"Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster

This is a quilt I made as a Christmas gift for my daughter Andrea. The fabrics are from the Holly Taylor collection titled "Cozy Cabin Flannel"  I named this quilt Bears in Alaska since her trip to Alaska was the inspiration . I used a stack and whack pattern for the crazy quilting squares.  I appliqued brown bears on the border.  I had a lot of fun constructing and creating this quilt and the stack and whack method is very addicting!

Patti Webste
Angola, Indiana

Comments

Nana wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Friday, 16 April 2010, 11:13 PM

Patti your quilt looks so cuddly.  Love the bears.

gini wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Friday, 16 April 2010, 11:39 PM

patti,  i love your quilt.  the little appliqued bears are perfect on the border.     gini

Kris wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Saturday, 17 April 2010, 1:10 AM

Patti, I love this quilt. Very well done. The bear appliqu├ęs are a nice touch. You two sure look alike.

Gale wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Saturday, 17 April 2010, 2:38 AM

That is a cool quilt. I want to try that stack and whack method.

Kathy D wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Saturday, 17 April 2010, 9:49 AM

Lovely quilt Patti and a great memory for your daughter of a vacation.  Love it!

jnboehln@gtec.com wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Saturday, 17 April 2010, 10:43 AM

The quilt is great; I love the bears.  We were in Alaska in 1999 and I want to go back so bad; hopefully soon.  I have used the stack 'n whack method and it is so interesting.  You don't know how your blocks will turn out.  You did a wonderful job!

Nancy

Bonnie wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Saturday, 17 April 2010, 11:26 AM

Awesome quilt and what a wonderful keepsake for your daughter.

Jane wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Saturday, 17 April 2010, 3:53 PM

This is an awesome quilt.  Your fabric choice was perfect for the stack and whack pattern.  It turned out beautiful.  What a lucky girl to receive this quilt, from her mom, to keep those Alaskan memories alive.

joyce wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Saturday, 17 April 2010, 8:07 PM

Loved the quilt. I have not tried the stack and whack method. I guess that I need to learn. Great Job!

MILLIEQ wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Saturday, 17 April 2010, 9:10 PM

That 'stack & whack' technique is great-especially the way you did it and how it turned out.  I haven't tried it yet, but it does look interesting.  Your daughter looks tickled with it; why wouldn't she be?  It's "Bear-y cute!"  (Sorry--somebody had to say it!)

MILLIEQ wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Saturday, 17 April 2010, 9:10 PM

Joanne wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Sunday, 18 April 2010, 11:38 AM

I love your quilt...I almost thought it was a crazy quilt.  Nice colours!

mpspeedy wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Sunday, 18 April 2010, 12:23 PM

That turned out lovely.  It is a great way to remember a great vacation.  Far better than some of the cheapy, probably made in China, souvenior junk they sell in toursit traps.  Hope it inspires your daughter to become a quilter.

chocake2 wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Sunday, 18 April 2010, 4:13 PM

Oh that's just YuMMy. I wanna snuggle up in it!

Bev wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Monday, 19 April 2010, 8:30 PM

definately a quilt to snuggle in.

Patricia wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Tuesday, 20 April 2010, 7:43 AM

This quilt looks so warm and comforting. Love the colors and the way the blocks turned out. The bears were a great personal touch.

Mary Ann wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Wednesday, 21 April 2010, 12:31 PM

It always amazes me how wonderful a simple pattern can be.  Very beautiful.  Love your color choices.

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Sunday, 25 April 2010, 10:11 AM

Patti--

You did a great job on the "Bears in Alaska" quilt.  The colors give it such a cozy feel and I'm certain your daughter is delighted with it.

Patti wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Tuesday, 27 April 2010, 7:49 AM

I have to learn this pattern.  It's very nice.

Gagoo wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Sunday, 2 May 2010, 8:14 PM

Beautiful quilt, love the bears and the colors. Great job

Eileen wrote re: "Bears in Alaska" by Patti Webster
on Thursday, 13 May 2010, 7:58 AM

Great quilt, Patti! It looks lovely and warm/snuggly at the same time!