"Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes

My 10-year-old grandson and I made this "Bug Jar" quilt with 36 different fabrics; this was his first quilt. He did a lot of the pinning, sewing  and pressing. He was very happy with it and couldn't wait to take it home to use it.

Marty Reyes

Comments

gini wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Thursday, 26 November 2009, 12:47 AM

marty, i wouldn't be able to wait either.   nice work, i bet your real proud of that grandson.   gini

Corlissd wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Thursday, 26 November 2009, 1:17 AM

Wow that's terrific. How long did it take the two of you to complete this quilt?

quilter413@hotmail.com wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Thursday, 26 November 2009, 11:00 AM

I started collecting fabrics about a year ago, then I found a collection of 20 bug fabrics cut into small rectangles while on a quilt  retreat in Tahoe in June. (Quilting Tahoe Quilt store) She also had a kit you could buy and that adorable fabric that I used for the border.

So when I got home from the retreat, we started working, I only worked when he was able to come over. I took it on another quilt retreat  in late October (Truckee) and machine quilted it.

It really is a simple pattern and you can make the jars any size you like. I found several patterns online. I am collecting fruit and vegetable fabrics now for a kitchen quilt for myself!

gini wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Thursday, 26 November 2009, 11:13 AM

marty, i like your shirt, too.  did you make it?    gini

quilter413@hotmail.com wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Thursday, 26 November 2009, 11:30 AM

Thank you,yes, I did make it. It is made from felted wool. I have made two other sweatshirt jackets, one with redwork and another with fall applique. I'll put them on when I have a minute!

Kelley wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Thursday, 26 November 2009, 12:14 PM

Great quilt he should be vry proud of himself. I hope he has caught the sewing / quilting bug like the rest of us..

Eileen wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Thursday, 26 November 2009, 7:19 PM

Marty, it looks like he's very proud - and rightly so - of his first quilt. How great of you to do this project with him! The fabrics are a lot of fun.  Whoever came up with this pattern was a genius. Kudos to you and your grandson for making this and sharing it with us :-)

Stephanie wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Thursday, 26 November 2009, 8:01 PM

Marty and grandson, Beautiful job on your quilt and caring on the tradition of quilting. Great job. Marty I love your shirt as well. I am so thrilled for you to have your grandson to share your skills with.

Dale wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Thursday, 26 November 2009, 8:30 PM

Love your quilt and what a wonderful job the two of you did.  Please show us the kitchen one when you finish it.

Shelia wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Saturday, 28 November 2009, 1:38 PM

Great quilt the two of you made!  Tell him to keep quilting, he did an excellent job!

Nana wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Saturday, 28 November 2009, 2:13 PM

You and your GS did an excellent job.  He should be very proud of his work and I hope he continues in learning quilting skills.   Great Job

Kris wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Saturday, 28 November 2009, 3:41 PM

Beautiful quilt Marty. It's great you two could do this together. He will cherish the memory for years to come. I hope he continues to love quilts and makes many more with his wonderful grandmother.

Alicia wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Saturday, 28 November 2009, 7:07 PM

I love this pattern, I made one a couple of years ago - it was so fun to collect all the bugs! Much better than collecting real bugs. :)

Bonnie wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Monday, 30 November 2009, 9:42 PM

My first quilt ever, which was July of this year, I did "Baby Farm Animals" in a jar.  I embroidered the baby farm animals in the jars.  I got third place at the Lassen Co. Fair.  I started my granddaughter in sewing/quilting last February and she made 2 quilts for fair which took a first and second place in junior quilting and she is 10 years old also.  Her love for it is just amazing.  Keep up the good work grandma and grandson!!

Jutta wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Thursday, 3 December 2009, 8:40 PM

Marty your Bug Quilt is adorable. I can't believe all the "Bug Fabric" you found for it. Great job, lucky Grandma.

MNnancy wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Thursday, 3 December 2009, 10:23 PM

What fun fabric!  And the bottle idea is perfect for anyone who remembers collecting bugs in jars.

msplantladi wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Thursday, 10 December 2009, 7:42 PM

Marty that is so neat that you got your GS into quilting, what a great way to bond together and the quilt turned out really great, you both should be proud. I saw this pattern a couple yrs ago and I just started collecting candy fabrics for mine.....thanks for sharing.

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Saturday, 12 December 2009, 9:07 PM

Marty--

Bug jar quilts are always such fun to look at and this one is terrific.  How special that you and your grandson worked on it together.

EILEENG-2 wrote re: "Bug Jar" quilt by Marty Reyes
on Tuesday, 1 June 2010, 11:28 AM

Great job! Very colorful! He's a lucky boy to have you sharing with him. I used this same pattern for a friend's daughter but used fairies in all the jars!