"At Emerson Pond" by Emma

I made this quilt for our first grandchild (when he was 7 years old) using Anne Moscicki's pattern 'Down at the Bay' from her book 'Joined at the Heart'. At the time, my daughter's family was living on property bordering Emerson Pond where they often spent time fishing and playing along it's shore. Instead of using Anne's whimsical fish, I purposely appliqued fish native to the area and ones my Grandson might've personally caught. This was a fun quilt to make and one my husband and sons were willing to give lots of input on. I used various textures and colors to represent truer colors, even turning some fabrics 'wrong-side out' for more muted coloring. Using black thread, I went back and stitched the eyes, spots, etc. I quilted the finished quilt with an all-over swirl design to represent water.

Pieced and Quilted by
Emma in Washington

Comments

Marie wrote re: "At Emerson Pond" by Emma
on Monday, 2 November 2009, 5:03 PM

Great quilt Emma, your grandson must love it!  Love the colors and the fish.  Your FMQ of the swirls look wonderful!

Marie

Kris wrote re: "At Emerson Pond" by Emma
on Monday, 2 November 2009, 5:28 PM

How lovely. Emma you did a wonderful job with this quilt. Thanks you so much for sharing.

Eileen wrote re: "At Emerson Pond" by Emma
on Monday, 2 November 2009, 8:05 PM

Very cool! I love how the fish look agains the blues and blue-greens of the "water' but sometimes blend in with the green border.

Jutta wrote re: "At Emerson Pond" by Emma
on Monday, 2 November 2009, 9:49 PM

This is a great quilt. Great idea with the fish.....they look so real. Thanks for sharing.

Nana wrote re: "At Emerson Pond" by Emma
on Monday, 2 November 2009, 11:27 PM

This is a great quilt.  I love the way you made the fish ...very realistic.  Great job.

Stephanie wrote re: "At Emerson Pond" by Emma
on Tuesday, 3 November 2009, 7:48 AM

This is so cool Emma, The fish look like they're really swimming on top of the quilt. I love the blocks  with the angled strip piecing and the fabrics you used are perfect. great job.

Patti wrote re: "At Emerson Pond" by Emma
on Tuesday, 3 November 2009, 7:50 AM

Wonderful quilt.  I really like it when pieced objects, animals, etc look realistic.  Beautiful fish.  Someday I would like to design a quilt wall hanging with mourning doves calling the salmon up stream.  It is an Indian legend here that the mourning doves and salmon are lovers and the salmon are called up stream by them.

I hope my ideas turn out as beautiful as your fish.

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "At Emerson Pond" by Emma
on Tuesday, 3 November 2009, 12:34 PM

Emma--

You did a masterful job on the quilt!  I love the off-set look of the blocks and detailing in the fish.  It's no wonder the men in your family so willingly offered input because the quilt certainly has universal appeal.  Terrific job.

Marge Campbell wrote re: "At Emerson Pond" by Emma
on Wednesday, 4 November 2009, 6:10 PM

Very nice!

Jeanine wrote re: "At Emerson Pond" by Emma
on Wednesday, 4 November 2009, 9:08 PM

This is so wonderful.  The fish look real and I love the quilting.

masufa wrote re: "At Emerson Pond" by Emma
on Monday, 9 November 2009, 4:04 PM

Emma, what a great quilt I love it! I'm sure your grandson is very proud.

Applik wrote re: "At Emerson Pond" by Emma
on Friday, 13 November 2009, 1:05 PM

Emma

Great job with quilting makes me feel like I'm underwater with the fish. Bet your grandson will love it to pieces

gini wrote re: "At Emerson Pond" by Emma
on Friday, 20 November 2009, 1:16 AM

emma, i love everything about this quilt.  the pieced background the fish swimming into the quilt.  nice job.  gini