"Sarah's Soothing Songs" by Jackie Masson

Hi again,

Here is another quillow I made, this time for Sarah. Sarah's family had just purchased a piano and she was going to be having lessons. I thought I would give her something to practice with.   The music is real - I downloaded it from the Internet then digitized it and stitched it out. (If I was to do it again I would probably print it instead).

For those of us who don't read music very well, the panels should read

1st 8 bars of Waltzing Matilda (Sarah's father is Australian)
1st 8 bars of Beethoven's 5th symphony
1st 4 bars of Bach's Minuet in G
1st 4 bars of Beethoven's 9th symphony - Ode to Joy

I know - I have been told several times - the piano keyboard down the center has more than the regulation number of keys. I make quilts not music.

Here is another picture:

Jackie Masson

Comments

gini wrote re: "Sarah's Soothing Songs" by Jackie Masson
on Sunday, 4 October 2009, 12:37 AM

jackie,  way cool, i never could have thought to write the music on the quilt      gini

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Sarah's Soothing Songs" by Jackie Masson
on Sunday, 4 October 2009, 5:15 PM

Jackie--

Brilliant idea and as Gini said "way cool"

Stephanie wrote re: "Sarah's Soothing Songs" by Jackie Masson
on Sunday, 4 October 2009, 6:00 PM

Jackie, LOL at your confessing to make quilts and not music. I'd have never realized the piano keyboard had too many  keys if you hadn't told me. I think this is really neat especially the way you did actual music, and the fabrics. Thanks for sharing.

Kris wrote re: "Sarah's Soothing Songs" by Jackie Masson
on Monday, 5 October 2009, 11:38 PM

Beautiful. I love it.

Thea wrote re: "Sarah's Soothing Songs" by Jackie Masson
on Wednesday, 7 October 2009, 8:14 PM

Jackie, Very nice!  I love the keyboard!  I would say it has just the right number of keys...

God bless,

Thea

Anita wrote re: "Sarah's Soothing Songs" by Jackie Masson
on Wednesday, 7 October 2009, 9:28 PM

Jackie, Very nice!

Marie wrote re: "Sarah's Soothing Songs" by Jackie Masson
on Thursday, 8 October 2009, 7:54 PM

Great quilt Jackie!  As for the keys, who's counting?

coziquilter wrote re: "Sarah's Soothing Songs" by Jackie Masson
on Saturday, 10 October 2009, 8:57 AM

Great gift idea for a budding musician .

very clever .

Aren't computers great.

coziquilter

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Sarah's Soothing Songs" by Jackie Masson
on Sunday, 11 October 2009, 10:18 AM

I love it!  My Dad was Swedish (born in Chicago) and he sang Waltzing Matilda all the time.

Jutta wrote re: "Sarah's Soothing Songs" by Jackie Masson
on Monday, 19 October 2009, 12:13 AM

Very cute. What a fun quilt this is.

Diane S. wrote re: "Sarah's Soothing Songs" by Jackie Masson
on Wednesday, 16 December 2009, 1:59 PM

Great Quilt- Who cares about the keys. Does you'r quillow fold into a pillow?  If it does, do you know where I could

find the pattern.  I just want to know how you fold into a pillow.  Thanks

skunkworks@hunterlink.net.au wrote re: "Sarah's Soothing Songs" by Jackie Masson
on Wednesday, 16 December 2009, 2:19 PM

Hi,

I made this pattern up - it is about 60 inches long by 45 inches wide. The pillow flap is about 17 inches by 16 inches.

To fold it up -

Turn the quilt over so the backing is up.

Fold the quilt into three lengthways.

Fold the quilt in half, then half again so it is now a square - in this case about 15 inches.

The pillow flap should now be on the bottom of the square and you just pull it over the top and tuck the rest of the quilt inside.

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw Sarah practicing unfolding and refolding her quillow with all the  enthusiasm of a 9 year old - I wondered if the stitching and the fabric would hold together.

Diane S. wrote re: "Sarah's Soothing Songs" by Jackie Masson
on Saturday, 2 January 2010, 3:26 PM

Thanks for the help. I do have quillow that folds up and into a pillow and then it zips up. Oh and it has a handle.

G

uess Ineed to figure out the direction.  Maybe in my next life I will have more time. ha ahahahaha