Spudgrandma's Thoughts on Quilting & Life!

My Charm Pack & Jelly Roll quilt from H***

Some time ago I bought , 2 charm packs and 1 jelly roll.  The charms are mostly plaids and stripes the Jelly rolls are floral, strips & paisleys, the plaids and stripes are not cut straight  and to straighten them out I would end up with too much gone so they are going to be sewn together as is, even though they are crooked I guess I will use them in a quilt to throw in the car to have for a table cover or to throw on the ground if needed.

I sewed the charms in 4-patches with a narrow 1" solid red sashing and it will be what it is.The sashing across the width is 3" and since I had to piece it to get it wide enough, I decided to use the navy.  I am planning on putting a navy border and I'm gong to try to bind it with the remaining Jelly Roll strips and if need be I will add the solid fabric to get a piece long enough to bind.

I think I'm done with the charm packs as they are too limiting and I don't like not washing my fabric before sewing, it makes me itch, I don't like the chemicals in the fabric.  So here is the top sans the border.

Well, I guess  I do like it better but I'm still very disappointed and it is one of those things I will look at and see what is wrong with it instead of what is okay.  It actually does look much better in person than in the picture. I think the blue painters tape really adds something don't you? LOL

Comments

Linda Lou said:

Spud,

It is a very interesting quilt.  I think you did a SUPER job with charm packs and jelly rolls.  I  like it.  It just looks like one of those quilts that my grandmother might have quilted with pieces of material from everywhere.  It also looks like a  fun picnic quilt.

It brings back some fond memories for me!!  Thanks for sharing.  Can't wait to see it finished.  Oh, and I agree, the painter's tape really does add something---I am not sure just what.  Don't be disappointed--just keep on quilting.

Linda Lou

# August 22, 2009 5:17 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Thanks for the encouragement Linda.  I guess I should really like it better as it is something that our grandmothers would have made. And I guess I did kind of work with what I had, I did buy solid red and navy or I would not have had a quilt big enough to do anything with.  Being such a scrappy lover I'm sure it will grow on me.  I just gravitate towards these kind of quilts. :)

# August 22, 2009 5:32 PM

Thea said:

Linda - you hit it right on the head - I was wondering why this quilt looked so familiar and it was because it reminded me of some of the ones Jay's Grandmother made.   Very nice Spud.  I like it!

# August 27, 2009 3:20 PM

gini said:

spud, i really like your quilt.  anything red and i love it.    have you thought about making it a background ?  maybe some flowers appliqued over it?   maybe in wool?    i could get real excited over this quilt as a background.   gini

# August 30, 2009 1:58 PM

gini said:

o.k., i can't stop thinking about your quilt.    blue flowers the color of the painter's tape,   maybe one big flower  with red centers,  and some gold or cheddar color.    hmmm.     gini

# August 30, 2009 2:19 PM

Anita said:

Spud, I really like your quilt.  I just love red.

Anita

# September 3, 2009 7:06 PM

Stephanie said:

Spud, You are an inspiration to us all. Your quilt reminds me too of something my great grandmother would have made and I would snuggle under when I'd visit. She loved to quilt too and would never let a bit of fabric go unattended. Thanks for sharing.

# September 3, 2009 7:36 PM

Sandy H. said:

Spud, I think it is great and very traditional.  It just has a "down home" feeling that I really like.  If you just can't stand to look at it, You can send it to me!

# September 4, 2009 11:52 AM

Spudgrandma said:

Thanks all for your encouragement, I'm making progress. I figured out what to do with the backing and as soon as I get it pieced I will get it loaded on the frame and then away I go LOL

# October 10, 2009 2:46 PM

Valerie said:

love the plaids and flower fabric

# October 14, 2009 8:44 PM

Susan Madden said:

Thank you for posting this!  I was looking for a pattern that would work well with charms and a jelly roll.  I like it!

# December 29, 2011 9:15 PM