Five Quilts by Elizabeth LaZella

There are 5 quilts that I have finished:

The rag quilt is reversible so the rag is on both sides:

The butterfly quilt I designed and quilted myself:

The quilt with the dragon on it has the dragon design on both sides of the quilt and all the blocks are embroidered.

The crayon box quilt I followed a design I found and modified it a bit.

The green quilt is taken from a design I found and I just modified the binding to a rag binding finish instead of a regular binding.

All quilts are completed beginning to end by myself with no outside help or quilting from other sources.  I am a very novice quilter and learn everytime I quilt what I can and cannot do.

Hope you enjoy looking at them.

Elizabeth LaZella

What lies before us and what lies behind us is nothing compared to what lies within us.

Comments

mpspeedy wrote re: Five Quilts by Elizabeth LaZella
on Thursday, 22 April 2010, 7:02 AM

Great work!  I never heard of a raggy binding.  How exactly does that work?  It didn't look like the rest of the quilt was the rag method.

BonnieMac wrote re: Five Quilts by Elizabeth LaZella
on Thursday, 22 April 2010, 7:44 PM

What wonderful quilts...please do not consider yourself a novice anymore!   Nice job!

Pat wrote re: Five Quilts by Elizabeth LaZella
on Friday, 23 April 2010, 2:33 PM

Beautiful job on all.  You have given me hope to complete some of my UFOs.

what is a rag binding?

Thanks,

Pat

Joyce Brenden wrote re: Five Quilts by Elizabeth LaZella
on Sunday, 25 April 2010, 9:58 AM

Elizabeth--

I enjoyed seeing all your great quilts.  You've definitely moved beyond novice.  Nice work.

Patti wrote re: Five Quilts by Elizabeth LaZella
on Tuesday, 27 April 2010, 8:00 AM

I am inspired to do a rag quilt, and the crayon box looks like a wonderful way to use my scraps.

Nice work.

chocake2 wrote re: Five Quilts by Elizabeth LaZella
on Wednesday, 28 April 2010, 8:02 PM

Oh thatnk  you for sharing these! They are wonderful!!

Kimberly Adams Turner wrote re: Five Quilts by Elizabeth LaZella
on Sunday, 2 May 2010, 6:11 PM

I'm always looking for a new way to bind my quilts.  please tell how you did the rag binding.  Beautiful quilts.  how long did they take you?

Gagoo wrote re: Five Quilts by Elizabeth LaZella
on Sunday, 2 May 2010, 8:09 PM

Beautiful work. Love the quilting on the butterfly quilt

Jutta wrote re: Five Quilts by Elizabeth LaZella
on Thursday, 6 May 2010, 6:25 PM

Elizabeth, what an accomplishment. I like the rustic look of the rag quilts. Nice job.

Eileen wrote re: Five Quilts by Elizabeth LaZella
on Thursday, 13 May 2010, 8:05 AM

What a great gallery here! Your quilts are lovely & it sounds like you enjoy the process as much as the result - keep on learning & enjoying it!

Mamaquilter wrote re: Five Quilts by Elizabeth LaZella
on Thursday, 20 May 2010, 8:57 PM

This would be a great time to use my Accu Cutter.  I have the rag quilt die and haven't been inspired to use it.  Thanks for sharing all your great project.  Keep on turning out your originals.

Jackye wrote re: Five Quilts by Elizabeth LaZella
on Thursday, 17 June 2010, 3:36 PM

Hello All new here and am loving this great place! I wanted to share how you rag the binding of a quilt which really there is no binding, you just make your batting about 1/2 shorter all the way around the quilt and then sew a 1/2 inch seam very small stitches around the quilt and then clip the edges anywhere from a 1/4 to 3/4 inch apart all the way around the quilt and of course be careful not to clip the into the seam. simple as 123.