"First Quilt Projects" by Anna

My granddaughter received a sewing machine from her Aunt Kari for Christmas 2009 so I helped Anna with her first projects--a placemat and a tooth fairy pillow.  (We only had a few hours one day, thus the small projects.)  I made a double bed size quilt for Anna when she graduated to her "big girl bed" from a crib several years ago.  At that time she wanted to learn how to make a quilt so I told her I would show her how to make a quilt when she was ten years old.  Well, Anna just turned eight on March 7 so I am guessing that she will be making a quilt before she is ten.   She was proud of her projects, using her placemat daily  and got to use her tooth fairy pillow for the first time in February.

Comments

gini wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Wednesday, 24 March 2010, 9:26 PM

anna is beautiful, tell her that her quilt and tooth fairy pillow are outstanding    and very pretty   gini

Dianne McILroy wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Wednesday, 24 March 2010, 10:34 PM

very good

Shelia wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Wednesday, 24 March 2010, 11:07 PM

Anna

Great job on your quilt projects!

jay-marie wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Thursday, 25 March 2010, 5:56 AM

Anna

What beautiful work and colors on your placemat and tooth fairy pillow. You are a very clever girl to be able to make these. I hope that you will make more things for us to see here as we really enjoy seeing your work.

CJ Hines wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Thursday, 25 March 2010, 9:39 AM

She's adorable and her quilt projects are great. Glad to see another generation is taking up quilting!

Nana wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Thursday, 25 March 2010, 10:22 AM

Anna is precious and her placemat and pillow are so cute.  Glad to see her enjoying learning to quilt.

Pat wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Thursday, 25 March 2010, 2:22 PM

What a lucky grandmother to have a beautiful granddaughter and one who is learning to quilt.  Thanks for sharing.

Patti wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Friday, 26 March 2010, 6:52 AM

How precious.  And what a luck grand daughter to have you to teach her.

Gramma Di wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Friday, 26 March 2010, 9:15 AM

THANK YOU to all for your kind words.  Yes, I am very lucky to have a granddaughter who wants to learn to sew/quilt.  My grandmother taught me to sew many years ago when I was in 4-H in Iowa so I am glad to have the opportunity to teach grandchildren, too.  I live in the greater Milwaukee Wisconsin area now and Anna lives in Bloomington, IL so we will probably do our sewing projects in the summer (and small projects at Christmas time).  I have four grandsons as well and I know a couple of them want to learn to sew also so I will keep busy teaching for several years.   Right now I am working on the December Diet quilt so hope to have that to post some time during 2010!!!!

Jean wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Friday, 26 March 2010, 12:04 PM

Anna   Your quilted placemat and tooth fairy pillow are really cute (just like you) and you did a nice job.  Bet you had fun with your Gramma Di and learning your first quilting projects.  I'm sure there will be many more to come as you grow up to become a Master Quilter.

Gramma Di  It is great that we can pass of love of quilting on to our next generation and keep the passion going.  I too have been teaching my GD to quilt.

Quiltedwings wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Saturday, 27 March 2010, 5:57 PM

Anna,

Welcome to the wonderful, colorful word of quilting! I love your projects and lucky you that your aunt bought you a sewing machine and your Gramma is there to pass on all her skills and wisdom! You did beautiful work and I would love to see your next project. :-)

Gramma Di,

Thanks for sharing the darling picture of your darling granddaughter. Her happiness and sense of accomplishment are shining in her face!

Marie wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Saturday, 27 March 2010, 8:42 PM

Anna, great job on the placemat and tooth fairy pillow!  They are as beautiful as you are.  Enjoy your sewing machine and I hope to see more of your future projects.  God Bless!

Kathy D wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Monday, 29 March 2010, 10:41 AM

What a great bonding process.  You are both so lucky to have each other and to be able to nurture an upcoming quilter.  The smile on Anna's face says it all.  Way to go!

Janie wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Thursday, 1 April 2010, 2:07 PM

Anna,

Your quilt is very pretty.....I really like the colors. Nice job!

lea ritchot wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Thursday, 1 April 2010, 6:53 PM

Late in sharing my opinion, takes awhile for me to master and absorb all the info on this site..I also belong to Elenor Burns chat committee...

Anna, quilting will lead you places one day! Keep it up! I started sewing late in years. My mother passed away, on her last days she kept saying you will learn to quilt.."You will see" At 20yrs. boys and dating was my future..

Both grandmothers on each side of family, and mother quilted, sewed...

Well, one day, I feel in love with fabric beautiful hawaiin flower rayon fabric. Sewed myself a wardrobe full of beautiful dresses to wear..Since that day I haven't looked back..Sewing gave me employment, hobby business, tiny wage to help make ends meet..Not to mention the self-esteem that boosted my ego..Many young girls were jealous of my skill..Cause I was in fashion everyday, and they paid high price for their fashion..

You will enjoy your sewing machine, and become bound to your craft..A good thing!

Gagoo wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Saturday, 3 April 2010, 5:07 PM

What a little cutie, she did a wonderful job

Sharon wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Saturday, 3 April 2010, 6:27 PM

Anna, what a nice place mat and pillow! Quilters are special people!

Frankie wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Sunday, 25 April 2010, 4:09 PM

What a great experience Anna and your grandma have had!  I hope to  enjoy the same delight one day with my grandaughter, she is six at the present time.  Maybe in a year or two.   Keep on quilting and someday we will see you you sharing your quilts in magazines.

Sherri wrote re: "First Quilt Projects" by Anna
on Monday, 31 May 2010, 2:31 PM

Oh how cute,what a nice job. Love the colors