Spudgrandma's Thoughts on Quilting & Life!

August 2009 - Posts

Finally, a quilt on the frame!

I finally got a quilt loaded on the frame, it took me the better part of a day. I took it off and started over 3 times. I thought I was going to wear out the quilt top before getting it loaded.

So, I have made one pass and it looks pretty good. I'm still nervous when standing at the frame, I do not want to mess it up.  I'm also nervous because I do really well going from left to right but not going from right to left.  I know that will come with practice, but it still makes my knees knock.  LOL

My Charm Pack & Jelly Roll quilt from H***

Some time ago I bought , 2 charm packs and 1 jelly roll.  The charms are mostly plaids and stripes the Jelly rolls are floral, strips & paisleys, the plaids and stripes are not cut straight  and to straighten them out I would end up with too much gone so they are going to be sewn together as is, even though they are crooked I guess I will use them in a quilt to throw in the car to have for a table cover or to throw on the ground if needed.

I sewed the charms in 4-patches with a narrow 1" solid red sashing and it will be what it is.The sashing across the width is 3" and since I had to piece it to get it wide enough, I decided to use the navy.  I am planning on putting a navy border and I'm gong to try to bind it with the remaining Jelly Roll strips and if need be I will add the solid fabric to get a piece long enough to bind.

I think I'm done with the charm packs as they are too limiting and I don't like not washing my fabric before sewing, it makes me itch, I don't like the chemicals in the fabric.  So here is the top sans the border.



Well, I guess  I do like it better but I'm still very disappointed and it is one of those things I will look at and see what is wrong with it instead of what is okay.  It actually does look much better in person than in the picture. I think the blue painters tape really adds something don't you? LOL

What a great trip!

We had a wonderful trip. Spent a full and partial day with my son's family and the kids had a great time. My granddaughter played her final soccer match this year and grandma thinks she was awesome!   It was 5- to 7-year-olds and they really did play well, I was impressed.

On the way up we stopped in Baker City and had lunch.  There is a restaurant that has an elaborate model train set up.  They have a large display as you enter and then the trains travel throughout the restaurant, going past tables and overhead.  The boys loved it.

On the way home we met my daughter and SIL in Halfway, OR.  We had lunch and then my SIL took the boys to the playground and my daughter and I went to the quilt shop.  I was really surprised, it was quite large and had lots of wonderful fabric. They also have a coffee shop and an antique store. They were doing some construction so I would really like to go back some day.

On the way to Hell's Canyon we stopped and picked huckleberries, it was a lot of fun the weather felt like fall.  After we had picked for awhile the youngest grandson sat down, on a somewhat flat spot, so grandma sat down with him.  He would look up at me and grin and say "you have a huckleberry for me?"  So cute and needless to say, grandma did not have any huckleberries left in her container when we got ready to go.... LOL


CAUTION - Rant Follows!

I have spent the day trying to get the windshield replaced in my pickup and I'm so frustrated. I hate dealing with businesses, it seems they are all alike. First you go through the if you want x push 1, then you push 1 and you get if you want x push 2, you get  the picture.  I finally have the appt set and they are supposed to come here to replace the glass, then I have to take off and go to town and get the oil changed and pick up a few things.  I still have to get the PU cleaned out in case I am leaving it tomorrow when I pickup the new car. It needs the cruise replaced, part of a recall (another story, another rant LOL)

I have not sewed one stitch today and I'm grumpy, really grumpy.

I'm on a Roll!

I have been busy this morning.  I finished 3 pillow cases and sewed the rows of my Fat 1/4 Breeze together. I have a bunch of Fat 1/4s so I may just have to make another one of these.

After lunch I'm going to cut out and sew the borders on and then see if I have enough batting here to finish it.  I will have to go to town to get some backing and maybe batting. I'm debating if I'm brave enough to load it and quilt it or if I want to do a practice quilt first.  I will have to swap out my leaders befor I do anything. 

I am making progress!!!

Here is a picture of my top completed. It is hanging kind of crooked, I was not tall enough even on the stool to put it up any better.


Time Flies!

Wow, time is flying by.  It seems like yesterday that we had our first child and now my oldest grandaughter is losing her first tooth and 3 of my grandchildren will be in Kindergarten this year. They grow up way too fast.

Well, I got the blocks all sewn together into the 4 rows and the border fabric ironed and ready to cut.  I hung two rows up on my wall, there wasn't room for all 4 rows. And even though I have totally messed up the instructions, I think it is just fine. It is sure a good way to get rid of a bunch of Fat 1/4s.

I played with the frame a bit, I sure hope at some point I get brave enough to put a real practice quilt on there, one that if it is not totally messed up when I'm done I can donate. 

The hot weather broke a little.  We had a rain shower last evening and that cooled things off a bit and it has been overcast today so only up to 98, its pretty sad when that feels cool... LOL