"Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Patt Christensen

FLY TO SLEEP:  I made this quilt for my grandson.  Hid dad is a bush pilot in Alaska.  I saw the center panel of the cockpit and then located prints with airplanes in them and put this quilt together.   The picture above is of the entire quilt .Below is a close-up of the little pillow.  I created the cover for the pillow using the split back for easy removal and washing/drying.

A QUILT FOR DAD.  I created this quilt below using scraps and fat quarters for my dad's father's day gift.  He finally told me he was a little bent out of shape since I had made quilts for my grandkids and some baby gifts and was very excited to get it.  Some of the squares the fabric was thin and hard to handle so I used thin iron on fusible facing which made it a lot easier to work with and helped to keep its shape.   A very nice lady I quilt with told me about this trick.

Comments

Stephanie wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Randy Christensen
on Sunday, 11 October 2009, 9:13 PM

Randy

These are great! What perfect fabrics. And they all work so nicely together. Precious story about your Dad. They so rarely ask for anything, he must have been so tickled when you made a quilt just for him. Thank you for sharing the tip about the interfacing on the woven fabrics. The last woven I bought from Moda fabrics was terribly flimsy and impossible to square up. I wish I'd have seen this tip earlier. Beautiful job on your quilts

Thea wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Randy Christensen
on Sunday, 11 October 2009, 9:56 PM

Randy - awesome job - I am sure your Dad loves it - we forget about the men in our lives with our quilting... My Dad, although I loved him dearly, never saw the use in a quilt when you could go to the store and buy a blanket... I made him one anyway.  It is nice that your Dad loves what you do - very very nice job!

God bless,

Thea

skunkworks@hunterlink.net.au wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Randy Christensen
on Sunday, 11 October 2009, 9:57 PM

Randy

I bought the same panel and some of the same aircraft fabric as you did - but my fabrics are still in the pouch waiting for me to "be inspired". i like what you did. maybe I could start this project next week?

Jackie Masson

gini wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Randy Christensen
on Sunday, 11 October 2009, 10:15 PM

randy, you did a great job on both quilts.  i'm sure the recipients loved them.   gini

Spudgrandma wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Randy Christensen
on Monday, 12 October 2009, 1:02 AM

Randy,

They are both wonderful. I bet your grandson was really thrilled!

Granma Sylvia wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Randy Christensen
on Monday, 12 October 2009, 5:14 AM

Very nice quilts that you have created.  I am sure your Dad and Grandson just love their new quilts.

I have given each of my grandsons (6) a quilt from Grandma and when they graduate, they will get  another to have when they are off to their next adventure in life, filled with Grandma's love and best wishes.

Sylvia

Barbara wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Randy Christensen
on Monday, 12 October 2009, 8:34 AM

Very creative!  Love the airplanes.

All the quilts are great.  I haven't been on line lately.  Had eye surgery and am waiting for my new glasses.  Love to see what all the ladies are doing.  They really inspire me to do more and better.

Helen Bell wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Randy Christensen
on Monday, 12 October 2009, 9:15 AM

great quilts Randy...I giggled when you said your Dad was a little upset that he didn't have a quilt.  I too had never made Dad a quilt..then when I finally did make him one, he loved it, I didn't realize that he was waiting for one too!! I thought he wouldn't want one..I made his out of planes on the back and birds on the front..two of his favourite things

Martha wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Randy Christensen
on Monday, 12 October 2009, 3:27 PM

Great job!  I love how you pulled the idea together around the "cockpit" fabric.  Great job on the traditional quilt as well!

Kris wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Randy Christensen
on Monday, 12 October 2009, 9:32 PM

Wonderful quilts. I like them both.

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Randy Christensen
on Monday, 12 October 2009, 10:16 PM

I love them both!  I also use fusible, non woven interfacing on thin fabrics...even on old quilt tops to make them more stable.

June wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Randy Christensen
on Tuesday, 13 October 2009, 7:05 PM

They are both such creative quilts and very nicely done!  Good tip about using fusible~thanks.

Gagoo wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Randy Christensen
on Saturday, 17 October 2009, 10:10 PM

I'll bet he snuggles up toasty warm and dreams of flying and probably of his special Gramma, too

Jutta wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Randy Christensen
on Monday, 19 October 2009, 12:04 AM

My grandson would love this one too. Very cute!

Sharyn wrote re: "Fly to Sleep" and "A Quilt for Dad" by Patt Christensen
on Friday, 30 October 2009, 11:51 AM

Thank you for sharing this quilt.

I can see that it is tailor fit for one who flys.

sharyn