"Paper Pieced Pillows" by Laura Sorenson

Well, I finally got around to taking pix of the pillows I made to brighten up our very masculine furniture in the living room. This was a personal challenge that I set for myself. The hardest part was that I couldn't use the color blue. I love blue and it felt odd to not have it as an option.

I had never paper pieced anything before so I bought a couple of books by Carol Doak and taught myself how...errr, maybe it would be more accurate to say that Carol Doak taught me how! Her instructions were very clear and easy to understand so it was a breeze. I used a floral focus fabric that I also used to make lampshades. I purchased a bright yellow fabric for the back and the rest is all from my stash. I wasn't so sure at first if I was digging all the paper removal but once I got it all torn off I found that the final result was well worth the effort! I made designs I never would have attempted with any other method and the accuracy of the piecing was incredible! I did however, make a few boo boo's with the fabric selection and placement but I chalk it up to lessons learned.

Comments

Mary Ann wrote re: "Paper Pieced Pillows" by Laura Sorenson
on Wednesday, 31 March 2010, 7:20 PM

I really like the patterns and the colors.  I like scrap quilts, but sometimes they take more time arranging.  Great job!  Thanks.

Kathy D wrote re: "Paper Pieced Pillows" by Laura Sorenson
on Wednesday, 31 March 2010, 8:02 PM

Laura,

I have to agree - Caro Doak's books on paper piecing are wonderful.  Did use use the add a quarter ruler?  Great job on the pillows.  The colours are lovely and certainly work to soften a masculine sofa.  Great job!

Nana wrote re: "Paper Pieced Pillows" by Laura Sorenson
on Wednesday, 31 March 2010, 8:09 PM

Your pillows are beautiful.  I agree that the paper piecing gives such great accuracy but picking all the paper off can be a real pain..LOL>

Patti wrote re: "Paper Pieced Pillows" by Laura Sorenson
on Wednesday, 31 March 2010, 10:59 PM

great pillows.  I like blue too, but these are so pretty, I don't miss the blue!

Joni wrote re: "Paper Pieced Pillows" by Laura Sorenson
on Thursday, 1 April 2010, 7:49 AM

Beautful pillows, I'm hoping to making some whan I get a couch later this year, something neutral and stain resistant.  You have given me encouragement after seeing those pillows.  Thanks for posting the pics.

Joni wrote re: "Paper Pieced Pillows" by Laura Sorenson
on Thursday, 1 April 2010, 8:29 AM

After seeing your pillows, I googled Carol Doak.  She has a lot of free patterns online.  That's great for me as I have more quilting books than I can ever need.  Go thru them over and over again.

Janice wrote re: "Paper Pieced Pillows" by Laura Sorenson
on Thursday, 1 April 2010, 12:34 PM

I think they are very pretty !

Janice

Jutta wrote re: "Paper Pieced Pillows" by Laura Sorenson
on Thursday, 1 April 2010, 11:50 PM

Very nice pillows. Your color selection is very cheerful.

quiltedgrama27@yahoo.com wrote re: "Paper Pieced Pillows" by Laura Sorenson
on Friday, 2 April 2010, 9:02 AM

I just rejoined this group and I was brought to your pillows.  They are wondeful...........you did a really nice job.  I rediscovered Carol Doaks on a yahoo group and joined her group.  Her patterns are great and they TURN out. Thanks for sharing.

Kitty wrote re: "Paper Pieced Pillows" by Laura Sorenson
on Friday, 2 April 2010, 3:50 PM

I just love your colours. Makes me want to try the paperpiecing again as it looks beautiful!

Eileen wrote re: "Paper Pieced Pillows" by Laura Sorenson
on Monday, 5 April 2010, 5:21 PM

Laura, I sure can't spot any mistakes in fabric placement - these are lovely! Sounds like you're glad you stuck with it - the results were sure worth it :-)

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Paper Pieced Pillows" by Laura Sorenson
on Saturday, 10 April 2010, 5:15 PM

Laura--

Your pillows are sure to add a touch of whimsy to your living room decor.  Great job.

mpspeedy wrote re: "Paper Pieced Pillows" by Laura Sorenson
on Sunday, 18 April 2010, 1:00 PM

Laura,  A great way to decorate without having to go shopping anywhere but in your stash.  We had Carol Doke as a speaker at one of my guilds.  She is a very nice lady.  I have several of her paper piecing books.  It is one of the only ways to make perfect points.  It appears that you mastered the techinque far better than I ever will.  Your pillows turned out perfect.  I hope your family appreciates your dressing up those brown furniture pieces.