"I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers

After I brought my sewing machine back from servicing at a quilt shop, I
started this whole cloth in white during one of my QU classes.  Everything
was going along fine until I noticed some grey streaking.  Unfortunately,
the 'technician' put the wrong oil/lubricant into the machine which caused
the streaking. I took it back to the shop for them to fix their damage.
But, I was too far along to toss the quilt, so I improvised and changed to a
variegated thread.  I initially titled the quilt, "I washed it!", from a
cartoon I saw in which a lion came upon his friends with a humidly
wild-looking mane.  That was his explanation for the weird look.
The quilt is 19" square, on white with YLI silk and variegated thread, Hello
Kitty border, and crystals on her eyes that caught the light.

(c) Lilian Myers

Comments

Jutta wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Tuesday, 29 December 2009, 10:11 PM

Lilian, that is very original. I love it.

Pat wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Tuesday, 29 December 2009, 10:24 PM

Lillian, I love the cat face, it's soooo cute.  I think you did a very good job!

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Wednesday, 30 December 2009, 12:24 AM

Lillian--

What a clever way to save your quilt.  It looks just great.

gini wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Wednesday, 30 December 2009, 2:01 AM

lilian, i love your cat quilt.  gini

Kathy wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Wednesday, 30 December 2009, 6:24 AM

What a pretty face on your cat.  Great save and Great job!

Helen Bell wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Wednesday, 30 December 2009, 7:36 AM

WOW!! Lilian...amazing....I am a huge cat fan so this really appeals to me...hmmm..I have seen black t-shirts with just facial features on it...hmmm..maybe I could do my Tabatha...is this your idea or a pattern?

Eileen wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Wednesday, 30 December 2009, 9:00 AM

Lilian, this is great! The eyes are beautiful. Good, creative save on your part, too.

Lilian wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Wednesday, 30 December 2009, 10:54 AM

Thank you, ladies; I appreciate your comments on this 'lemonade'  out of lemons quilt.

Helen, yes this was my idea for a quilt of a photo my son took of my cat, Asia.  Lately, I've seen works by Toni Whitney of a variety of animals that I wanted to try, but those would not be original.  As a quilt, this one is although her eyes are a bit exaggerated.  At least I think it is, I haven't seen any cat quilts quite like mine.

Nana wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Wednesday, 30 December 2009, 1:05 PM

Lilian

I love it and no the eyes aren't exaggerated they are just perfect.  Great save and a beautiful quilt.

Kris wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Wednesday, 30 December 2009, 3:31 PM

This is fantastic. Love it Lillian.

jay-marie wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Wednesday, 30 December 2009, 4:38 PM

Lillian I love it and the cats eyes are perfect what a great idea!

Patti wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Wednesday, 30 December 2009, 8:38 PM

This is wonderful.  I wonder if I could do something similar from a picture I have of my neighbors chihuahua.  And of course I will have to try with my dog as well.  (Probably only in my dreams, would it turn out as well as  your art work, but at least give me some good dreams.)

Patti wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Wednesday, 30 December 2009, 8:38 PM

Gagoo wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Wednesday, 30 December 2009, 11:42 PM

What a cute way to save your quilt. It looks great

Lilian wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Wednesday, 30 December 2009, 11:50 PM

Patti, Patti:  :):)

Such a quilt would be easy to do.  It started out as a white whole cloth quilt in Carol Miller's Quilt University class, "Machine Quilting."  I did a light sketch of the face on paper and used that as my model.  I then quilted a background grid of 2-inch squares, and just guessed at where the main features would be and outlined them with disappearing blue pencil (eyes, nose, mouth, and ears).  Since the grid is white on white, you can't see it in this photo.  (I might send in a detail shot when the sun shines out here; it's been raining.)  The whole quilt is thread- painted except for the crystals on her eyes.  Where it looks white (forehead, between the ears, and the side of her face), is all white thread.  You can see the grayish streaks where the lubricant started melting into the thread and fabric.  That's when I started using the variegated thread.  I'm not an artist per se, but I enjoy thread painting.

Stephanie wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Thursday, 31 December 2009, 6:12 AM

Lillian, What a great job you did and such a neat idea. Would love to see a detail shot.

BonnieMac wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Friday, 1 January 2010, 9:57 AM

Lillian...you thought "outside the box" to turn drips of oil into a wonderful teasure!  Nice job!

nkcjewel@aol.com wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Friday, 1 January 2010, 3:14 PM

What a great quilt Lillian!  I love it!

Marie wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Friday, 1 January 2010, 10:39 PM

Lillian, love this quilt and your save was very creative!

Barb wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Saturday, 2 January 2010, 5:05 PM

What a great creative save Lilian! Makes me think I should revisit a couple of projects and 'think outside of my box', maybe they too can be salvaged. Thanks for the inspiration :)

Barb, Mn

marilyn wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Sunday, 3 January 2010, 9:30 PM

I really love this quilt.  I have not tried to do anything like this.  By the way my maiden name is Myers also.  I live in southeast Iowa.  Where do you live?

Lilian wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Monday, 4 January 2010, 9:23 AM

Hi, Marilyn:

I'm pleased that you like my quilt.  It's more vibrant in person and only 19" square.  If Liz posts the model I used (my cat Asia), you can see what I will be doing next, but more true to her colors.  Thread painting is easy to do, just lightly sketch an outline and go at it.  Try it with a small magnolia or daisy on a 6-inch mat, then go from there.

About the name, Myers, it's my former husband's last name, I just never bothered to change it.  His family is from Omaha, but I'm familiar with parts of Iowa.  I've lived in a dozen states, but I'm originally from San Diego, now temporarily in south carolina.

Lilian

Jean wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Thursday, 7 January 2010, 2:55 PM

Lilian,  your quilt brings an instant smile to my face and I'm not even a cat lover!  What an amazing idea and save.  I've been wanting to try some thread painting and might have to use a photo of one of our Yorkies and experiment.  What have I got to loose?  Thanks for sharing!

nardapoulin wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers
on Saturday, 23 October 2010, 12:58 PM

That is a real cool quilt.  I erally like it. It will make a lovely wall hanging. I have afriend who loves cats, I'm sure she would love something like this.

Nancy T wrote re: "I Washed It!" by Lilian Myers