October 24, 2009 3:29 PM

Helen Bell said:

Spud..I would have to say that you worry WAY to much about it..sometimes you just have to let things happen..and it turned out lovely...to straighten or not to straighten plaids..two diverse groups of people...me...I'm a not straighten kind of girl..but don't really like plaids

# October 24, 2009 5:33 PM

Anita said:

Beautiful quilt.I do especially like this one,

# October 24, 2009 6:05 PM