"Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata

This is from a Jan Krentz book titled "Lone Star Quilts and Beyond". I have been quilting for about 30 years and of all the quilts I've made, I've never entered them in a show. I wanted to challenge myself and start showing some of them. This is my very first show quilt. I am still waiting to find out if I'm juried in so I'm crossing my fingers. I used commercial fabrics along with some batiks. For thread I used King Tut variegated and Superior Glitter metallics. I couched with Superior Razzle Dazzle. I added some sparkle with Swarovski crystals and glass seed and bugle beads on the front and back. Some jewelry findings add a bit of variety. I couldn't find a binding I liked so I pieced my own with fabrics from the quilt. Love to hear your thoughts!

Here is a shot of the back:

A detail shot of the corner:

Here you can see the crystals on the quilt top:

And here is a closeup shot of the back:

Comments

Norma wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Wednesday, 6 October 2010, 9:37 PM

Jerry, this is stunning beyond words!  What amazingly beautiful detail, the colors are gorgeous and the extra touches make it truly unique.  I say first prize hands down!

Annette wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Wednesday, 6 October 2010, 10:47 PM

Wow, wow, and W-O-W.  You really should enter that one in some show/contest.  It's got my vote for a top prize.  A simply amazing job.

Nana wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Wednesday, 6 October 2010, 11:15 PM

Breathtaking.  You have done an amazing job.  I can't even imagine doing something of this ability.  Absolutely stunning.

Barbara wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Wednesday, 6 October 2010, 11:55 PM

Jerry .all I can say is WOW , You are truly gifted.thanks you so much for sharing with is .Barbara

Patti wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 12:03 AM

I have been checking frequently to see if your quilt was in 'show and tell."  And here it is!  To very totally amazing.  Even before the embellishment, then   WOW!

Kris wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 3:41 AM

Jerry, my hat's off to you. This is an amazing quilt. Thanks for sharing. You've got my vote.

Leslie wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 5:42 AM

unbelievable Oh it is so beautiful.

Pat wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 7:12 AM

Fantastic.  Both sides are beautiful.  Definately 1st place.  Thanks for sharing.

Gloria wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 7:44 AM

A true work of art.  Frist place for sure

Prairie Dog wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 9:40 AM

I am humbled.  You should be very proud of your work.  If you don't get juried in. . . well that would be a BIG mistake.  Great job.

Joni wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 9:47 AM

Such artistry!  You are definitely very talented.  Am I wrong in asuming this is only a show quilt, for display only?  Does not matter, it is just amazing, you definitely have an artistic eye for color and placement.

Dawn wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 10:21 AM

What a fabulous quilt! Awesome colors and to have the back look as stunning as the front!  What a terrific job!!!  You should be very, very proud!!!!   Wow!

Snowbird Quilter wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 10:39 AM

Jerry:  This just takes a person's breath away!  What a beauty!  Wonderful stitching.  This just has to be a prize winner.  Please be sure to let us know.

Jerry wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 3:26 PM

I am TRULY humbled by all your kind comments...thank you SO MUCH! I do have great news. I went to my mailbox today and there was a letter from the quilt show I entered this quilt into. I GOT JURIED IN! My FIRST show ever! I'm so excited! I have to drop off the quilt on Nov. 4 for judging. I don't even care if I win anything, just to be juried in is a THRILL! I'll be all goosebumps to see my quilt hanging there with all the others!

Thanks again, Jerry

chocake2 wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 7:13 PM

If you don't take the very top honors with this, I won't understand it. It's absolutely amazing! You do beautiful work!

CJ Hines wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 7:14 PM

Spectacular!!!

Applekrisp wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 8:47 PM

Breathtaking!  That's all I can say.  If they don't give you best of show, I'll be stunned!

Catherine wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 9:10 PM

Wow

Eileen wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 9:46 PM

Jerry, this is absolutely amazing!  My husband is impressed beyond measure as am I.  What a stunningly beautiful quilt!  Did you use variegated thread in the bobbin or did you quilt it with the back up?  OK, I just looked back at your post - metallics on top (?) & variegated in the bobbin (?). The effect is wonderful :-)  I'm rooting for you to win & I will be shocked if you don't.  Thank you so much for sharing this treasure with us :-)

Shellie wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 10:00 PM

Absolutely stunning!  I showed my sons who are beginning quilters and they were very excited and impressed.  They have aspirations now to be as good as you when they are grown.  Thank you for sharing a truly beautiful and inspirational work of art with us!

gini wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 10:35 PM

jerry,   WOW,   georgeous quilt. should be a first prize shoe-in       gini

Lola M wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 10:37 PM

Congratulations on getting your quilt into the show.  I think your quilt is amazing.

