Spudgrandma's Thoughts on Quilting & Life!

Lap Quilt for my MIL

My mother-in-law has cancer and has been taking chemo off-and-on since Sept of last year.  She is always cold, so for Christmas last year I made her a lap quilt, it is backed with Minkee and she has it with her all the time.

This was made with Charm Packs and Jelly Rolls, I kind of just made it up as I went.

Comments

Stephanie said:

Spudgrandma, I just love the soft colors in this quilt. They are very comforting. So sweet of you to do this for your mother-in-law as she battles her cancer.  You have given me inspiration on what to do with those charm packs and strips. I never thought of combining them like this. Thanks for sharing.

# July 25, 2009 7:45 AM

Spudgrandma said:

I really liked the colors also (I bought it to make a lap quilt for me) and the Minkee back is so soft. I ended up tying it because the Minkee is so slick and I would have had to do it on my machine (I did not have my frame at the time) although I'm not sure I would try the Minkee on the frame. Maybe when I get better at it I'll rethink that.

I could not find a pattern for using both of them so I just winged it, which is how I usually do everything. I cannot wait to see what you do with yours.

# July 25, 2009 2:27 PM

Kris said:

Nice quilt Spud. The colours are great. I think maybe if it were quilted with the minkee on top it might work in the frame you'll have better control of it. I don't know...maybe I'll try that sometime.

# July 25, 2009 7:59 PM

Spudgrandma said:

After you try, let me know how it works.  Actually, it would still be some time before I would try, I still need to figure out what I'm doing on the frame.

# July 25, 2009 9:55 PM

Thea said:

You did a great job - I have a friend who backed a lot of her quilts with Minkee and she had a professional long arm quilter do them - she said they worked great - I did her bindings and I can tell you I didn't see any thing wrong with them.

I did the Fairy quilts with Minkee and didn't have a problem... I think you might have to anchor them more but that shouldn't be a problem... but then I don't quilt on a frame at this time...

# July 26, 2009 9:12 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Althea,

Thank you so much for  the kind words.

I did not quilt this one I tied it. I did not have my frame and I was pretty sure it would be difficult to machine quilt so I tied it. It turned out really nice and my MIL uses it every day which I appreciate.

# August 11, 2009 1:05 AM

Helen Bell said:

beautiful quilt...I just made my Mum a Faery quilt for her to take to her chemo treatments..it is backed with sunflower flannel and is in springish colours...she has taken it a few times but she says that it is so beautiful that she doesn't want to associate her Cancer with the quilt...I can understand but I told her I would make her another one for when she has beaten her cancer..she is having her surgery in a month..fingers crossed for her

# August 11, 2009 12:21 PM