"Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter

I taught my granddaughter to quilt during her visit this summer and started her off sewing stash strips together.  Should have named it "No Yellow in My Quilt" as she refused to use the color yellow!  She did all the piecing herself and then I machine quilted it for her and she did the binding.  I think she did really great for her first quilt!!  It's beautiful and so is she.

Comments

Joanne wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Monday, 18 January 2010, 2:31 PM

Congratulations Alyssa, ou should be very proud.  I really like your colour selection and you border fabric.

Patti wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Monday, 18 January 2010, 4:00 PM

She did do an excellent job for a first quilt.  And she is very beautiful as well.  Lucky girl to have a grandmother to teach her.

Nana wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Monday, 18 January 2010, 4:11 PM

Alyssa did an excellent job on her first quilt.  Hopefully there will be many more in her future.  Very beautiful young lady.

gini wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Monday, 18 January 2010, 5:33 PM

alyssa, what a beautiful quilt,    you already have a great color sense.  nice job, i hope we will be seeing more of your quilts.   gini

gini wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Monday, 18 January 2010, 5:34 PM

jean, you have a beautiful granddaughter.   gini

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Monday, 18 January 2010, 5:42 PM

Excellent job!  Machine quilting is the next step!!!

Pat wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Monday, 18 January 2010, 11:57 PM

What a gorgeous young lady!!  She did a good job on her first quilt.  Keep up the good work.

Kris wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Tuesday, 19 January 2010, 12:02 AM

Jean, you are so right beautiful girl with a beautiful quilt. WTG Alyssa.

Jodie Davis wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Tuesday, 19 January 2010, 7:50 AM

Great job!

Bonnie wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Wednesday, 20 January 2010, 7:31 PM

Alyssa -  You did a beautiful job on your first quilt.  I also do alot sewing/quilting with my granddaughter.  Have fun and good luck with future quilting.

Sandy H. wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Thursday, 21 January 2010, 8:14 AM

Great Job Alyssa and Jean.  This is the same pattern I made for my first quilt 16 years ago.

judi wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Thursday, 21 January 2010, 12:32 PM

You did a beautiful job on your quilt.  I hope you enjoyed making it and will make more!

Shirley wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Thursday, 21 January 2010, 5:30 PM

Wow, what a great job and a beautiful girl. What is her age? I have a granddaughter that just turned 5. I have been working with her on cutting out felt animals and hand sewing. Any suggestions for teaching a 5yr. old.

Shirley wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Thursday, 21 January 2010, 5:30 PM

Gagoo wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Thursday, 21 January 2010, 10:58 PM

Alyssa, you did a great job on your quilt, I hope you stick with it. And what a patient and loving gramma

Marie wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Saturday, 23 January 2010, 5:58 PM

Alyssa, great job and wonderful grandma to teach you this craft.  Keep up the good work!

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Sunday, 24 January 2010, 11:00 AM

Jean and Alyssa--

Such a beautiful quilt.  Hope it's just the first of many you'll work on together.  Is that a label I see on the bottom row, second from the right?

Jean wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Friday, 5 February 2010, 5:27 PM

Joyce Brenden, yest that is a label you see on the bottom row, second from the right.  We needed one more block to complete the last row so decided to add a plain square for the label info on the front and it turned out nicely that way.

My granddaughter was 9yrs old this summer when she made this quilt.  As for a 5yr old...can't say that I have any suggestions other than close attention and lots of patience!!

I'll have to show Alyssa all the great comments from you gals when she is here for a visit in April before they leave for England for three years!

Linda wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Friday, 12 March 2010, 7:50 AM

Wonderful quilt and what memories you are building.  I helped my granddaughter make her first quilt last summer.  She was 7 then, and needed a lot of supervision while sewing the scraps together.  But what fun we had and she is already talking about making another one this summer.  The pattern you used would be a good one for my Emily.  You may just have to buy a second sewing machine so you can now sew together.

Jean wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Tuesday, 16 March 2010, 10:33 PM

Thanks for all the great comments.  ROTFLOL over the suggestion that I may have to buy a second sewing machine so we can now sew together......I already have seven sewing machines so I guess there is room for more grandchildren, right?? :)

kcdelight419@gmail.com wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Friday, 19 March 2010, 5:11 PM

Oh it is so bright and colorful. She did a great job on it. My granddaughter made one for her dad and it has taken a while to get it finished but she started it in 2002 I was going to show her how to quilt it but she was not interested at that time so this year I quilted it for her and she is very proud of her first quilt. It is good to have them interested in what we are interested in.

Beckie

Just J wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Friday, 19 March 2010, 7:39 PM

I love this quilt because I too hate yellow.  It looks very well done, especially for a first quilt.  Keep on quilting!

bjpj@sharontelephone.com wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Saturday, 20 March 2010, 5:08 PM

you must be very proud of your granddaughter!!  She did a nice job and especially being her first quilt.  good luck on many more.

Steff wrote re: "Alyssa's First Quilt" by Jean Brittingham & granddaughter
on Thursday, 29 April 2010, 1:07 AM

Get started early! It adds so much joy to your life to quilt! NICE JOB ON YOUR QUILT!