Annette wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 7 October 2010, 11:00 PM

Jerry - So glad to hear you got this quilt into a juried show.  Which one and where?  I bet if its close to any of us, we would love to see this in person and give it our vote.  It definitely deserves to be seen.   I hope they can show both the front and back.

mbunney wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Friday, 8 October 2010, 6:31 AM

Absolutely beautiful

Jerry wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Friday, 8 October 2010, 10:22 AM

Thanks again for all your kind comments!

Annette, the show I am now in is part of the World Quilt Show which will be in West Palm Beach, Florida. They are holding a separate Florida state-wide competition in conjuction with the World show. I have to say, if anyone can come to this show, it is truly amazing! I went last year and the quilts just blew me away in their colors, techniques, and overall effect. There were probably 500 quilts on display! It's a GREAT chance to see what some of the quilters from around the world are doing. Some of the Japanese quilts were unbelieveable! One quilt from Germany had 50,000 swarovski crystals on it...amazing! It's very cool to see what fabrics they have available to them and how they think and put things together. The show goes on tour and it ends in Florida so check the Mancuso Quilt Show website to see if a show is coming to your area...it's truly worth seeing!

Jerry wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Friday, 8 October 2010, 10:26 AM

Annette, also, the back will have a 4" sleeve and a fabric label with my name on address on it which will cover up some of the quilting. It's part of the rules. I know judges look at both sides of the quilt so I"m sure they'll see what I did on the back and look beyond the label and sleeve. Plus, I'd rather cover up some quilting than be disqualified! lol

Jerry

jodekema wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Friday, 8 October 2010, 11:30 AM

That is amazing :) very beautiful. You should enter this!

Deb

Helen Bell wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Friday, 8 October 2010, 4:03 PM

OMG!!! that is totally amazing ... you have done some amazing work..thanks for sharing

Diane Morgan wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Friday, 8 October 2010, 4:14 PM

Jerry, this is absolutely stunning. Congrats on getting into the show......this quilt more deserves to be in a world show. How long did it take you to do this? It is magnificent.

danahines wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Friday, 8 October 2010, 6:17 PM

this is an absolutely stunning quilt....way beyond anything I do!  I love the use of color and the extra embellishments are perfect......I wish you much luck and hope you win 1st place!

Carol wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Friday, 8 October 2010, 9:53 PM

I am absolutely speechless!!  Sure winner!!

Barbara wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Friday, 8 October 2010, 10:44 PM

Jerry ,Good luck at the show ,we will all be waiting to hear .Barbara

Terri-Lynn wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Saturday, 9 October 2010, 12:03 PM

I don't really have anything to add that the others already haven't, but my God your quilt is beautiful!  I can't even say which side I like better.  This is the stuff I aspire to.  Very,very nice!

Cheryl Allison wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Saturday, 9 October 2010, 2:02 PM

Stunning!

Jerry wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Sunday, 10 October 2010, 12:43 AM

I'm going to hire all of you to stand in my studio and encourage me when I yell and scream at my fabrics and machine...LOL! So good for my ego! Thanks again!

One thing I love to do is teach and help anyone who needs it. There have been a few posts about this is what some folks aspire to. Well...let's get you there! What would you like to know about any techniques or details you see? I'll try and explain as best I can...then I'll stand in YOUR studios and encourage YOU...lol.

Bev St.Amant wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Sunday, 10 October 2010, 8:35 AM

Absolutely stunning!  Now I really will be critical on my quilts.  Fantastic!!  First prize for sure.

BonnieMac wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Sunday, 10 October 2010, 7:29 PM

The back of your quilt is an intriging as the front of the quilt!  Wow...what a wonderful quilt.  Congrats on making this fantastic quilt!

BonnieMac wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Sunday, 10 October 2010, 7:29 PM

MNnancy wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Sunday, 10 October 2010, 9:18 PM

Extraordinary! Love it! Best of luck at the show!

