Dahlia, Attaching the flower

I have attached the flower to the first border. Going against the plan of doing more y seams (not that they were difficult) I have made a teflon template without the seam lines and pressed the edges of the flowers so that I could put the flower on a more solid background. I think it will look better than another circle and all the extra seams. I have also opted using a metallic thread to applique a machine stitch around the edges of the flower. Very time consuming, and the jury is still out on whether of not I did the right thing.   I'm not sure I like the metallic pink against the particular shade of green.

Published Sun, Jun 13 2010 2:38 PM by Stephanie

Comments

# re: Dahlia, Attaching the flower @ Sunday, June 13, 2010 3:05 PM

Stephanie this is so beautiful you must have the patience of a saint but it was worth all the work and it really is a work of art. I like the color of thread  as it stands out well and picks up some of the colors further in.It brings out  some of the other fabrics  and I think works well.When will you be posting it to me LOL.

# re: Dahlia, Attaching the flower @ Sunday, June 13, 2010 5:02 PM

Thank you Jay-Marie. What a wonderful compliment. Bringing in the inner pinks was just what I was hoping to accomplish and I'm tickled that you could pick that out.

# re: Dahlia, Attaching the flower @ Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:25 PM

Oh steph,

I like the pink metalic thread. You truely are an artist. This quilt is going to be absolutly breath taking. I hope that you will enter it in a fair or quilt show.

I love it.

by Wendy

# re: Dahlia, Attaching the flower @ Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:53 PM

wow ! i love the stitching, to.  everything about this quilt is wonderful   way to go   gini

by gini

# re: Dahlia, Attaching the flower @ Sunday, June 13, 2010 9:00 PM

I am truly overwhelmed and what an incentive to put my "all" into this.

# re: Dahlia, Attaching the flower @ Monday, June 14, 2010 7:09 AM

I like the metallic thread too Stephanie. There is just enough contrast against the green background and it really defines the edges of your flower.

It's coming along nicely.

by Kris

# re: Dahlia, Attaching the flower @ Monday, June 14, 2010 9:35 AM

Stephanie - Interesting to see how this all came together through the sequence of blogs.  I love it.  Such a lot of work - you are to be commended on your patience to piece this, literally one piece at a time.  I love the decorative stitching.  Can't wait to see what else you do in finishing this quilt.  Kudos my friend!

by Kathy D

# re: Dahlia, Attaching the flower @ Monday, June 14, 2010 10:07 AM

Stephanie everything about this quilt is stunning.  I love your thread work .. it really makes the dahlia pop right off the green,  You have done an amazing job on this.  Kudos to you.

by Nana

# re: Dahlia, Attaching the flower @ Tuesday, June 15, 2010 1:05 PM

Can't wait to see the end result.  This is quite an undertaking and you are doing a spectacular job.  I enjoy seeing the work-in-progress postings also.

by Dale

# re: Dahlia, Attaching the flower @ Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:20 PM

Kathy, Nana, Dale,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I can't wait to get back to it.

# re: Dahlia, Attaching the flower @ Sunday, July 18, 2010 10:56 AM

Stephanie, just looked at your blog now and WOW do I love your Dahlia quilt and all the others.  We'll have to talk on how you designed that border on EQ as I need help with that!

Love how you made the desk custom for your machine.  You are very talented!

by Jean