"Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.

I made this quilt out of ties. I was inspired by Eleanor Burns' dresden plate quilt in Fon's and Porters Nov. , Dec. 2006 magazine.  I saw the quilt and automatically thought this would be a great quilt to do with ties . I think it came out really great and I had a terrific time making it.

Comments

Pam wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Sunday, 26 September 2010, 12:26 PM

Very clever was to recycle those ties that hubby, Dad or Grandpa collected over the years but may be out of style.

Eileen wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Sunday, 26 September 2010, 5:16 PM

Great use for old ties! Isn't it fun to take something old & make something new from it? Thanks for sharing :-)

Mary wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Sunday, 26 September 2010, 5:25 PM

I like your idea. I have prepared all my husbands old ties, but then got stuck on what to do with them (quilt book was no help even tho it was for quilts using old ties).  this looks like something I can tackle. how did u prepare your ties?

Patti wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Sunday, 26 September 2010, 5:33 PM

I like this the best of any tie quilts I have seen.  Nice job!

CJ Hines wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Sunday, 26 September 2010, 5:44 PM

I'm usually not a big fan of using ties in quilts but your quilt is fabulous!

gini wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Sunday, 26 September 2010, 6:24 PM

cheryl, beautiful quilt.    i had a patient once who had the most beautiful silk ties,  a new one every time he came in.  i asked him once, "so, what do you do with all the ties you no longer wear?"    without missing a beat, he looked me in the eye and said, " you are not cutting up ANY of my ties for quilts"      gini

Nana wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Sunday, 26 September 2010, 9:15 PM

Beautiful quilt.  I have a bunch of ties that I have been trying to decide what I wanted to do with them.  Have to keep this in mind.  Gorgeous.

Barbara wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Sunday, 26 September 2010, 9:29 PM

Cheryl,beautiful quilt.thanks for sharing..Barbara

Kris wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Tuesday, 28 September 2010, 8:42 PM

Wonderful way to recycle Cheryl. Your quilt is beautiful.

cheryl132 wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Friday, 1 October 2010, 3:51 PM

Thank you to all that commented on my quilt. I really enjoyed making it . It was quit the challenge . Thank you again.

caroleecreates23 wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Saturday, 2 October 2010, 10:23 PM

I really like this too. Are you going to share your secret on 'how to' for this quilt? It is a great idea. Thanks for showing it to us.

sandra br wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Friday, 8 October 2010, 6:55 AM

Hello Cheryl! I like your idea very much!

Bonnie Schoenthaler wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Monday, 22 November 2010, 7:13 PM

Have lots of tie ends. How do I get started? Bonnie

colleen pflieger wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Wednesday, 9 March 2011, 6:12 PM

Very nice. My father had so many ties and I have been looking for a pattern to use.Thanks for sharing.

Island Girl wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Saturday, 11 June 2011, 11:25 AM

I love what you have done. I think that this is a great idea for using ties. I may even borrow it myself.

Sherri

Alice Happe wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Saturday, 15 October 2011, 6:20 PM

I collect neckties to attach to the "Ugly Quilts"  aka " Sleeping Bags for the Homeless" .  Last year I

completed 55 and delivered. 10/29 about 200 meet and complete maybe 400 bags and deliver them.

Takes two ties per bag, so recipient can carry the bag on his/her shoulder.  Check your area for a

location to donate fabric pieces/ties to help the homeless.  Nationwide project.

AllieOoops wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Tuesday, 8 November 2011, 12:36 PM

I am gathering fabric for a Crazy memory quilt for my sister - I am curious as to where one finds the ties - my DH has never worn any ties - and are the washable?

Anita Coutu wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Sunday, 15 April 2012, 12:32 PM

This is so inspirational to me as I am a waste not want not kinda girl and passionate tree hugger, you've created beauty out of the cast offs of others = great job!

SuzyCraftMaker wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Sunday, 11 November 2012, 10:07 AM

I have over 400 ties and periodically make a crazy quilt block with them - some I keep for a potential quilt and some I have made into toss pillows as gifts. I'm now contemplating doing a "bow tie" quilt as this seemed so appropriate!

MNgutsygal wrote re: "Tie Quilt" by Cheryl B.
on Wednesday, 11 September 2013, 12:26 PM

A neighbor is going to give me his tie collection. His wife found out I was a quilter at National Night Out. Thanks for sharing.

MN Deb