Bonita wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Monday, 11 October 2010, 7:13 PM

Beautiful is to mild a word to describe your work. It's a winner with all of us. Good luck in the show.

jay-marie wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Tuesday, 12 October 2010, 1:15 PM

Jerry this is a truely stunning quilt. You deserve to win. I have never seen so many comments for show and tell before so it shows how many people love it.

Marge (AKA Dimples) wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Tuesday, 12 October 2010, 3:31 PM

Jerry - best of luck with your quilt.  It is truely a work of art.  Makes my feeble efforts look like amateur hour.  :o)  But that's OK because like every other quilter out here, it is the joy of doing it.  I will nevber be able to turn out such stunning work but it gives us all something to Ooh and Aah over and aspire to.  Thank you so much for sharing.

Stephanie wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Tuesday, 12 October 2010, 5:00 PM

Jerry,

Outstanding!!!!

robertap wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Wednesday, 13 October 2010, 9:19 AM

WOW and WOW again!  Your 30 years experience is evident in this masterpiece.  You are definitely a winner in my eyes.  Best of luck in your show submissions.

Roberta

Staunton, VA

Jan Turner wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 14 October 2010, 10:47 PM

You deserve the winner's circle.  What an amazing work of art and display of talent.  Your colors are intense, and your skill is enviable.  Most of the members of the Quilters Club of America would give our first born to be able to produce this kind of work.  Top drawer.  Well done.

Jan

Salt Lake City, UT

Linderlucy wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Sunday, 17 October 2010, 11:32 AM

The Lone Star has always been  one of my favorites.  Love the colors and all the extra little details that you have included.  I think first prize is in the bag.   Good Luck.  Love it.

Wismom wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Sunday, 17 October 2010, 6:41 PM

Absolutely breathtaking!

Shirl wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 21 October 2010, 9:48 PM

This quilt is truly a work of art! It has great eye appeal and fantastic workmanship.

Jerry wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Tuesday, 16 November 2010, 2:56 PM

UPDATE:

Well, the show ended on two days ago. I didn't win and didn't ribbon in any category. The judges said it was a beautiful piece and loved the coloring, but didn't like the big jewelry findings in the four corners. They said they were too big for this piece. Oh well...

I was just honored to be juried in. I'm thinking of re-making this quilt only with more detail and bigger. Bigger is better at shows!

Thanks for all your positive and great comments!

MNnancy wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Friday, 3 December 2010, 10:55 PM

Well, you won Best of Show with us!  Thanks again for sharing your competition entry and experience with us.

Patty wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Tuesday, 7 December 2010, 2:53 PM

Wow!  This is a gorgeous creation!

Patty wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Tuesday, 7 December 2010, 2:56 PM

Jerry, could you explain how you quilted the front and back?  Did you do this separately?  I am a new quilter so your explanation would help.

Jerry wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 9 December 2010, 9:04 PM

MNnancy...thank you SO much. You are very kind to say so!

Patty...In the bobbin I used the same thread as I did on the top. As I quilted, the design came out on the back. I used a solid back so the quilting would show. When you do this, you have to be careful that your tension is very even top and bottom. If you want to try this, I suggest doing a sample. Use a piece of fabric from your quilt top, your batting of choice, and your choice of backing fabric. This "sandwich" only needs to be about 8 x 10. Then pick the thread you want to use, set up your machine and practice on this sample. That way you can check your tension front and back easily. I do a sample like this before quilting any quilt. It's really helpful when using odd threads like metallics, monofilaments, polyesters...etc.

Sometimes these odd threads can play tricks on your tension and it's better to find out on a sample than halfway through your quilt!

Also, WELCOME to the world of quilting. It's a very rewarding hobby, or in my case...passion! I would be VERY happy to help you and/or answer any questions you might have! Ask away!

ANNAJ-2 wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Saturday, 18 December 2010, 11:27 AM

Jerry, that's the most stunning quilt that I have ever seen, even if you did not win for the judges, you are a thru winner for all of us.   The colors are spetacular it would brigthen up any area.

Is this quilt pattern Paper piecing?

Thank you for sharring it!

Anna

ANNAJ-2 wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Saturday, 18 December 2010, 11:27 AM

Is this quilt pattern Paper piecing?

Thank you for sharring it!

