"Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse

[Editor's Note: Somehow I missed Kathy's description of her quilt when it posted earlier this week, so I am posting it again so you have her story. Enjoy!.]

I am a new member to QCA and would like to share this quilt that I finished in June 2009.  The quilt is called Blowing in The Wind.  It was a 21st birthday gift for the 2nd daughter of my best friend (she has 4 girls and I am now working on the 3rd daughter's quilt).  She saw something similar in a book and said she wanted pinks and purples and blank spaces to showcase my quilting.  She first saw the quilt hanging at the Arts and Crafts exhibit at the Calgary Stampede this past July.  I won a 1st ribbon in the Longarm category and a 3rd place in the Quilting category.

So many half square triangles:-)  I hope you enjoy viewing it.  Thanks.

Kathy Dranse

Comments

Emma wrote re: "Pinwheels & Feathers" by Kathy Dranse
on Wednesday, 17 March 2010, 9:33 PM

WOW! That's some awesome quilting, beautiful, exquisite!

Patti wrote re: "Pinwheels & Feathers" by Kathy Dranse
on Wednesday, 17 March 2010, 10:45 PM

This is so very, very beautiful.

gini wrote re: "Pinwheels & Feathers" by Kathy Dranse
on Wednesday, 17 March 2010, 11:46 PM

what an accomplishment.     beautiful     gini

Kris wrote re: "Pinwheels & Feathers" by Kathy Dranse
on Thursday, 18 March 2010, 12:41 AM

Brilliant! Beautiful quilt Kathy.

Faye wrote re: "Pinwheels & Feathers" by Kathy Dranse
on Thursday, 18 March 2010, 5:52 PM

very, very, very nice.  No, more than nice, gorgeous

jay-marie wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Friday, 19 March 2010, 7:10 AM

Beautiful quilt Kathy and congratulations on winning first prize.

Jean wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Friday, 19 March 2010, 12:29 PM

WOW, beautiful quilt and awesome quilting.  Hope my LAQ looks like that someday, just a newbie.  Oh, and welcome to the club Kathy!!

Linda wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Friday, 19 March 2010, 3:10 PM

Just beautiful!!!  Wow!

jelaintredway wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Friday, 19 March 2010, 3:43 PM

Simply beautiful quilt and the quilting on it too.........you did a wonderful job.

Linny t wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Friday, 19 March 2010, 4:52 PM

Your work is exquisite!  What a beautiful quilt!

linny t

Judy Johnson wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Friday, 19 March 2010, 5:32 PM

Kathy, your quilt is marvelous. The piecing is perfect and the quilting is just fabulous!

Jutta wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Friday, 19 March 2010, 7:27 PM

That is a very beautiful quilt. Outstanding job you did. Congratulations on your accomplishments.

Jutta

Nana wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Saturday, 20 March 2010, 12:41 AM

Absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful fabrics and workmanship.

Stephanie wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Saturday, 20 March 2010, 6:45 AM

Kathy, Congrat's on winning 2 ribbons on this quilt. You deserved them. It's just beautiful, and what a wonderful gift.

Pat wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Saturday, 20 March 2010, 1:42 PM

This is just absolutely beautiful!!   What a luck girl to be getting this quilt.  Congrats on you winning 1st and 3rd place.  You did an awesome job quilting this!!

Wynette wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Saturday, 20 March 2010, 2:28 PM

Your work brings such happiness, not only to the young lady who will receive it, but to us "long in the tooth" quilters who rejoice in seeing the abilities of the 21 Century quilters.  Your work deserved the formal recognition - but even more it shouts to the average person who will stand in awe!

Gagoo wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Saturday, 20 March 2010, 3:27 PM

Wow! Great quilting, it must have taken forever, And you are the Master of the dreaded HST's

Kathy D wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Saturday, 20 March 2010, 10:36 PM

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments on my quilt.  I have enjoyed reading each and every one of them.

Gagoo - I make my HST by putting 2 squares of fabric together and sewing on each side of the diagonal line and then cutting the square in half.  I always make them bigger so that I can trim them to the right size.  For some reason they always come out wonky, but this way I can cover my mistakes.  I don't much care for putting 2 triangles together and sewing on that bias edge - too much margin for error.

mpspeedy wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Sunday, 21 March 2010, 11:03 AM

Kathy,  It is beautiful.  Not only your exquisite quilting but the piecing.  I would only attempt to piece something like that if the pieces were at least 8 inches.  I love the background fabric.  Is that mottled?

Mary Ann wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Sunday, 21 March 2010, 6:16 PM

WOW... Very beautiful.  You have done a fantastic job.   And I don't like pinwheels.  Never say a pinwheel quilt like this one.   Thanks for sharing.  Since I really love patchwork, it is a challenge for me to leave 'spaces' for detail quilting.

Pat wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Tuesday, 23 March 2010, 9:47 AM

Beautiful quilt, what a fantastic job.  thanks for sharing.

chocake2 wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Monday, 29 March 2010, 4:54 PM

WOW!! That's...breathtaking. Beautifully done!

Kath wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Saturday, 10 April 2010, 7:25 PM

WOW is right...that really is a great looking quilt... !!!

JENNIE wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Thursday, 22 April 2010, 11:12 AM

Absolutely breathtaking!  I can only aspire to that kind of quality quilting!

lac82452 wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Friday, 2 July 2010, 3:43 PM

Absolutely beautiful!  Wonderful quilting!

4dreamsr wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Monday, 20 September 2010, 8:05 PM

Hope this young lady realizes she now owns an incredible family heirloom.  ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL is all I can say for lack of words.

Jan Turner wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Thursday, 14 October 2010, 11:30 PM

Karen McTavish would be very proud of you.  WELL DONE!

Leslie wrote re: "Blowing In The Wind" by Kathy Dranse
on Friday, 15 October 2010, 6:40 AM

This is a truly beautiful Quilt. The quilting is gorgeous.