Spudgrandma's Thoughts on Quilting & Life!

Finally, a quilt on the frame!

I finally got a quilt loaded on the frame, it took me the better part of a day. I took it off and started over 3 times. I thought I was going to wear out the quilt top before getting it loaded.

So, I have made one pass and it looks pretty good. I'm still nervous when standing at the frame, I do not want to mess it up.  I'm also nervous because I do really well going from left to right but not going from right to left.  I know that will come with practice, but it still makes my knees knock.  LOL

Comments

Kathy Willhite said:

Congrats!

Tell me all about the frame and long arm(?) What kind?  How much?  Will you quilt for others?  Where do you have it in your house?

# August 27, 2009 2:04 PM

Kathy,

The frame is a Proflex and the machine is not a long-arm it is a BrotherPQ 1500 with a 9" harp.  I bought them both new and I guess about $1500 for the machine and the frame, which I bought separately.  I had originally intended to use my Janome 6600 on the frame but then decided that I wanted to be able to leave the machine on the frame and have my 6600 to just piece and sew on.

I will NOT be quilting for others.  I wanted to be able to do my own quilts.  The frame is set up in my living room, we hardly ever use it anyway we spend our time in the family room.  We have a piano at the end of the living room, and I intend to get rid of it as no one plays. My daughter played when she was home.  With the piano gone I can put the frame across the end of the room and we will have about the same amount of usable space we had before, so I will still have the living room I'll just have a quilt frame instead of a piano.... LOL

# August 27, 2009 3:06 PM

Thea said:

You are going to do just fine Spud.  You can do it at your own pace - no rush and relax the shoulders -  deep breaths and let go of the side of your mouth...lol

# August 27, 2009 3:19 PM

Kathy Willhite said:

Spud,

Thanks for the info.  That is cheaper than purchasing a new Bernina!

# August 27, 2009 3:34 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Thanks Althea! I'm doing okay, I have made one complete round and have advanced the quilt. I will try to get a bit more done in a little while.

# August 27, 2009 4:37 PM

Kathy,

I have spent a bit since getting the set up, if you want a cruise control that will cost you and the price depends on what frame you get and what machine. You don't have to have one, lots of people do it without, but I decided that was something I wanted. I also just ordered Bowers lifts for my frame, this will make it easier to adjust the frame as I advance the quilt. I'm able to do it without the lifts but I'm not getting any younger and I can see where at some point I may not be able to do it by myself, so I figured I may as well get them, they were only about $60.

I did forget to mention that you have to buy the poles for your frame locally and they cost, for my frame, about $60. Then you will need to either make or buy leaders.  So if you are considering a frame set up do your research and figure out what you want and go from there.  Good luck!

# August 27, 2009 4:43 PM

Kris said:

Spud,

I'm so glad you got it going. It looks great.

# August 27, 2009 5:38 PM

Thanks Kris,

I'm making progress. I completed a section and I have advanced the quilt so I'm ready to go another round.  I'll get there!

# August 27, 2009 7:01 PM

Sandy H. said:

You go girl!!

# August 27, 2009 8:10 PM

MNnancy said:

What kind of stitching are you trying on your fancy new setup?  SID, pantographs, free-motion, other?  I'm so close to buying a frame, and so very interested in your experience!  Thanks for sharing!

# August 27, 2009 8:49 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Thanks Sandy for the encourgment!

# August 27, 2009 10:00 PM

Thanks Nancy,

I'm using FMQ and it is going pretty well. What have you decided on?

# August 27, 2009 10:02 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Day Two and I'm making progress, however slow.  I just have a little bit more to do before advancing the quilt again. I'm getting better at advancing so, hopefully, by the time I'm done with this one I will have the process down.

# August 28, 2009 3:15 PM

Edith said:

Hi Spud

Sounds like you are ready to start. As I said before you just kind of have to relax and trust yourself. Yes , you will rip out sometimes.

God knows I have. That is what I have been doing to-day on One  that I am working on for Helen.

Only one block to go and back on the frame. I am so lucky that Helen trusts me to play with her quilts.

It is my outlet. I love to quilt as much as I love to piece .

