"Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily

This is my 7-year-old grandaughter's (Emily) first quilt.  She stayed a week with me last summer and wanted to make a quilt with me.  I had her practice straight sewing on the sewing machine first and then I got out my tub of scraps.  I told her she could not look into the tub as she reached for a piece of fabric.  The result was a Crazy Quilt.  We added the batting and backing and then I showed her how to tie it.  She was so proud of it.  Already she is asking to make another quilt this coming summer.  I plan on taking her to the quilt shop to pick out a few pieces of fabric, help her to rotary cut and sew an actual pattern.  So much fun to have someone else in the family wanting to make quilts.  She does not live far from me and "my quilting room" will handle two sewing machines at one time so we can eventually sew and quilt together.

Linda Kavanaugh

Comments

jay-marie wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Thursday, 18 February 2010, 9:23 AM

Linda

What a wonderful quilt and such beautiful colors. It is wonderful that she is learning to quilt with Grandma and will be a future quilter. She is a beautiful little girl Linda. I hope you both have fun in your LQS choosing fabrics.

gini wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Thursday, 18 February 2010, 11:22 AM

linda, what a beautiful granddaughter you have, and emily has a pretty special grandmother.   tell emily i love her quilt and great job.   gini

Nana wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Thursday, 18 February 2010, 11:32 AM

Linda it is fantastic that your granddaughter is interested in quilting.  Her crazy quilt is very nice and she looks so proud.   Great job.

Kris wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Friday, 19 February 2010, 5:26 PM

Emily and her quilt are both so very cute. Your story makes me think of sewing with my grandmother.

Jutta wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Saturday, 20 February 2010, 10:13 AM

Linda, that's wonderful to teach your granddaughter on how to quilt. It shows that she is very proud of her accomplishments. Can't wait to see her second one this coming summer.

Bonnie wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Saturday, 20 February 2010, 11:23 PM

How wonderful to see a new quilter among us.  And what a beautiful job she did.  I have 2 granddaughters sewing/quilting with me now and I feel so blessed for the time we spend and the memories we make.  Keep up the good work Emily!!

Jeri Matthews wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Friday, 26 February 2010, 7:47 AM

Great job Emily........

Gagoo wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Saturday, 27 February 2010, 5:16 PM

Nice to have a new quilter in the midst. She did a great job and hopefully will continue with the fun of quilting

Kathy wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Monday, 1 March 2010, 7:17 AM

What a start!   Hope she makes many more in her future.  Nice gift you are passing on.  Let Emily know I love her work.

bjpj@sharontelephone.com wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Saturday, 20 March 2010, 5:06 PM

Emily did a super job on her crazy quilt-I never found those easy to do-love all the color

lea ritchot wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Thursday, 8 April 2010, 3:14 PM

Way to go..young lady..It turned out very nice..

Wish I would have had your will talent at 7yrs..

Will you become our next shopping diva?

JSBrasher wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Thursday, 15 April 2010, 2:25 PM

I love the quilt!!! I think it is wonderful that you have started her on quilting so early. I am 25 and am working on my first quilt.

betsy.penzone wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Saturday, 17 April 2010, 12:51 PM

Emily,  I'm just crazy about your quilt.  What a beautiful job you did! Have fun quilting with grandma

Sherri wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Monday, 31 May 2010, 2:34 PM

Excellent job how nice,great job Love the colors

sherry ann wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Sunday, 29 August 2010, 6:11 PM

beautiful quilt good job

Stephanie wrote re: "Crazy Quilt" by Granddaughter Emily
on Sunday, 29 August 2010, 6:24 PM

Emily is a natural born quilter. (with grandma's help of course) She did a beautiful job.