"One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither

A friend and I just completed a class for the "One Block Wonder" (book by Maxine Rosenthal).  We both could not wait to get started.  I would not have ordinarily purchased this particular fabric, but it was recommended for the colors and movement of the background.   I've been quilting for about 3 years and this project ranks right at the top for FUN.  Each block is a surprise.  Then the real challenge begins with the placement to your preference.  I've not decided if the FLOWERS will remain on the border.  I'm letting them GROW there for a while before I plant (applique) them on.

Elizabeth (Betsy) Gaither
Bellville, TX

Comments

Shelia wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Sunday, 20 September 2009, 5:49 PM

Betsy I love the colors in your quilt!  Great job.  At first glance I thought the flowers in the border were in the quilt.  I think they look good there.

Glenrose wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Sunday, 20 September 2009, 6:03 PM

Betsy,

This quilt is outstanding, and I LOVE the flowers up in the corner!  I would love to see the fabric you used to create this masterpiece.  I'm inspired to make another One Block Wonder (would be my third).

Thanks for sharing!!

SANDEEP wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Sunday, 20 September 2009, 6:29 PM

Beautiful - there is nothing else to say!!!

MNnancy wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Sunday, 20 September 2009, 8:35 PM

Amazing!  You did a beautiful job, and I would certainly leave those flowers in the border.

connie b wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Sunday, 20 September 2009, 10:06 PM

stunning you did a beautiful job love the flowers in the corner

gini wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Sunday, 20 September 2009, 10:09 PM

betsy, your quilt is wonderful, is it possible to show a little of the fabric you used to make it?   gini

JudyPahs wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Sunday, 20 September 2009, 11:23 PM

beautiful! I love your color choice...it looks difficult, and I love the flowers in the corner, I think it is time to plant them...:)

jay-marie wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Monday, 21 September 2009, 5:50 AM

Fantastic the colors are great and the flowers add the finishing touch it looks really difficult but worth the effort as its really beautiful.

Janie wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Monday, 21 September 2009, 7:41 AM

Betsy,

Beautiful quilt. I like the colors and I also would keep the flowers in the border. Thanks for sharing.

Ruth hindbaugh wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Monday, 21 September 2009, 8:22 AM

Hi, I just made one to, and got it in the county fair. And hopeing to get at lest a white ribbon. I love making it.We had a quilt retreat we all made one .they all came out looking good. there was about 12 of use I wish I had picture of all of them. I'am new at all this hope to . To see more quilts you all make. I realy like your One Block Wonder, Betsy.      Ruth

Kris wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Monday, 21 September 2009, 9:56 AM

This is beautiful Betsy. I really like the colours. Nice work.

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Monday, 21 September 2009, 1:19 PM

Very pretty, Betsy!

Emma wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Monday, 21 September 2009, 4:01 PM

A very stunning quilt. I'm guessing your flowers on the border are from some of the fabrics used in the quilt. Also looks like you used some "stack and wack" techniques. This looks like a quilt that would be fun to try. I can imagine it was fun arranging the blocks also. You did a very nice job! Thanks for sharing.

Caryl Hennen wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Monday, 21 September 2009, 5:45 PM

Betsy,

I absolutely love the colors in your quilt!  Are the flowers from the original fabric?  I think they are a great addition to the border, and you should plant away!  I am in the middle of a One Block Wonder right now for my husband that is black, white, and grey tones...  It is making me a little blind!  He saw it in a quilt store that we were visiting, so I am learning the process!  It is a lot of fun!

Joni wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Tuesday, 22 September 2009, 8:59 AM

What a beauty.  I looked up the author, can you tell me which book it is...or rather which edition.  Perhaps I'm confusued, there seem to be several available.

BTW I love the flowers in the border, the perfect touch to a gorgeous quilt.  Is this a full size quilt?

sharm wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Tuesday, 22 September 2009, 11:57 AM

Wow! Just gorgeous:)

Joni wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Tuesday, 22 September 2009, 1:51 PM

Just ordered the book this am, no patience.  Can't hardly stand it until book comes.  What fabric did you use?  Would you mind telling me.  What is the size of the quilt?  Please, please tell!!!

Cynde wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Wednesday, 23 September 2009, 5:05 PM

Hi Betsy,  I love your quilt !!

I have seen this pattern  before but it was called Kaleidoscope.  I started one but not finished yet, this inspires me to get back to it.  I too would like to see the fabric you started with.  The contrasts are just lovely; these quilts are always a surprise, aren't they?  Please do show us the fabric   :)

Helen Bell wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Thursday, 24 September 2009, 11:10 AM

Betsy that is a wonderful quilt.  I tried that one once but I didn't like the fabric that I chose, but yours is brilliant.

