"Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney

I have called this quilt "Christmas Geese."  It is a "take-off" on a strippy flying geese quilt in one or the Love of Quilting magazines of 2007 or 2008.   We needed a replacement for the lovely Roman Stripe that our daughter had made several years ago, and so I chose to dip into my stash of Christmas fabrics to make a flying geese quilt.  It is a queen-size bedspread quilt, with a "fat batt" for warmth, and is actually too warm for our Southern California winters, but will do very well for Pennsylvania when we retire in a year or so.

Since I was making a larger quilt than the magazine version, and I never know when to stop cutting, I ended up with a pile of extra flying geese blocks.  So--a Wild Goose Chase medallion is the main feature of the back of the quilt, with a border of flying geese.  We have enjoyed the warmer tone of the quilt back--it works well reversed.

Here is a photo of the border:

This is the back of the same quilt with the Wild Goose Chase Medallion:

And here is a shot of the corner detail on the back of the quilt:

Submitted by Alice Whitney, quilter

Comments

gini wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Thursday, 24 June 2010, 11:22 PM

alice, beautiful   quilt   gini

Kris wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Friday, 25 June 2010, 1:32 AM

Absolutely fantastic Alice. Front and back are gorgeous. Kudos to you for making so many flying geese.

Patti wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Friday, 25 June 2010, 5:59 AM

What a beautiful elegant quilt, front and back.

kim wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Friday, 25 June 2010, 6:59 AM

It's beautiful! How many flying geese did you use and what size are they?

Sherri wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Friday, 25 June 2010, 8:32 AM

WOW what a beautiful quilt,I love love it

Sherri wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Friday, 25 June 2010, 8:32 AM

WOW what a beautiful quilt,I love love it

Judy Kelly wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Friday, 25 June 2010, 10:32 AM

What a beautiful quilt both front and back.

Libby wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Friday, 25 June 2010, 5:19 PM

Great job, absolutely gorgeous! If mine only turned out half that well!

Judy Lee wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Friday, 25 June 2010, 5:54 PM

Love the earth tome side of the quilt just as much as the frosty blue on the front....nice job!

Bonnie wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Friday, 25 June 2010, 6:46 PM

WOW!!  How awesome your quilt is.  You did a beautiful job on it.

Nana wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Friday, 25 June 2010, 10:30 PM

Beautiful quilt and I love that it is reversible.

Annette wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Saturday, 26 June 2010, 7:00 AM

Wow - nice job Alice!  Looks to me like you have two 'tops', not a top and a back.  I like the floral border on the 'blue' side.

Stephanie wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Saturday, 26 June 2010, 10:05 AM

Beautiful Alice! I love all the colors and the addition of applique around the border, and the fact that it is reversible. You did an amazing job. Kudo's!

Char wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Saturday, 26 June 2010, 9:05 PM

Alice,

You quilt is beautiful ! Nice job, I love the backing, so creative and fun. Love the applique on the front too, nice touches.

Sunny wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Saturday, 26 June 2010, 9:26 PM

What does it mean when they say that there are no more tags available. Does this mean that I can't do the block?

Sunny wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Saturday, 26 June 2010, 9:27 PM

LOVE this quilt the colors are gorgeous!!!

Sherri wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Sunday, 27 June 2010, 9:55 PM

I love the bored on the cream side too

Sherri wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Sunday, 27 June 2010, 9:55 PM

I love the bored on the cream side too

Pat wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Sunday, 27 June 2010, 10:46 PM

What an amazing job you did on the quilt.  Both front and back are beautiful, and so is the applique.

jay-marie wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Monday, 28 June 2010, 1:56 AM

I love your beautiful quilt. The colors and pattern are wonderful.

Pat wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Monday, 28 June 2010, 10:34 AM

Fantastic quilt, love the fact that it is also reversible.  Great job.  Thanks for sharing.

Adele wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Monday, 28 June 2010, 1:58 PM

wow its great i just love all the color and the back is amazing thanks so much for sharing it with us.

chocake2 wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Monday, 28 June 2010, 7:58 PM

Beautiful!

BonnieMac wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Monday, 28 June 2010, 9:08 PM

Wow...what a wonderful quilt!  I am so impressed that you made the back of the quilt just as fantastic as the front of the quilt!   Way to go, girl!   Nice job!

Alice wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Friday, 2 July 2010, 2:34 PM

To reply to Kim's question:  there are 462 flying geese in the quilt (264 in front; 64 in the back medallion plus 134 in the back border), and 172 triangle-squares.  I used 36 different Christmas fabrics, and 4 cream-on-cream prints for the "sky" parts of the flying geese blocks.  They finished out at 6 1/2" by 3 1/4".  I used the Fons & Porter's flying geese ruler.

Sorry--I don't know how else to contact you, to put this on your home page.

Thanks for the comment!

Gramma Di wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Tuesday, 6 July 2010, 8:07 AM

Simply beautiful -- I love it.  How fun that it is reversible!!!

Diane Morgan wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Tuesday, 6 July 2010, 11:22 AM

Oh, this is beautiful. I love the border. It was like a surprise when I scrolled down. I love the back as much as the front. Very nice. If it needs a loving home.......I'm here.

Jacquie Richardson wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Friday, 9 July 2010, 1:29 PM

Beautiful!

Alice wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Thursday, 15 July 2010, 12:24 AM

Thank all of you for the nice comments!  Diane, you'll have to fight my husband for this quilt--he feels quite a bit of ownership, especially since he very strongly encouraged me to do the vine-and-flowers border!

And, Gramma Di, we've enjoyed reversing the quilt, the golden tones really add a lot of warmth to the room.  Being able to reverse it is sheer serendipity.

Eileen wrote re: "Christmas Geese" by Alice Whitney
on Monday, 19 July 2010, 9:59 PM

Alice, this is one beautiful quilt. You sure put a lot of time into this one, and a lot of love, I bet. It will keep you warm and cozy in Pennsylvania!