"Reversible Storyquilts" by Sherry Byrd

I would like to share my two reversible storyquilts with the quilters Club of America members..

The first one is titled "HOMEGROWN/HANDMADE/PASSED ON FAMILY QUILT" or just "HOMEGROWN" for short. This reversible story quilt chronicles the history of the Edward "Ned" Titus family. Our ancestor "Ned" was brought to Freestone County, Texas in 1852, by the Simeon and Nancy Lake Family, and members of our family have lived here ever since. I created this tied Britches quilt to commemorate our family history.
It was featured for the first time to the public in the exhibit Quilts of Color: Four generations in an Afro-Texan family at the Texas Folklife Gallery in Austin, Texas in l999. From there, two years later, it appeared in the Inaugural exhibit, "IT AIN'T BRAGGIN' IF IT'S TRUE, at the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum; Spring, 2001. Here 500,00+ visitors got the opportunity to view it. Among those visitors were President George Bush and First Lady Laura Bush. Also Governor Rick Perry and his wife, plus former Texas governors Preston Smith, Dolph Briscoe, and Bill Clements. There was the wife of Bob Bullock, Jan Bullock and a crowd of 500 Texas state government officials and their family members, too. This was indeed a history making event, because before this time the state of Texas did not have a state museum. I was overjoyed that my story quilt was chosen to be a part of the event.

Here is the front of "Homegrown":

And here is the back:

The second reversible story quilt's title is JAZZ WITH A NEEDLE AND THREAD or just "JAZZ". It chronicles the skills of the six generations of quiltmakers in the Titus familys' lineage that reaches back to slavery times. This story quilt was featured in the five year anniversary of the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum,titled...IT( STILL) AIN'T BRAGGIN; 2006.

Here is one side of "Jazz":

And here is the other:

And here are pictures showing the quilts as they were displayed in each exhibition:

Both these reversible story quilts are created from recyclables and are hand tied mostly, a skill my maternal grandmother taught me when I was very young.

More can be learned about my family's quilt making Legacy at www.quiltstoriesbysherryann.blogspot.com. Enjoy!!!

Comments

Patti wrote re: "Reversible Storyquilts" by Sherry Byrd
on Monday, 2 August 2010, 10:29 PM

Sherry, these quilts are so amazing!  I have never seen anything like them before.  So very expressive.  Thanks for sharing them with us.

gini wrote re: "Reversible Storyquilts" by Sherry Byrd
on Tuesday, 3 August 2010, 12:08 AM

sherry, your quilts are so wonderful,  just an explosion of color and energy,  what a legacy    gini

gini wrote re: "Reversible Storyquilts" by Sherry Byrd
on Tuesday, 3 August 2010, 12:08 AM

sherry i couldn't get on your blog.   a screen came up asking a bunch of questions   gini

Kris wrote re: "Reversible Storyquilts" by Sherry Byrd
on Tuesday, 3 August 2010, 1:39 AM

Sherry your quilts are amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. The link to you blog doesn't work but I was able to find it through Google.

Sherry A/. Byrd wrote re: "Reversible Storyquilts" by Sherry Byrd
on Tuesday, 3 August 2010, 5:33 AM

Thanks so much to everyone who have enjoyed my story quilts. I am very proud of my family's legacy and take every opportunity I can to share it with others.

I've tried the link to the website and I see what you mean. It does not work and I really don't understand why. I will investigate the situation....You can access the blog via a Google search under the name Sherry Byrd or Sherry Ann.

So sorry for the inconvenience!!!

Leslie wrote re: "Reversible Storyquilts" by Sherry Byrd
on Tuesday, 3 August 2010, 6:38 AM

Wow very cool.

Nana wrote re: "Reversible Storyquilts" by Sherry Byrd
on Tuesday, 3 August 2010, 10:32 AM

Awesome quilts.  Thanks for sharing.

Gagoo wrote re: "Reversible Storyquilts" by Sherry Byrd
on Wednesday, 4 August 2010, 4:35 PM

Wow, awesome talent and gorgeous quilts. I love quilts that tell a story.

Eileen wrote re: "Reversible Storyquilts" by Sherry Byrd
on Wednesday, 4 August 2010, 9:35 PM

Sherry, your quilts are amazing! What great pieces of art, talent and family history. Thanks for sharing them - and their journey - with us!

Barbara wrote re: "Reversible Storyquilts" by Sherry Byrd
on Saturday, 7 August 2010, 6:54 AM

Beautiful quilts,colorful,expressive, I can see alot of love went into the making of these....Barbara

Sherry A/. Byrd wrote re: "Reversible Storyquilts" by Sherry Byrd
on Saturday, 7 August 2010, 10:05 AM

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I had not visited the site for  a while...so I was not aware that people were enjoying the story quilts so much.... It's so heartwarming to know you like them. And yes a lot of love and labor went into them. "Homegrown" is actually based on  family history researched mostly by my 91 years young,cousin...Wilber T. (Bill) Titus, who actually lived among the ex-slaves. He has spent his twilight years researching and recording as much of the family's history as he possibly can.He's legally blind in one eye and has several other health problems related to old age, but his best asset is a positive mental attitude toward life. His favorite quote is "I'M NOT DEAD UNTIL I'M DEAD!!!!' And believe me ...he means every word of it. He's still publishing the family newsletter monthly and oversees our myfamily.com site ...which he set up. He also organizing annual family reunions for both sides of his family!!!!

His mother was a very skilled quilt maker. I featured her on my blog in July,2010... at www.quiltstoriesbysherryann.blogspot.com. If anyone would like to read more about our family's history. If the URL does not work....just do a google search for quilts by sherry ann byrd , sherry ann or sherry byrd and you should be able to locate the blog. I still haven't figured out why the URL doesn't work when I type it into some sites. ...but of course I've only just learned to type on a computer about 6 months ago...so there's still a lot of things that baffle me about this technology!!!!!

The other reversible storyquilt "JAZZ With A Needle and Thread" was in the making for approximately  twenty+ years. I started collecting the quilt blocks from family members in 1986??...and exhibited it in 2006.

So thanks again and "happy quilting" to everyone out there!!!!

Sherry Ann

Barbara wrote re: "Reversible Storyquilts" by Sherry Byrd
on Saturday, 7 August 2010, 10:38 AM

Sherry Ann, You must be very proud of your family and its history.Mr.Titus sounds like quite a character.I love family members like that,Most of mine are gone so its hard to get alot of history anymore . My grandmother who was much of our source was very tight lipped about what went on in the family.

Thats another story and this one is yours.Again I think your quilts are historic and I hope they last for years to come.   Barbara