SnugglesQuilts's Blog

Deanne Eisenman, Pattern Designer

Work Spaces and Big Dreams!

I was thinking about work spaces the other day and thought I'd do an informal survey.  Where do you do your quilting?  Do you have a permanent set up or do you have to take everything out and then put it away when you are done?  We are lucky to have an extra room in our house on the main floor.  It is intended to be a fourth bedroom, but we started using it as an office when we moved in 13 years ago.  It's still partially an office (computer, TV and large desk for files, etc) but I was able to convince my husband to let me set up my sewing space in the remaining area.  Now, don't get too jealous....the whole room measures about 10' x 10'.  Subtract about 3 feet for the area the desk, TV, etc take up and that leaves me about a 7 x 10' area.

I really am thrilled though!  I salvaged an old kitchen cabinet for my cutting table which gives me great height for cutting (36"), put in some build-it-yourself shelves and drawers and put shelves in the closet and there you go....instant workspace.  I lined the outside of the closet doors with picnic table clothes with the felted underside out for a design wall.  I only have room for a small ironing board so when I have to iron large pieces of fabric, I do have to take them to the laundry room.  Oh well, nothing's perfect!

Would I trade my space for a large, airy, studio?  Yes!  But this shows, you can make do with what you have.  Even if it's just half of a spare room.  Two great assets in this room are the large east and south facing windows. Now that I would not trade.  Even on a snowy, winter day being able to enjoy looking outside while sewing is a great mood lifter!

Keep an eye out for the Blog Tour I am in for Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks issue.  I will post a photo of my block when it's time for the tour.  It happens November 8-12.  You can tour many designer's blogs, see their blocks and be eligible for prizes.  Look for the magazine on newsstands in November!

Published Mon, Oct 25 2010 3:57 PM by Deanne Eisenman

Comments

# re: Work Spaces and Big Dreams!@ Monday, October 25, 2010 4:52 PM

I also have a office/sewing room. I have tables along one wall and computer on the other and a path in between. It works though

Granny M

# re: Work Spaces and Big Dreams!@ Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:56 AM

You sewing room looks great.  I also sew in a spare bedroom, cut in the other one and have my quilt frame in the living room :) I've sort of taken over the whole house... Thanks for sharing your room.

# re: Work Spaces and Big Dreams!@ Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:03 AM

Love your work space.  I have a 6 x 8 corner in the family room that I use for my sewing space.  I would love to have a big room but this space works fine.

by Nana

# re: Work Spaces and Big Dreams!@ Tuesday, October 26, 2010 4:48 PM

I do my sewing in a corner of my living room. I live with my husband in a one-bedroom in Chicago, and it's pretty tight. But I have a clean space and keep everything pretty tidy, so it's okay.

Still, I rotary cut on a mat on the floor and have to step over my husband's computer cords to get to the ironing board. That stinks, but I still love the quilts I make!

Your space looks so cozy!

# re: Work Spaces and Big Dreams!@ Wednesday, October 27, 2010 12:15 PM

Deanne:  When I decided to purchase a double wide manufactured home, I was able to change a few things from the factory plan.  I had a set of three windows put in a corner of a third bedroom that would face the mountain.  Since I have a large acreage here, and I live alone I got to place this house to take the best of the views from each side and end.

I have a table that is 48" wide and 36" deep that I have setting on bed risers where I do my planning and cutting.  I have one whole 12' wall with shelves, where my fabric resides along with all of the notions, sewing machines, TV and antique's. I have a design wall that hangs over the fabric to protect it from the sun, but when I'm in the planning stage that gets moved to another spare bedroom.

Then of course the sewing cabinet and full sized ironing board.

In my kitchen I have a island that is built with a base cabinet that is 36" high and the top is 28"deep and 40"wide, plus an attached table that is 4 1/2 feet long and 28" wide with a plug in on the base cabinet.  That makes for a great space to cut and sew when I have a sewing buddy as a quest!

I hope to have something similar built to fit my winter house.

Thanks for letting us share and sharing your space.

Snowbird

# re: Work Spaces and Big Dreams!@ Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:04 PM

I have a den with two walls of windows with my computer table, two sewing machine cabinets with 3 sewing machines and the serger on them. One wall is all counter top with cabinets below and that is where I paint looking out the windows. Through the sliding glass doors is a three season sun porch (all windows) where I have 2 large banquet tables together for laying out and sandwiching. I have a draftsman table where I cut my fabric. I have a tall cabinet where my stash is. Then there's bins of squares and kits and UFO's under the tables and some shelves on the other wall. I share this every day with four cats and my DH who also works at home and his space is the dining room! So far the kitchen is still a kitchen.

# re: Work Spaces and Big Dreams!@ Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:51 PM

Thanks for sharing everyone!  It's fun to hear about everyone's sewing spaces.  I love to quilt and would probably find a way to do it any where!  That is why I am grateful for the space I have.

If you haven't shared about your space yet, I'd love to hear.

# re: Work Spaces and Big Dreams!@ Friday, October 29, 2010 2:03 PM

i have two rooms rented downtown. we knocked the wall out between them.  i have two large tables for cutting, with my quilting machine on one end.   i have another large sewing cabinet for my piecing machine.   and

4 walls of shelves for my fabric.  i have another wall with my design wall.   sigh    i wish it were bigger, but i suppose i would just fill it up.  it would be nice to have more natural light, but then i would worry about fading.  i loook out over the tops of some buildings, so i can't get lost in a pretty view.       gini

by gini

# re: Work Spaces and Big Dreams!@ Thursday, November 4, 2010 7:32 PM

I have a 14X20 quilting studio that I built on to my house 2 years ago. I have 3 fabric pantries that my brother built for me that holds my stash. I have 8 feet of cabinets that I store batting and other large things like tote bags, etc. And that is where my printer and TV sit, on the counter top. Then I have my computer desk in here as well. And all my collection of books, and quilty antiques. I love my space. It is a dream come true for me. I have a large north window, and a large east window, and on the west is my patio door that leads to my deck. If I had a microwave and a potty in here I would not have to leave my room.