"A Quilt for the Quilter" by Patt C.

I made this quilt for my mother-in-law.  She was the one who always made quilts for the family and when she was moved from her home into an assisted living facility all her quilts were distributed to the family.  She really misses her quilts and so when I finished my last quilt, I asked her if she would like a quilt and she said yes.  I spoke to her about a paper doll pattern that resembled the McCall's magazine paper dolls.  She told me that when she was a young girl both her and her sisters would play with the cutout dolls once the magazine was read.  I had no idea that McCall's had been making cutout dolls for so long (at least from 1918).  That was the end of our conversation.  Little did she know that I was making the quilt.  I finished the quilt last week and gave it to her and she loves it.  There is only one pattern piece I used on this quilt it is called Frolic Variation and was found in McCall's Quilting - Patt C.

Here is a closeup shot:

Comments

Eileen wrote re: "A Quilt for the Quilter" by Patt C.
on Tuesday, 10 November 2009, 8:31 AM

Patt, this is adorable. I've seen the paper doll fabric before and thought it would be charming for someone who played with paper dolls. You seem to have found the perfect recipient. What a wonderful gift!

msplantladi wrote re: "A Quilt for the Quilter" by Patt C.
on Tuesday, 10 November 2009, 8:50 AM

Patti you post really touched my heart, what a wonderful daughter in law you are. Love the quilt, I am sure you made your mom in law get teary eyed. And yes i am old enough to remember playing w/ those PD's.

Gagoo wrote re: "A Quilt for the Quilter" by Patt C.
on Tuesday, 10 November 2009, 12:57 PM

Beautiful quilt and a lovely story. Now I'm getting all teary eyed!!

Melody Lee wrote re: "A Quilt for the Quilter" by Patt C.
on Tuesday, 10 November 2009, 5:37 PM

How thoughful you are.  What a wonderful gift of love. Great job.

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "A Quilt for the Quilter" by Patt C.
on Wednesday, 11 November 2009, 12:11 PM

Patt--

Your MIL must have been so thrilled to receive this very special quilt.  How very thoughtful of you to make such a wonderful gift for her.  Is she able to work on quilts in her new living facility?

Maria wrote re: "A Quilt for the Quilter" by Patt C.
on Wednesday, 11 November 2009, 12:55 PM

Patt the quilt is great. I too remembering playing with the paper dolls as a child, they were so much fun. I have often seen this fabric and thought about making something with it but didn't know what, now I do. Thanks for sharing.

Kris wrote re: "A Quilt for the Quilter" by Patt C.
on Friday, 13 November 2009, 2:26 AM

Patt, your quilt is lovely. What a wonderful gesture you've made. Thanks for sharing.

jay-marie wrote re: "A Quilt for the Quilter" by Patt C.
on Friday, 13 November 2009, 9:41 AM

What a wonderful quilt I loved these dolls when I was a little girl, I bet your MIL loves it.

Shelia wrote re: "A Quilt for the Quilter" by Patt C.
on Friday, 13 November 2009, 9:48 AM

This quilt is so adorable. What a wonderful gift for your MIL.  I remember playing with paper dolls.

JABertness1@aol.com wrote re: "A Quilt for the Quilter" by Patt C.
on Friday, 13 November 2009, 11:49 AM

Very thoughtful and you will never be forgotten by you Mother-in-law.  Well done

crystalh wrote re: "A Quilt for the Quilter" by Patt C.
on Saturday, 14 November 2009, 6:46 PM

That  is a really neat way to use the paper dolls.

Nana wrote re: "A Quilt for the Quilter" by Patt C.
on Sunday, 15 November 2009, 9:31 PM

Patt

Your quilt is lovely and it is so sweet that you did this for your MIL.  I remember playing with those dolls too.  This quilt will not only give her warmth and present day love and memories but the memories of all those days gone by.  Excellent choice.

gini wrote re: "A Quilt for the Quilter" by Patt C.
on Friday, 20 November 2009, 1:11 AM

patt. what a nice quilt to make for your mil.   gini