"Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.

I just completed this quilt top and wanted to share it with you.
The story behind it is this:  My friend saw a jellyroll of batiks and had to have them.  She is not a quilter but decided she would teach herself using this jellyroll.  I did not know about all this at the time!  She started having problems and was going to throw it in the trash.  I said NOOOO! it can be salvaged. She told me to just take it.  So I took it and this is what it turned into.  It's not the log cabin she had originially wanted but I think she will be pleased (hope so anyway).  Carol W.

Comments

Eileen wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Tuesday, 10 November 2009, 8:28 AM

Carol, this is beautiful! Hopefully when she sees this she'll try quilting again. I can see why she wanted to buy the roll- the batiks are pure eye candy.

Carol W wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Tuesday, 10 November 2009, 3:46 PM

My friend was thrilled when she saw this!  Is now trying to locate somebody to machine quilt it for her.  Since this happened I have been working with her and another friend getting them started in quilting.  They are almost finished with the piecing of a Disappearing 9 Patch top.  We have been having a blast!!

Jutta wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Tuesday, 10 November 2009, 5:14 PM

Carol, this is a beautiful quilt top. Great jelly roll design. I am glad you saved it from going down the dumpster.

Kris wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Tuesday, 10 November 2009, 6:02 PM

Great work Carol. I'm so glad you got her to keep going.

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Wednesday, 11 November 2009, 12:19 PM

Carol--

A real "trash to treasure" story and besides rescuing the quilt, it sounds like you've recruited a couple of new quilters as well.  WTG

Maria wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Wednesday, 11 November 2009, 12:50 PM

Carol the quilt is stunning, the colors are so beautiful. Remind me of the season we don't see enough of anymore FALL. I am glad that you now have budding quilters and are having a good time with the girls.

lauren.anderson wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Wednesday, 11 November 2009, 3:56 PM

This quilt top looks like it was plucked right from a Vermont fall landscape! You are the best kind of friend.

Joni wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Thursday, 12 November 2009, 7:19 AM

I love it!  Just plain ole warmth for the eyes as well as the body!  What a unique way to do a rail fence!

Patti wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Thursday, 12 November 2009, 7:40 AM

Wow, what a rescue with exciting results.  A happy ending for all.

Thea wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Thursday, 12 November 2009, 8:39 AM

Carol - it is stunningly beautiful - I love the mixture of orange colors - you did an outstanding job!  thank you for sharing with us.

God bless,

Thea

Gagoo wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Thursday, 12 November 2009, 11:59 AM

Beautiful! I love the colors and the fact that you used just two colors for the little square in the middle.

Make me want to jump into a pile of leaves.

Have heard a few ladies mention "Disappearing 9 block."  is there a photo someone can post, the name intrigues me.

Carol W wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Thursday, 12 November 2009, 11:39 PM

Gagoo, I have just posted some disappearing 9 patch quilts under quilt pictures.Check them out!

Shelia wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Friday, 13 November 2009, 9:43 AM

Beautiful quilt!  Love the colors and thanks for sharing.

MNnancy wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Saturday, 14 November 2009, 1:52 PM

I love the earth colors, and the three narrow borders really pulls it all together!  Beautiful quilt, Carol!

Nana wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Sunday, 15 November 2009, 9:36 PM

Awesome.  The colors are so capturing and takes me back to playing in the leaves as a child.  You have done an excellent job.  WTG getting 2 more quilters on board.

Pamela Windspirit wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Monday, 16 November 2009, 6:49 AM

This is sooooo yummy.  Fall is my favorite season.  I bet your friend will be having another go at quilting soon!

gini wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Friday, 20 November 2009, 1:13 AM

what a great story, that turned into a lovely quilt.    gini

Karen Brauer wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Friday, 8 January 2010, 7:12 PM

Wow, I love this quilt.  The colors are wonderful and so is the design.

Carol wrote re: "Rescued From The Trash" by Carol W.
on Saturday, 17 April 2010, 9:54 PM

I'm another "Carol" who's partial to scrap quilts - I love yours and that you're teaching them to quilt!  I can't bear to see anyone throw away any scraps either - must be a "Carol" trait!!