"Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske

The center blocks of this quilt were pieced by hand by my grandmother using my mother's clothes from when she was little.  A lot of them look like feed sack fabric.  Grandma passed away in the early '70's before finishing this and my mother saved it until I started quilting seriously about 10 years ago.  She then handed it to me with the request to finish it for her!  I added the blue, red, and pieced scallop borders (trying to find either original feed sack fabric or repro's on eBay).  I finished it all by hand and it took 3 years to quilt it, because I usually only quilt about 3 to 4 hours a week on my day off!

Here is the quilt:

Here is a detail shot:

Comments

Eileen wrote re: "Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske
on Sunday, 22 August 2010, 2:25 PM

What a wonderful multigenerational project! I'm sure your mom is please with it & I hope you are, too.  I could not even tell the fabrics in the scrappy border were not the same as those in the original part your grandmother made - you did a great job matching the fabrics :-)

gini wrote re: "Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske
on Sunday, 22 August 2010, 3:51 PM

lucinda, what  a beautiful job you did on yours and yuor grandmothers quilt       gini

Barbara wrote re: "Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske
on Sunday, 22 August 2010, 4:46 PM

Lucinda,Your grandmother would be so proud,You have done a wonderful job .You are so blessed to be able to finish her project..Barbara

chocake2 wrote re: "Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske
on Sunday, 22 August 2010, 7:04 PM

Cheers and Huzzahs!! I know your grandmother would be tickled to know you finished it up. What a great family legacy! Please say you labled it with all of that great information...

Pat wrote re: "Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske
on Monday, 23 August 2010, 7:34 AM

Wonderful job.  It is truly a labor of love.  Thanks for sharing.

Nana wrote re: "Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske
on Monday, 23 August 2010, 8:10 AM

Lucinda what a fantastic quilt.  Your grandmother is smiling down on you.  Great memorial to your grandmother as well as your mother and yourself.  Beautiful quilting.

Debra wrote re: "Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske
on Monday, 23 August 2010, 11:43 AM

Love it, It's so pretty

Stephanie wrote re: "Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske
on Monday, 23 August 2010, 8:18 PM

Lucinda,

What a treasure! So fun to look back at the fabrics. Just the thought of this being kept alive through the generations and the wonderful job you did in keeping with the fabrics, style and hand quilting is overwhelming. I wish you GM could be here to share this with you as you both have done a wonderful job on this and Bless you for finishing this for your Mother.

Kris wrote re: "Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske
on Monday, 23 August 2010, 8:50 PM

How wonderful Lucinda. Nice work on the quilting.

Shirley wrote re: "Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske
on Wednesday, 25 August 2010, 7:19 AM

Lucinda, You have made a wonderful heirloom. I love the quilting motifs you chose. Did you design them?

Dawn wrote re: "Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske
on Thursday, 2 September 2010, 2:17 PM

So awesome!!!!  That is wonderful!!!  My GM quilted too, but her husband threw out her things before we could get to any of it . . . I would have loved to have even some fabrics of hers . . . So great you had this opportunity!!!!  Congrats on a job very well done!

Linda wrote re: "Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske
on Thursday, 2 September 2010, 8:24 PM

I love the double wedding ring.  I made one for my daughter and they are not easy to make.  I specially like the quilting you did in the center of each ring.  It really sets it off.

Debbie wrote re: "Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske
on Monday, 6 September 2010, 1:31 PM

What a beautiful quilt and memory. I recently gave my daughter a Lone Star quilt that my grandmother had pieced sometime between 1930 and 1935. It needs some repair work and my daughter was willing to take it on. I'm sure my grandma is smiling down from heaven as my daughter repairs her quilt.

Lucinda wrote re: "Grandma's Quilt for Mom" by Lucinda Fenske
on Monday, 6 September 2010, 6:05 PM

chocake2:  Yes, I did label it with all that info and names!

Shirley:  Yes, I designed and made templates for the quilting motifs, got some ideas on the internet and modified them to suit me.