Spudgrandma's Thoughts on Quilting & Life!

Time Flies!

Wow, time is flying by.  It seems like yesterday that we had our first child and now my oldest grandaughter is losing her first tooth and 3 of my grandchildren will be in Kindergarten this year. They grow up way too fast.

Well, I got the blocks all sewn together into the 4 rows and the border fabric ironed and ready to cut.  I hung two rows up on my wall, there wasn't room for all 4 rows. And even though I have totally messed up the instructions, I think it is just fine. It is sure a good way to get rid of a bunch of Fat 1/4s.

I played with the frame a bit, I sure hope at some point I get brave enough to put a real practice quilt on there, one that if it is not totally messed up when I'm done I can donate.

The hot weather broke a little.  We had a rain shower last evening and that cooled things off a bit and it has been overcast today so only up to 98, its pretty sad when that feels cool... LOL

Comments

Kris said:

I like it Spud. Why not put this one on the frame? I guarantee you won't mess it up. Try an all over meandering pattern and a thread that won't show too much. I used mono filament thread on my first 2.

# August 3, 2009 10:49 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Thanks Kris, I had a box of Fat 1/4 that I bought when I was involved in some swaps and I live so far from town I bought a bunch on sale and then I did not know what I was going to do with them. I still have a bunch so I may make another one or two.

I might put this on the frame, I still have to sew the rows together and put the borders on. We will see.  I need to replace my leaders before I do an actual quilt.

# August 3, 2009 11:18 PM

Thea said:

I say jump right in there and practice... everyone thinks I am crazy but I do not like to practice on sandwiches - tried it didn't like it - so now my quilts that I make get my practice machine quilting on them.  I am doing better as I go along but then I will never be perfect - don't profess to be perfect and I have my first quilts where the piecing wasn't perfect so now I have quilts that are learning ones in machine quilting... I have gotten a lot better and i haven't wasted any money on material for sandwiches to practice on anymore...

My DH loves them no matter what they look like - isn't he sweet!

I say go for it Spud... one of them someday has to be the first on the frame - why not this one... meander to your hearts content.

God bless,

Althea

# August 4, 2009 11:29 AM

ceecee said:

I really like the colors in this quilt . .cant wait to see the completed quilt. . .what is the pattern???

# August 4, 2009 11:34 AM

Spudgrandma said:

I actually got a couple of twin sheets, for the back, and I'm going to get some printed fabric, I may piece big squares, not sure yet, to make a top and my plan is to practice on them and then donate them to a shelter or something.  I am still trying to figure out my quilting area, which is quite small, and not getting myself cornered when I get to the end.  I'll get there.

# August 4, 2009 11:42 AM

Spudgrandma said:

Cecee,

Your post was not here when I answered the other.

The pattern is from Easy Quilt Spring 2009 - it is Fat 1/4 Breeze.  They made it with Batiks and it is very pretty, but I used what I had.

# August 4, 2009 1:28 PM

Spudgrandma said:

I got one of my pillow cases made, wow are they easy and so cute.  I only have 7 more to do...

# August 5, 2009 12:44 AM

Spudgrandma said:

I guess I will add to this blog instead of starting a new one.

I have had a pretty good day.  I have 3 pillow cases almost ready to sew and I'm going to clean up the kitchen and then run to town to get my husbands meds.

It is much cooler today, it is still hot but not like it has been....what a relief.  It has been a full time job keeping my new little trees watered, but they are looking good.

# August 5, 2009 3:57 PM

Anita said:

In my last class the Instructor told us for Practice she actually got a couple of twin sheets, (or even Muslin would work) for the back, and a big piece of printed fabric  for the top to practice on. Another time she used only a light colored  fabric for the top so she could see her quilting.

Good luck Spud

Anita

# September 3, 2009 7:23 PM

Stephanie said:

Pretty fabrics in this quilt. This pattern might work too with charms and jelly rolls? You have been a very busy girl between staining your deck and quilting.

# September 3, 2009 7:46 PM