Spudgrandma's Thoughts on Quilting & Life!

My Quilt Obsession?

Am I obsessed?  I finished my 2nd NICU quilt and I'm getting faster at this.  But, I tossed and turned all night thinking about my next quilt. I am starting an Irish Chain, I actually started the process as I was finishing up the NICU quilt, and I planned it all night long. LOL.

My frame is supposed to arrive today and, even though I will probably not have it set up right away, I did not sleep much for all the planning.  I'm trying to decide what to use on it for a machine.  I cannot afford a long-arm and even a midarm, at this point, is out of the question.  I had planed on using my Janome 6600, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that I did not want to wear out my Janome, I love it for sewing and piecing.  So now I am considering a Brother 1500 and then when I can I will have it stretched.  Hopefully, by then I will have the frame figured out and have some quilt tops ready to go.

I'm starting to think that I may love the planning and dreaming as much as the doing.

T Lynn - aka /Spudgm

Comments

Spudgrandma said:

My frame arrived a little while ago. It is sitting out on the porch, the box is kind of heavy so I  will wait for my husband. If he ends up not coming tonight, I guess I will have to give it a try and bring it in.

I'm excited but more than a little bit nervous also!

# June 23, 2009 4:58 PM

Stephanie said:

This is the best kind of anxiety I can relate to. I liken it to the "little children at Christmas" that can't sleep because they know that they have presents. Exciting. I'm the same way.  My doctor told me people with anxiety are the ones that get things done. we have everything worked out before we even start the project. Just remember that all living creatures need rest. I hope the Brother machine works out for you, but it sounds like you'll also research all the machines in your price range before making that final decision. keep us posted and let us know how the set up goes.

# June 23, 2009 5:33 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Thanks Stephanie,

You are correct that I have researched and now feel like I'm on overload. I think I have narrowed it down to the Brother 1500 for now and then possibly have it stretched at a later date.

# June 24, 2009 1:26 PM

Connie Griffin said:

Hello,

I hope you got the frame into the house!  I live in Boise so if you are close by I might be able to help.

Are you going to the Boise Basin Quilters quilt show this weekend?  It's at the Boise Center on the Grove from 10am - 5pm both days.  You might be able to get some other ideas there, too.

Good luck with your quilting!

Connie

# June 26, 2009 9:34 PM

Connie Griffin said:

Hi Tangie,

How has setting up the frame/machine gone?  What frame did you get?  Have you gotten the Brother yet?

I was at the Quilt Show last weekend so didn't really get any sewing done, but am going to be working on a customer quilt this weekend.  My head is already speeding out of control past this, and the next 2 projects, to a new quilt!

Maybe I should stop reading the magazines, eh?

I am interested in how the new setup is going for you!

Connie

# July 2, 2009 1:19 PM

Spudgrandma said:

Connie,

Sorry I did not get back to you.  I keep forgetting to check here... LOL

I did get it set up and got the Brother, but have not got the Brother on the frame.  I have had the grandkids and I'm going to need my husband to help me put the machine on the first time.  I need to make the leaders and wanted to make them with the Brother so I would get a feel for the machine. It is looking like it will be another week of two before I even get to try it out. I also ordered the Quilters Cruise Control for the Brother and have not received that yet, although I understand it is really easy to install so if I get the rest of it set up before the QCC comes I will probably go ahead and try it out.  I think I will get a couple of sheets and sandwich them to try it out. If they are not totally ugly when done I will donate them.

Thank you so much for asking and I'm really sorry I did not answer sooner.

# July 11, 2009 4:14 PM

gini said:

hi spud, you have everyone on pins and needles over your frame.    do you want me to come down and watch kids or cook and clean, so you have more time?   o.k., maybe not clean, i hate that, but the others i could help with.    and i can't believe you could make something totally ugly.  gini :)

# July 13, 2009 11:41 AM