"Watching Over You" by Beverly Powell

I went to Asilomar in March 2008 and took Nancy Brown"s Wild Animal hand appliqué class. This wall hanging is result of that class. I loved the class and we had so much laughter. Upon returning home, I learned that one of my dear quilting friends (who loves giraffes) was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer. I sent the quilt to her knowing how much she loved giraffes. Several months later she returned the quilt to me when she decided to return to California to be with family while she battled cancer. She told me that "giraffe" wanted to go home and not to California.

So now giraffe is watching over me as I sleep each night.

Comments

gini wrote re: "Watching Over You" by Beverly Powell
on Sunday, 27 September 2009, 10:40 PM

nancy, what a nice story, i hope your friend recovers. and it is a beautiful quilt.  i hope your giraffe keeps you safe.  gini

Thea wrote re: "Watching Over You" by Beverly Powell
on Monday, 28 September 2009, 12:32 AM

Nancy - I hope your friend recovers and wins the battle - that is a very cute giraffe... he is watching over you now!  My prayers are with you and your friend.

God bless,

Thea

Kris wrote re: "Watching Over You" by Beverly Powell
on Monday, 28 September 2009, 1:10 AM

Great quilt Beverly. So sad about your friend.

Spudgrandma wrote re: "Watching Over You" by Beverly Powell
on Monday, 28 September 2009, 1:48 AM

Beverly, what a wonderful story and a wonderful quilt. Now you can think of your friend when you look at the quilt!

Barbara Bieraugel wrote re: "Watching Over You" by Beverly Powell
on Tuesday, 29 September 2009, 1:24 PM

What a pretty giraffe and may it inspire hope for all.  I too, believe in the power of the love and hope from the quilts and have made and designed quite a few quilts for this purpose.

Helen Bell wrote re: "Watching Over You" by Beverly Powell
on Tuesday, 29 September 2009, 2:23 PM

I love the way he is peeking out from the side of the quilt..

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Watching Over You" by Beverly Powell
on Tuesday, 29 September 2009, 6:06 PM

Beverly--

Lovely story and a sweet quilt.  I'm sure that every time you gaze at it, you'll think of your dear friend.  My prayers are with her.

Stephanie wrote re: "Watching Over You" by Beverly Powell
on Wednesday, 30 September 2009, 6:31 AM

Beverly, My prayers for your friend as well. Thanks for sharing your story and sentiment for this adorable wall hanging.

Marie wrote re: "Watching Over You" by Beverly Powell
on Saturday, 24 October 2009, 8:49 AM

Beverly, my prayers for your dear friend are with her.  And your generous gift to her shows the love and concern you have for her which seems to be a trait in the quilting community.  God Bless you.