"Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson

Here is a picture of a dust cover I made for our computer printer.

I found the printed appliqué panel and coordinating charm pack on sale at Keepsake Quilting either at the end of last year or the beginning of this year (I don't remember for sure). I had originally spent hours designing and planning a different cover but when it came down to it I decided to go simple. I cut the charm squares into quarters and made four patch blocks and then cut the appliqué prints apart from the panel and the rest is obvious from the photo. What I had designed, had a gazillion pieces and I could foresee a UFO in my future! :-}  I had loads of fun free motion quilting it too. It was the first time I used the Bernina Stitch Regulator on the machine Dad bought for me! It took some practice to get a feel for it but in the end I loved how it worked.

Comments

Kathy D wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Sunday, 4 April 2010, 9:19 AM

What a neat project.  You turned a boring piece of technology into something pretty and interesting.  Love the quilting - yes it looks like you had fun!

Lilian wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Sunday, 4 April 2010, 10:27 AM

Laura:

If you are a member of Quilt University, you could add that to their "Not Just for Beds" annual on-line visual show.  That's a really neat cover.  I've been thinking about something like that for my sewing machine, but so far have settled on a quilt panel to throw over it. :(   [My machine has a number of attachments that the regular cover doesn't conceal.]   Yours is visually pretty however you did it.

Nana wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Monday, 5 April 2010, 8:44 AM

Very pretty.  Makes a beautiful cover.

Eileen wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Monday, 5 April 2010, 2:34 PM

This looks great, Laura :-)  It's so much nicer on the eyes than what's underneath! I like the layout & fabrics.

Quiltedwings wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Monday, 5 April 2010, 4:55 PM

Lillian,

I’ve never heard of Quilt University, I’ll have to look into it. Thanks for telling me about it, It sounds interesting… It took me over a year to get around to making this cover. I dragged my heals… don’t know why! The hardest part for me was the decision making process. Once I opted for the simple approach I was able to finish it in no time! I want to make a cover for my sewing machine too, and I’m feeling inspiration in Nancy Halvorsen’s book "Sew Necessary "… really cute projects for the sewer and his/her sewing room. I look at her sewing basket and I picture it flipped over and bigger to fit my machine. Anyway that’s what I have stewing in my brain right now, we’ll see what comes out… hopefully sooner rather than later!

Gagoo wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Monday, 5 April 2010, 6:28 PM

how cute, I need a cover for mine. did u design it yourself or did you buy it? Very cute

Lilian wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Monday, 5 April 2010, 7:01 PM

Just a follow-up, Laura.  I discovered Quilt University when my sister introduced me to quilting in 2004.  So far, I've taken at least 20+ of their classes from many 'renowned' professional quilters.  It is so much better than lugging around a sewing machine to local quilt classes.  Courses range from $25-$55, for a 4-6-week class.  The instructors have been excellent, and you can attend class in your pajamas :):) and do lessons at your own speed.  The feedback from instructors is fast and caring; and you can post your completed class projects in the QU "Finishing School" as well as post other projects in their annual shows.  The founder, Carol Miller, also has a free class that you can try to see if you want to continue with other classes.    Obviously, I am a believer in this marvelous resource for newbies and experienced quilters.  One warning:  Taking classes becomes addictive; you learn so much.  I'm finishing up classes in EQ6, another great quilt designing resource.  It is tremendous to take a class and share project-related concerns from quilters from all around the world.  Check it out to see what classes are upcoming.    Lilian

Katherine "Sue" McGarry wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Tuesday, 6 April 2010, 9:50 AM

great idea

Rose Marie wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Tuesday, 6 April 2010, 10:08 AM

Love your cover. Hope to learn all that someday.

Wendy wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Thursday, 8 April 2010, 8:04 PM

This is a really cool cover, Is there anyway to get the pattern for it. Love it  Wendy

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Saturday, 10 April 2010, 5:01 PM

Laura--

What a clever idea.  You've inspired me to take a new look at some of the small quilts I've been working on lately and see if they could be adapted to cover printers, etc.

Gail wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Saturday, 10 April 2010, 11:25 PM

How cute,  my computer is in my sewing room so that would be perfect for my printer.

Pat wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Thursday, 15 April 2010, 1:53 AM

How cute is that!!!   The applique blocks almost look like they've been embroidered.  Great job!!

Emma.Bell1110 wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Friday, 16 April 2010, 3:50 PM

That is a cool idea. I have not done any appliqué work yet as I am just getting started. I have only done one very bad nine patch quilt but you gotta start somewhere, I guess. I have spent time on the internet looking for good resources and found a great website where you can download quilt patterns.  These ladies have unique and creative downloadable quilt patterns.  In fact, they have a great selection of all types of quilt patterns, kits and just about everything.  The site is http://www.toadusew.com.

KATHLEENK-3 wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Saturday, 17 April 2010, 12:46 PM

So pleased to see your cover.....I made a cover for one of my machines out of an old riped antique quilt and I love seeing it everyday on my machine.  Your printer cover has inspired me to take some of my sample quilt blocks and use some of my stash and make covers for my printer, computer and my other machines....great job!!!! thanks Kathy

Jean wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Friday, 30 April 2010, 7:22 PM

What a cute idea!  You must be a gal with just too much imagination or time on your hands to think of a quilt for your printer LOL

Carla wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Friday, 14 May 2010, 11:18 PM

I love this!

Sherri wrote re: "Quilted Printer Dustcover " by Laura Sorenson
on Monday, 31 May 2010, 2:26 PM

I am making one for my printer, it gets so dusty. Thank you