"Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham

This is my quilt in progress from a picture of my mother.

Not the background fabric I will be using. It is a technique that I learned in a workshop through my guild given by Annette Kennedy.  I love this process and the detail achieved.  The "Awe" factor is tremendous when you see your quilt come to life each layer that you add and how it truly does look like your original picture.  My mind is working overtime on others that I want to do!  Will post finished quilt when completed.

Comments

Nana wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Monday, 11 January 2010, 10:11 PM

This is going to be awesome.  Would love to see the technique used.

Stephanie wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Monday, 11 January 2010, 11:48 PM

Jean, Love this picture. Just look at your Mother's eyes and her hands.  Also, love the title. When I look at her picture I can see she is in another place in time. It's going to make a beautiful quilt and a work of art. I can't wait to see it finished. Thank's for sharing..I too would be interested in the technique.

gini wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Tuesday, 12 January 2010, 12:28 AM

jean, i would love to see the progression of your quilt, too.  it is a wonderful tribute to your mom.  gini

Kris wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Tuesday, 12 January 2010, 1:02 AM

Fantastic Jean. This is wonderful. Don't forget to show us the finished product.

Patti wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Tuesday, 12 January 2010, 8:58 AM

Wow Jean.  I got a book once on how to do this, and have some pictures I would like to use, but have never gotten around to it.  My excuse is that I am improving my skills first so that I can better undertake such a project.  Wonderful quilt.

judi wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Tuesday, 12 January 2010, 12:13 PM

This is going to be a wonderful quilt.  I would like to learn how to do it too.  What a remembrance.

Marie wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Wednesday, 13 January 2010, 3:37 PM

Jean, except for the color hair, my mother's was snow white, this could be an image of my mother.  Thanks for sharing, it gave me such a warm feeling.

Jean wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Wednesday, 13 January 2010, 6:44 PM

Thanks for all the great comments on my quilt.  Mentioned the wrong technique as it was actually from a workshop given through my quilt guild by Julianne Kravetz  (www.photofabrique.biz)

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Friday, 15 January 2010, 9:43 PM

Jean--

Your "photo" quilt is unbelievably realistic.  What a wonderful technique. Hope to hear more about the process.  Thank you for sharing.

Jean wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Saturday, 16 January 2010, 2:10 PM

The technique is an applique layering technique starting with the darkest color and finishing with the lightest.  There are actually 7 layers to this particular quilt using 7 fabrics.

Donna Harmeyer wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Sunday, 17 January 2010, 8:00 PM

Wow! Please do share your progress with us.

Jutta wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Sunday, 17 January 2010, 9:32 PM

What a fantastic idea. I bet you are excited to get it finished. The photo blends beautifully with your background fabric. I imagine you are going to hand quilt this piece of art.

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Monday, 18 January 2010, 1:07 PM

Oh Wow!!!! All I can say...WOW!! Can hardly wait to see the finished project.

Jean wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Monday, 18 January 2010, 7:16 PM

Jutta, since this quilt has seven layers I am not going to handquilt it.  I've also chosen a different background that I think works better.  I hope to do some threadpainting, blanket stitch, and free motion to quilt it.

Thanks again to all for all the great comments.

jnboehln@gtec.com wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Wednesday, 10 February 2010, 10:57 AM

WOW!!!  There is nothing else to say except I, too, would like to learn how to do this technique.  I have a picture of my Grandmother and Grandfather from early 1900s when they were dating and would love to do a quilt of them.  Are there instructions available somewhere?

chocake2 wrote re: "Mother Deep In Thought" by Jean Brittingham
on Sunday, 28 February 2010, 8:38 PM

OH my... that is just YuMMMmmmY!