# August 28, 2009 4:16 PM

Sherri said:

I am thinking about buying a mega quilter on frame-- I know nothing except I am tired of trying to quilt on my designer 1  back will not stay smooth  Please let me know what to look for in a frame and aprox cost  thanks sherri

# August 28, 2009 6:50 PM

MNnancy said:

What frame have I decided on?  Well, I'm still leaning towards that Grace Mini Pinnie (sp?).  I'm actually going to ask my DH to sit down at the computer with me to look at a variety of frames for his opinion of which looks to be the most soundly constructed for the price.  I wish I could find someplace not too far away to look at frames.  The really smart thing to do would be to wait until next July when the annual state quilt show, which travels to different cities from year to year, arrives in a town only 90 minutes from here, but I don't think I have that much patience.  Still, the new school year is starting, so now I'll have less sewing time, so waiting would be the smart thing to do....  Darn!

# August 28, 2009 9:04 PM

Edith,

The frames are fun. I am enjoying mine and the best part is I don't feel like I'm at a race I can go at my pace and not feel rushed.

# August 29, 2009 5:37 PM

Sherri,

What to look for is so subjective.  I will tell you that I researched for a very long time before I bought mine and still ended up doing things a bit diffrent after I got the frame. I had intended to use my Janome on the frame and then ended up buying a Brother with a 9" harp to use instead, I did not want to take the machine off and on and could not afford a long-arm just yet.

There is a Yahoo group that has lots of info on frames and machines and diffrent configurations and I spent a lot of time there reading.  The yahoo group is called Home Quilting Systems - groups.yahoo.com/.../homequiltingsystems

If you have  specific question I would be happy to try to answer, good luck with your search.

# August 29, 2009 5:46 PM

Nancy,

I cannot tell you what to do, but I can wish you good luck with your decision. I'm sure glad I got mine and I'm very happy I spent lots of time reading, researching, and asking questions - it was time well spent.

# August 29, 2009 5:54 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Update:

I got the Bowers lifts installed last evening.  I have not had a chance to quilt yet but plan to after lunch. I hope the lifts will make it easier, we will see.

# September 2, 2009 2:39 PM

Spudgrandma said:

I got a little bit done earlier and the lifts really make it easier. We followed the directions to the letter and that was a mistake but we can fix it later. My hubby was going to try to fix it last evening but I told him I could work with it the way it was for now and he should go to be as it was getting late and he gets up so early.

Anyway, I think they are going to make a big difference and I'm glad I got them.

# September 3, 2009 2:09 AM

Stephanie said:

Spud, I admire your tenacity. I'd have probably used up every bed sheet in the house practicing before I'd have thrown an actual quilt on. I'm still excited for you because now after all the planning and set up you finally get to enjoy. You'll be a pro in no time....

# September 3, 2009 6:06 PM

Anita said:

You go girl

I too purched a Brother PQ 1500 and a  Frame by '"Handy Quilter".

My Hubby made me the table then fastend the tracks to it. Havent tried it yet , maybe this weekend.

Good job Spud

Anita

# September 3, 2009 7:02 PM

Liz said:

Hi

I have a insspra frame and love it. I got it a the Big E (Eastern State Fair) a big New England Fair they have in Sept.

I don't  go back and forth I end and cut the thread and start over again at the left .  Your binding will cover up the ends.

Once you get going it will be less stress and more fun.   One thing I don't like is that it takes me to long to make my next quilt.

But I do love it.  Lots of patterns too.

Relax and have a blast!

# September 5, 2009 9:59 PM

Thanks Stephanie,

It took me awhile but I finally got it done. I'm excited to get the border quilted (doing that on the sit down machine) and get it bound so I can actually call it done.

# September 22, 2009 7:20 PM

Anita

I cannot wait to see your first quilt, let me know when you get started so I can cheer you on!

# September 22, 2009 7:21 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Thanks Betsy, I started doing that also just going to one side and starting over. As I roll the quilt the quilt area gets smaller and just going one way is much easier and I don't get myself trapped.  The closer I got to the end the more fun it became. I am having to take care of the threads because I did not quilt the border, I'm going to do that on the sit down machine. I was not sure what to so when I started so left them undone.

I'm sure the next quilt will be lots more fun.

# September 22, 2009 7:25 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Finally finished. I just finished sewing the binding and the quilt is in the wash.  I guess for some it would be considered a long time but I okay with my progress. I'm sure the next one will go much faster.

# October 13, 2009 3:33 AM