Anna

Brenda wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Tuesday, 18 January 2011, 8:18 PM

WOW! It's a winner!

bjdemir@msn.com wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Wednesday, 19 January 2011, 11:45 PM

Beautiful job.  Certainly worthy of being juried.  Good luck.

megan.clinton wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 20 January 2011, 7:06 AM

WOW, that is really all I can say, other than I hope some day I can make something remotely that beautiful. Fantastic job!

jnaatz@rocketmail.com wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 20 January 2011, 7:14 AM

Can't imagine the hours of thought that went into the planning at each stage of production of this quilt, much less the hours of sewing. It's beauty is immeasurable. I would expect to see accolades for any number of reasons. Absolutely love the embellishments quilting choices. Thanks for sharing your immense talent.

Gagoo wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Saturday, 29 January 2011, 6:32 PM

i second that notion..."All I can say is WOW!" I could not imagine undertaking a project like that. Gorgeous, BLUE RIBBON winner for sure

Vivian wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 10 February 2011, 4:47 PM

I have never been to a quilt show.  is it typical to add findings to quilts?  i never have i just rely on the top and the quilting.  not for a moment that i do anything even close to this calibre.  Absolutely amazing.

do you think they'll ever get spell check on these sites?

schurrquilts wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Monday, 13 June 2011, 8:02 PM

Wow.....this deserves to win prizes.....it is so nice.....I have yet to enter shows as I am busy long arm quilting for everyone else....Someday I will take the holiday I need and spend it in the studio just doing my stuff....Kudo's to you for all the work and the calibre of work you did on this work of art.

Christine Scott wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Wednesday, 15 June 2011, 7:28 AM

That is just beautiful.  I would love to see that at a show.  Good luck!

Mary Ann wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Friday, 5 August 2011, 2:41 PM

Jerry this is the most beautiful colorful quilt I have seen.  You did a fantastic job with the colors.  I know God blessed you with this talent.  It reminds me of the glory of God in heaven.  Again all praise goes to you.  Mary Ann

Judy Gilliland wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Wednesday, 23 November 2011, 2:30 PM

I know this is an older post, but I just now saw it and am amazed! Wow what workmanship. I can't imagine anything this beaituful NOT winning.....it is just beautiful...wonderful, lovely, what an asset to own. Your work is beautiful...LOVE IT..and the colors, really wonderful.....so in all of OUR eyes you are a winner!

It brightened my day just seeing it! Thanks!

Judy

Bayla Singer wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Tuesday, 29 November 2011, 10:06 PM

Oh my oh my!  What a gorgeous feast for the eyes!  I'm so sorry I've come late to the QCA and missed the show; I live in Palm Beach Gardens, bordering on West Palm Beach!

I would still have been standing in front of that quilt, mesmerized, when they closed the show.

-- Bayla

Carolyn wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Wednesday, 7 December 2011, 9:27 AM

Very impressive!!  The hours working show

Lois wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Monday, 5 March 2012, 1:33 PM

Older post or not, this is truly a beautiful work of art. Thank you for sharing it!

jeter wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Wednesday, 7 March 2012, 1:05 PM

WOW!  Your quilt has Pow power!  How long did this creation of art take you to accomplish?  I am in the crib (infant) stage with my quilting.  You have inspired me to keep muttling through the mistakes to create something better.

scroswaite wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Tuesday, 1 May 2012, 5:23 PM

Well I don't agree with the judges at all; your quilt is absolutely gorgeous in every way.  I'm truly impresssed with how your quilting created such an incredible design on the back; you could use it as a top it's so dramatic.  Keep at it and don't let the turkeys get you down.

Vicki wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Sunday, 24 June 2012, 6:30 PM

This is quilt is stunning. Great job, I hope you win first prize!

Pamela wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Saturday, 7 July 2012, 11:38 AM

Wow, great project and wonderful work!!!

Paula Brackman wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Thursday, 6 September 2012, 1:34 PM

This quilt is stunning  on both sides. Love your choice of colors and designs and the quilting. Every thing is just so well done

Jan Armstrong wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Sunday, 6 January 2013, 4:47 PM

I am completely awed by your work.  I have come back to this site 4 times today just to sit and stare at your marvelous craftsmanship.  Absolutely breathtaking.  There is such a feeling of caring given to every inch of your work.  I'm your fan!

MorelCabinCreations wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Tuesday, 5 February 2013, 2:37 PM

Wow!  This is an amazing work you've done!!  Just stunning!

Dawn wrote re: "Solar Storm" by Jerry Granata
on Tuesday, 5 November 2013, 3:55 PM

OMG that is beautiful, absolutely stunning. Good luck in the competition.