"Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox

Hi, Deanna Cox here, These are two special quilts. Both are "Grandmother's Flower Garden". The one on the wall was made by my Grandma McMillan. It is over 50 years old, the one on my bed was made by my Mama (Ermolene Davis). it is about 12 years old or older.

Comments

Nana wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Tuesday, 2 March 2010, 9:53 PM

Deannna your quilts are so pretty.  Grandmother's Flower Garden has always been a favorite pattern of mine.  I doubt that I will ever make one myself but I love the quilts.  And it is so special to have one made by your grandmother and one made by your mother.  I know that you cherish them.

Priscilla wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Tuesday, 2 March 2010, 10:45 PM

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous. It's beautiful.

Kris wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Tuesday, 2 March 2010, 11:48 PM

Beautiful quilts Deanna. What wonderful treasures.

gini wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Tuesday, 2 March 2010, 11:57 PM

deanna, thanks for sharing your quilts,  they are beautiful    gini

h202blonde wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Wednesday, 3 March 2010, 7:46 AM

hi deanna! gorgeous quilts there. my grandmother made mine when i arrived on the planet (ages ago. let's just say we're way past antique!). mine resides on my couch.  i remember her making subsequent quilts, stitching teeny tiny stitches all by hand. thank you for taking me down memory lane!  blondie

CJ Hines wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Wednesday, 3 March 2010, 8:48 AM

The one on the wall with the red is spectacular! I've never seen it done in those colors and I love it.

Thea wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Wednesday, 3 March 2010, 4:11 PM

Deanna, thank you for sharing... so much time and work - beautiful!

god bless,

thea

Gagoo wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Wednesday, 3 March 2010, 4:13 PM

Those are my all time favorite quilts, I have never made one myself, but, maybe, someday...You are a very lucky woman to own those two, and made by loved ones makes it extra special. They are beautiful

ruthanne@wi.rr.com wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Wednesday, 3 March 2010, 4:35 PM

I love Grandmother's Flower Garden. Yours are lovely! I am just starting one. Don't know if  it will get to be very big.

Linda wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Wednesday, 3 March 2010, 5:34 PM

Your quilts are beautiful.  I am currently English paper piecing alot of hexegons and hope to one day have enough done to make a quilt.   How long did it take you to make just one of your quilts?

Marge (AKA Dimples) wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Wednesday, 3 March 2010, 6:11 PM

Your quilts are beautiful.  How special that you have not only one from your mother but your grandmother too!

Linny t wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Thursday, 4 March 2010, 11:36 AM

Deanna, these quilts are charming.  How lucky you are to have 2 generations of quilts, especially of the same type.  I bet you cherish them.

I love the pillows, too.  That Cathedral Window one, especially.  Did you make it?

linny t

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Thursday, 4 March 2010, 8:02 PM

Deanna--

Thanks for sharing your beautiful family treasures.  Are you planning to make a third one to add to the set?

Bonnie wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Friday, 5 March 2010, 10:42 AM

Deanna - Thank you for sharing your quilts with us.  They are beautiful.

Linny wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Saturday, 13 March 2010, 8:13 AM

Both your quilts are stunning. G'mothers Flower Garden has turned out to be my favorite quilt-maybe it's because the quilter puts so much of themselves in it...

lorenaegrant wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Monday, 15 March 2010, 6:13 AM

hi deanna, your quilts are beautiful   they are both made with love

it is so nice that you have one from  grandmother and your mother

i have only started quilting  a year ago  and this is the first time i

have seen this pattern

are you going to make one also?

blessings

lorena

Cat Lady wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Monday, 15 March 2010, 8:30 AM

Both of the GFG quilts are beautiful.  Are you able to recognize any of the fabrics from clothing?  It is a true privilege to have the quilts made by your immediate family members.  Treasure them, as I am sure you do.

I have been working on an EPP GFG for about four years now.  Of course, I only work on it sporadically.  Someday I hope to finish.

Amy S wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Monday, 12 April 2010, 5:32 PM

Oh they are gorgeous. I am presently making one for myself. I need 75 blocks have 31 completed. I was inspired by this "hand project" when a co-worker brought in some very old quilts that her grandmother had made, one of which was a flower garden. I fell in love with it, and decided to try making one for myself. I've been working on it for about a year now, and expect it will take several to finish this project.

julieclasvegas wrote re: "Grandmother's Flower Gardens" from Deanna Cox
on Tuesday, 20 July 2010, 11:12 AM

I have completed the top to my queen size Grandma's Garden quilt.  I work full time and do not work on it everyday.  I have 18 months work on it so far.   I am now half way through the hand quilting and it is just gorgeous.  Many people do not know that this quilt pattern is entirely hand made.  Cut the fabric (1-3/4" diag.), cut the paper diagonals, hand baste to paper, hand stitch pieces together, etc.  There is no way you can use a sewing machine to piece the top.  This is the one and only I will ever make.  I am getting excited as it is almost completed.  Will always be a favorite of mine.