"Dresden Plate" by Barb

I dyed white fabric using shaving cream and dye.  Using a Dresden Plate template, cut sections out of each color of dyed fabric and joined them together.  These were appliqued onto background fabric.  The ends were made by cutting two plates in half, sewing along the rounded edges and turning right side out. Buttons are sewn in center of each.

Comments

Kris wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Friday, 8 January 2010, 7:21 PM

Barb, I really like this. I never heard of using shaving cream for dyeing.

jay-marie wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Saturday, 9 January 2010, 5:18 AM

I love this you must tell us how to dye using shaving foam. It is a beautiful design and I love your colors.

Nana wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Saturday, 9 January 2010, 10:11 AM

Love your Dresden Plate.  Have never heard of shaving cream dyeing....how do you do it?

Patti wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Saturday, 9 January 2010, 4:12 PM

I love how the colors came out.  And using the plates for the borders is a great idea too.

gini wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Saturday, 9 January 2010, 8:04 PM

barb, your dresden plate is one of the prettiest i've seen.   love your borders, and tell us more about the dying process.  gini

Lilian wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Sunday, 10 January 2010, 1:06 PM

I really like what you did with this quilt, Barb.  Good colors, nice design, and 'flip over' scallops.  I enjoy making table runners too, so I may copy your idea some day.  I made some table mats for my son's family with a similar design, but he hung them up on the wall because he didn't want them messed up.  :):) What size is the quilt?  Are those 10" or 12" blocks?  Very nice job.

Jutta wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Sunday, 17 January 2010, 9:00 PM

That's adorable! Great job, Barb.

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Monday, 18 January 2010, 5:56 PM

Barb...where did you find the shaving cream dye directions?  Would love to hear about the process.  Love the way this came out!

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Monday, 18 January 2010, 5:56 PM

Jodie Davis wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Tuesday, 19 January 2010, 7:52 AM

Pssst! Barb, you need to enter this in the Designer's Challenge!!!

Lilian wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Saturday, 23 January 2010, 11:11 AM

As with most other things in the world, check Google to find out about shaving cream dye for fabrics.  It's one of the best resources for quilters and everyone else. :):)

Barbara Garrett wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Tuesday, 26 January 2010, 6:20 PM

So many asked how to use shaving cream to dye fabric so, here it is in a nut shell.  I fill a 2" deep roasting pan with about 1" shaving cream, drizzle 3 or 4 lines  (top to bottom) with liquid fabric dye.  Use a knife and swirl from left to right down pan.  Cut washed fabric a little smaller than the bottom of the pan.  Wet fabric and towel dry.  Starting at one end lower fabric into pan.  Gently pat fabric to get any air bubbles out.  Let it sit for a while (the longer the more intense the color).  Gently lift fabric and place cream side up onto freezer.  I use a credit card and scrape cream off in.  This also blends the color.  Rinse and set color either with vinegar and water or any other product intended for this purpose.  Good Luck.

Barbara Garrett wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Tuesday, 26 January 2010, 6:38 PM

Meant to say "....place cream side up onto freezer paper".  Sorry about that.

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Sunday, 31 January 2010, 8:07 PM

ooo... like marble paper printing...almost...lol.  I'm going to try this.  I have a book on dying/colorizing fabric...this was not in it... It's my top thing to do when I can get outside with no wind and no critters...though a few rooster & puppy chasing rooster tracks might enhance the dye some! LOL... thanks for the instructions.

Maria wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Wednesday, 17 February 2010, 5:36 PM

There was a guy named Joe something on Simply Quilts along time ago who taught this process, I also saw it in one of my many quilting magazines but it's been so long ago can't think of which one. I tried the process many years ago and still have the original aluminum pan it was alot of fun to do. Your quilt is quite lovely.

Willie L wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Wednesday, 17 February 2010, 7:34 PM

Simply beautiful.The guys name is Joe Cunningham I think,that was on SQ.He was teamed with Gwen Marston for awhile.Tells how long I have been a quiltaholic.

BRJohn28@sio.midco.net wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Tuesday, 2 March 2010, 12:17 PM

Barb this is really great, will have to try and do one for my sister with 110' table.  She has all her kids and grandkids for Sunday dinner every week.  Really a good job.  Thanks  Barb Johnson

BRJohn28@sio.midco.net wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Tuesday, 2 March 2010, 12:18 PM

Barb, This is absolutely beautiful, good job, will have to try this soon,

helenfurr wrote re: "Dresden Plate" by Barb
on Saturday, 24 April 2010, 5:47 PM

could you please send me a step by step instruction of dresden plate pattern