"Under the Sea" by Alice Whitney (not Sandi Irish!)

CORRECTION from QCA Liz S:  Back when I posted this quilt on June 4th I credited this beautiful quilt to the wrong person. The real creator is Alice Whitney, who made this version of the Under the Sea quilt based on a design by Sandi Irish published in Love of Quilting, Sept-Oct., 2008.  I regret the mixup and wanted to be sure to give proper credit to Alice for her wonderful work.

Here is Alice's original note:

Hi!  I  recently (May 19) finished my version of the Under the Sea quilt published in Love of Quilting, Sept/Oct 2008.  It has been a challenge, partly because I do most of my sewing for various holiday boutiques (or craft shows, if you prefer) and had to set it aside for over a year before finishing it.  In May I decided the time had come--and spent most of 8 working days to get it ready to be on our bed as our queen-size summer quilt/bedspread.  We're very happy with the color it brings to our room.  Love the design--had wanted, for years, to make  something using a Snail's Trail type of pattern.  This quilt is the perfect combination of color and design.

Here is a closeup of the border:

Comments

Kathy D wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Friday, 4 June 2010, 11:37 PM

It reminds me of a blooming 9 patch.  Your quilt name fits perfectly.  Lovely!

gini wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Saturday, 5 June 2010, 2:09 AM

sandi, your quilt is beautiful    great name and wonderful choice of colors   gini

Patti wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Saturday, 5 June 2010, 4:48 AM

Like an Irish chain of snail tails.  Love how it radiates out.

Nancy Poorbaugh wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Saturday, 5 June 2010, 7:48 AM

Beautiful!!!

Nana wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Saturday, 5 June 2010, 7:58 AM

Your quilt is beautiful.  I love your fabric choices and have always loved the snail trail block.

Vicki Stearns wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Saturday, 5 June 2010, 12:02 PM

Sandi, what a wonderful use of color and pattern. Great job and congrats on kicking a UFO out of the closet and into the world where it can brighten your day.

lynnb wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Saturday, 5 June 2010, 12:15 PM

Love the colors.

lynnb wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Saturday, 5 June 2010, 12:15 PM

I really love the colors and the block is cute.

Stephanie wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Saturday, 5 June 2010, 12:59 PM

Very pretty Sandi.

Emma wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Saturday, 5 June 2010, 3:23 PM

Such calming colors...soft, cool, floaty, relaxing. Can almost feel the cool breeze off the water!

Diane Morgan wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Saturday, 5 June 2010, 4:01 PM

That's a beautiful quilt! I like the teddy bears, too!

Kris wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Saturday, 5 June 2010, 4:17 PM

Gorgeous quilt Sandi. Congrats on getting it done.

jay-marie wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Saturday, 5 June 2010, 5:43 PM

Beautiful quilt Sandi it reminds me of the sea in Greece.

Marie wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Sunday, 6 June 2010, 11:37 AM

Sandi, beautiful quilt, beautiful colors, beautiful job, love it!!!!

Kathy wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Sunday, 6 June 2010, 5:09 PM

Beautiful quilt, love the pattern and the colors.  Looks just like the ocean.

Char wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Sunday, 6 June 2010, 5:28 PM

Lovely, color choices are wonderful for under the sea!

Pat wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Monday, 7 June 2010, 10:36 AM

Beautiful quilt.  Well worth the wait.

CLMQuilter wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Tuesday, 8 June 2010, 12:55 AM

Beautiful quilt, I love it

Emma.Bell1110 wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Tuesday, 8 June 2010, 10:32 AM

I agree the perfect combination of color and design. I do love all the wonderful blues and greens that you used it really make you feel like you are under the sea.  I found a great website where you can download quilt patterns that are unique and creative patterns like this one. In fact, they have a great selection of all types of quilt patterns, kits and just about everything.  The site is http://www.toadusew.com.

Adele wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Thursday, 10 June 2010, 11:36 AM

wow its great and the colors OMG i just LOVE them

Lola M wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Sunday, 13 June 2010, 1:16 PM

Sandi, I absolutely love your quilt. Beautiful colors.

Shari Jamieson wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Wednesday, 16 June 2010, 8:58 PM

What a wonderful quilt. Just love the colours you chose and so cooling for a hot summer. Hope you get to spend some time at the sea or other local body of water when the days are hot!

Alice wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Saturday, 19 June 2010, 12:07 AM

With all due apologies for not making myself very, very clear when submitting these pictures, the ORIGINAL DESIGN of this quilt, as shown in Love of Quilting, is by  Sandi Irish.  The pictured quilt is my version of her design.  It is larger--queen-bedspread size, and has my choice of colors, which are similar, but not identical, as mine include fewer greens.

While I am delighted that so many of you love it, I would be even more delighted if you knew whose quilt it really is!  The line "Thank you, Sandi Irish," was my thanks to her for the original design and the inspiration it gave me to make my own version.  I am Alice W., of Tustin CA

Alice wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Sandi Irish
on Saturday, 19 June 2010, 12:11 AM

Thank you, Shari Jaimeson, for your good wishes!  We live within 12 miles of the Pacific, but are so busy we rarely get to the beach.  BUT--our grandchildren are coming in a few weeks, and we will do as much beach as we can all stand!  It will be great fun!  Alice W., Tustin CA

Julie wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Alice Whitney (not Sandi Irish!)
on Wednesday, 23 June 2010, 8:53 AM

Sandi

your quilt is absoultely beautiful...

Stephanie wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Alice Whitney (not Sandi Irish!)
on Thursday, 24 June 2010, 3:31 PM

Alice, Sorry you had a mishap on the naming of your quilt. You have done a beautiful job. Great colors and textures and placement of fabrics.

Sunny wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Alice Whitney (not Sandi Irish!)
on Saturday, 26 June 2010, 9:39 PM

What does it means there are no more tags available? Can I not download it?

Sunny wrote re: "Under the Sea" by Alice Whitney (not Sandi Irish!)
on Saturday, 26 June 2010, 9:39 PM

What does it means there are no more tags available? Can I not download it?