Spudgrandma's Thoughts on Quilting & Life!

I Think I'm in Love!

I finally did it. I loaded the practice sandwich, threaded the machine, flipped that switch and away I went. I cannot believe how nice the Brother sewed, nice even stitches, and the QCC (so far) is wonderful .

I didn’t  do very much because I was tired and hot from loading my little practice quilt. I can see already that I will probably have to get some diffrent leaders, I don’t think the fabric I bought is stiff enough and I’m afraid it may distort, but for the practice it will do. I may just look into buying some, as it may end up being cheaper than looking all over for fabric, Velcro, etc.

I’m really excited to get some more practice under my belt and then on to a real quilt.

I must admit that I had been wondering if I had made a mistake in buying the frame and the Brother. I was not sure if I would ever get it all put together and, when I did,  I was not sure I would be able to actually make it all work. I feel much better now.   I’m sure I will have problems but at least I know that it does do a nice job and I can learn how to quilt on the frame.

God Bless!

Comments

Tammy said:

Glad you're up and running.  Have fun!!!

# July 25, 2009 7:30 PM

Kris said:

I'm going to eat some ice cream in celebration for you, Spud. Isn't it awesome? I bought leaders from the Grace company. They are marked and make it easy to line up when pinning. I bought them from allbrands.com

# July 25, 2009 7:55 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Thanks Kris & Tammy,

It is a lot of fun.  I went across the whole way just trying out diffrent things. I had to stop to roll the practice quilt and decided I had better put things away. Grandsons come tomorrow, so I think I will throw a quilt across the frame to hide temptation.

# July 25, 2009 8:55 PM

Kim said:

How exciting!!  I envy you!!  In my very first post I asked for input on the Flynn frame - boy I'm glad I did.  Since then I have done a lot of research and think I'm going to go with New Joy.  I have a Brother 1500, so it should work perfectly with that frame.  It may be a few months before I actually get the frame, but I do know it's in my future.  I'm very fortunate I know.  Once that is all up & running I'll have to buy a new machine...

Enjoy quilting Sudgrandma!!  I'll be looking for your first project to roll off the frame.  :-)

# July 26, 2009 7:18 PM

gini said:

spud,  clapping and cheering here,   gini

# July 26, 2009 7:54 PM

Spudgrandma said:

How exciting for you Kim.

I am using a Brother 1500 on my Proflex and if I decided, at a later date, I can put a larger machine on my frame without buying anything, just need to rearrange a few things on the frame.  So I left my options open.

# July 26, 2009 8:10 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Thank you Gini. I'm quite excited myself, I was beginning to think I was never going to get it all to come together.

# July 26, 2009 8:17 PM

Thea said:

Spud - I am so so happy for you - I have a Gracie frame but neither of my sewing machines worked correctly on it - they aren't built for that type of sewing... although you think they would be so I have been searching for a machine that would work - everyone keeps telling me about the Tin Lizzy - but i don't want to buy another frame - I have one - Gammil came out with a mid arm that goes on it but again you have to buy the frame with it and I have a frame...

I am glad to hear that you like the Brother 1500 and will look into it - for the moment I am quilting on my machine at the sewing table - it is working okay... for now... but in a year - who knows -

Happy days are here again for Spud and we can't wait to see all the quilts she puts out now -

Where are those pictures???

# July 26, 2009 9:08 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Althea,

Is your Gracie limited on what you can use size wise.  My Brother has a 9" throat and I hope to, maybe, replace it one day with something bigger.  I do know that the Tin Lizzie is one of the heaviest. I don't want a long arm, I don't think I need one and certainly cannot justify the cost, but maybe a mid-arm.  I have considered having my Brother stretched or maybe looking into a Bailey.  I may just stick with what I have.  If I decided to go bigger, my frame will handle up to a 17" throat.  I guess you can put a bigger one on it but it will only quilt up to 17".

# July 26, 2009 10:19 PM