"Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice

Machine Pieced, Hand Appliqued and Hand Quilted From the book, "Celebration of Life" by Barb Adams and Alma Allen This project began as a BOM until the shop went out of business 3 months into the quilt.  I then had to pick fabric to finish the blocks and decide how to quilt it.  This was my first applique quilt.  I am partial to Baltimore Album Quilts and decided that it was time for me to tackle one.  It began in 2004, then put on hold and brought back out in 2006 and finished in 2009.  Each block has about 18 hours in applique and 18 hours in quilting.  I enjoyed every minute and am ready to start another....  I entered the quilt in the State Fair of Texas 2009 and walked away with Second Place.  I was excited. --

"I cannot count my day complete till, needle, thread and fabric meet."
********************************
Elaine

Comments

Nana wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Wednesday, 13 January 2010, 10:41 PM

Elaine your quilt is gorgeous.  Love the applique and the background fabric is so very pretty with the appliques. Also love the  white triangles in the borders.  They really showcase your designs.  Excellent work.

gini wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Thursday, 14 January 2010, 1:17 AM

elaine,  your quilt is even more amazing close up.   i don't know if everyone realizes, that you can click on  this picture to get a close up of the work.   and it is wonderful...   gini

jay-marie wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Thursday, 14 January 2010, 12:57 PM

Elaine this is amazing it was worth the work you put into it. And we do know now Gini Thanks

Janet wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Thursday, 14 January 2010, 6:36 PM

Elaine, what a beautiful work of art.  Your choice of colors and fabrics is fabulous.  Your quilt shows such texture and definition. EXCELLENT !

Thank you for sharing.

Janet

Stephanie wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Thursday, 14 January 2010, 11:28 PM

Elaine, Congrat's on taking home second place ribbon on your fabulous quilt. What a treasure this is and what a lot of work you put into it. I clicked on to see the details and you really have done an amazing job. Thanks for sharing.

Carol wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Friday, 15 January 2010, 5:07 AM

Elaine,

Beautiful quilt, You have done an amazing job. I love these quilts and someday hope to get up the nerve to try one

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Friday, 15 January 2010, 9:08 PM

Elaine--

"Applique Heritage" is amazing!  Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Joanne wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Saturday, 16 January 2010, 12:04 PM

Elaine, what a beautiful quilt!  It is totally awsome.  I really appreciate you sharing that quilt....I would love to do applique like that, I am starting out with some small stuff first and hopefully one day to do that type of applique.   Your pattern reminded me of the Baltimore Treasure Series....I ordered a couple of their patterns and hope to give them a try.  Once again, what a beautful job you did.  You certainly deserved the prize you received.

JudyT wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Saturday, 16 January 2010, 12:35 PM

beautiful quilt!!!

Jean wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Saturday, 16 January 2010, 2:20 PM

Great workmanship on your first applique, Elaine!  I really love your choice for the background fabric and that you chose to handquilt it.  I too love hand applique and hand quilting so thumbs up from me!!

Bianca wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Sunday, 17 January 2010, 8:58 AM

Elaine,

Your quilt is gorgeous!!! You do wonderful work. Since your magnificent quilt won second place, I want to see the first place too. Great Job!!!

BonnieMac wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Sunday, 17 January 2010, 12:51 PM

Oh, Elaine...I am so impressed!   What a terrific job on this quilt!   I am also impressed with how you finished this project after the quilt shop went out of business since I imagine that was your "inspiration" and your "support" on "how to" do things!   Nice job!

Cecile wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Sunday, 17 January 2010, 2:33 PM

WOW and WOW!  Beautiful work, Elaine!

Jutta wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Sunday, 17 January 2010, 9:08 PM

Congrats on your ribbon. I can't get enough looking at it. All those little details are stunning. I love how your backgroundfabric, the sashing and binding  goes together so beautifully.

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Monday, 18 January 2010, 1:01 PM

Should have been 1st place!  I love it!  Applique is something I want to do a lot more of.

Traci wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Wednesday, 20 January 2010, 2:36 PM

You did a great job on this quilt, Elaine.  Keep up the good work.  I would love to do a Baltimore Album quilt too.  But it looks a little overwhelming to me.  thanks so much for sharing.

Joni wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Monday, 1 February 2010, 8:16 AM

What an accoplishment!  Your quilt is to be treasured.  Love your fabrics and chosen designs.  congratulations on your ribbon win.

Quilter79 wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Friday, 5 February 2010, 8:14 AM

Stunning !  I think your usage of the stripe is awesome.

Thea wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Wednesday, 17 February 2010, 10:37 AM

Very very nice - thank you for sharing!  awesome job!

God bless,

Thea

CJ Hines wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Wednesday, 17 February 2010, 1:26 PM

OOOHHHH! So pretty! I love the striped fabric--it really makes the reds pop! Great job.

Brian VanDyke wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Tuesday, 9 March 2010, 10:29 PM

Elaine

I can only hope to some day be able to applique like that.  It is a true Master piece.  Thanks for sharing.

mpspeedy wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Sunday, 21 March 2010, 11:13 AM

Elaine,

What a beautiful quilt!!  Your use of the stripped background makes it truly your own.  Mimi Dietrich who is a nationally recognized Baltimore Alblum quilter is the founding mother of one of the guilds I belong to.  I have seen her work up close and personal.  Yours is just as beautiful or more so.  I like the use of the stripped fabric it gives it a fresh new look.

Congratulations on your ribbons.

Priscilla wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Friday, 2 April 2010, 3:33 PM

My jaw is on the floor. What beauty. I can't take my eyes off it. There is so much beauty to see. The design is so intricate. 500+ hours? OHHHHH your poor eyes and hands. Mine hurt just thinking of it.

Sherril wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Friday, 16 April 2010, 12:08 PM

What a great idea in using the blue striped backing, instead of the usual white or cream I've seen in other quilts like this.  The blue is subtle enough to let the design show, yet visible enough to provide a nice background for the squares.  I also loved the striped piping border in the red/white.  Excellent work!

Edna wrote re: "Applique Heritage" by Elaine Rice
on Saturday, 17 July 2010, 3:35 AM

I cannot put into words how beautiful this quilt is. So unique. So much talent involved.