Marge Campbell wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Friday, 25 September 2009, 9:20 PM

Very nice!

Thea wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Saturday, 26 September 2009, 3:34 AM

Betsy, Wow!  I have not heard of this design - but i would say it must have been fun - I think the flowers growing in the border need to be planted on the quilt - they look great there.

thank you for sharing your wonderful skills with us!

God bless,

Thea

wilma.rector wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Saturday, 26 September 2009, 7:44 PM

what is a one block wonder??? it is certainly beautiful whatever it means... I am fairly new to quilting styles so if it is easy to explain, can someone tell me what a one block wonder is???

Joni wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Sunday, 27 September 2009, 5:19 PM

Just received my book, soon as I complete my Great neice Gracie's Paper Doll Quilt I'm going to start one...well after I find the perfect fabric.  Will start basting Doll's tomorrow, then hopefully commence to quilting it.  She is so excited,  I promised she can help cut out the paper dolls, I feel that will make the quilt even more special to her.  She is 8 years old, loves to draw, paint, ding, dance and ride Princesca, hopefully I'll be seeing her next week when I visit for 3 days.

Your beautiful quilt has really inspired me!  Also I like to have 2 or three project going at a time, it helps when ole arthiritis takes hold.

Eileen wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Tuesday, 29 September 2009, 4:46 PM

Betsy,

This is just beautiful! I like the way you grouped the non-green blocks - makes it look like you're viewing roses or other flowering plants among greenery.  I've not made a one-block wonder, but have used the "stack n' whack" technique by Bethany Reynolds - very similar.  This will really beautify whatever space you choose to display it.

Mercedes wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Wednesday, 30 September 2009, 7:43 AM

Gorgeous!  I would like to see the original fabric since I too am learning this technique, but do not seem to have a good eye for selecting appropriate fabrics.

Cindy wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Saturday, 3 October 2009, 1:20 PM

Love this method ur so right its just fun fun fun . I f u have any of the fabric left over would love to see wht the print was to start with.

mugups@comcast.net wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Monday, 5 October 2009, 4:47 PM

beautiful, it looks so confusing to make, I would love to see the original fabric to inspire me. Jane

betsy.penzone wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Saturday, 10 October 2009, 11:41 AM

Betsy,

Wow! Your quilt looks great.  I love the flowers in the corner and the way you did the inner border.  I'm working on one of these at the moment and they sure are fun.  You have inspired me to finish!

Thanks...Betsy

Patricia wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Friday, 16 October 2009, 8:59 AM

Remember I am fairly new to quilting so I wonder what a "one block wonder" is? I do like Betsy's and I to think the flowers should be planted for they add a bit of definition to the design. I have not seen these at my two quilt stores but I think I would like to know a lot more about them.

Patricia

andrea wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Tuesday, 20 October 2009, 1:11 PM

Gorgeous is the word.  I love this project.  The flowers on the top side enhance the beauty of your wonderful quilt.  I have to gather more courage to do it because it looks very complicated.  Great job.

andrea

Spudgrandma wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Tuesday, 20 October 2009, 1:56 PM

Very pretty,  I love the colors.

Faye wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Saturday, 28 November 2009, 11:41 AM

DITTO what everybody else said. It is just beautiful.  Love the flowers in the corner

andrea wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Thursday, 11 February 2010, 12:16 PM

Betsy,  I love your gorgeous "one block wonder" quilt.  I have been wanting to make one but it looks overwhelming.  I have all the materials.  Perhaps I need a little push and more guts.  The flowers  on the corner of the quilt give the whole piece pizazz.  Thanks for sharing.

Pat wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Thursday, 11 February 2010, 12:31 PM

Beautiful quilt.  Love the colors and your placements.

Was it very difficult to make?

Thanks

Pat

Sarah wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Friday, 12 February 2010, 2:07 AM

Love it!  What is the difference between One Block Wonder and Stack and Wack?

Pat wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Wednesday, 17 February 2010, 8:35 AM

Beautiful quilt.  What is the name of the book where you found this patten.

Pat

Sherril wrote re: "One Block Wonder" by Betsy Gaither
on Friday, 16 April 2010, 2:36 PM

I've seen Maxine's theory on the one fabric technique but have never tried it.  What a great job you did and I love the way the colors turned out.  You've got such a great eye.....keep the flowers in the corner.  They really add an extra focal point.....not that you NEED one!!  Happy Stitching!!!!