"NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague

I found this pattern on the internet and thought it was a good was to us up some scraps.  As you can see it turned out to be a bigger thing that I intended.  Hope some more quilters to the same thing.

This is the article they wrote about me:

Woman donates quilts to NICU

By Cindy Morgan

CARBONDALE - Staff in the obstetrics department of Memorial Hospital of Carbondale got a delivery of a different sort this past week - when Janet Sprague dropped by with an armload of baby quilts.

Sprague, of Carterville, an avid quilter, is always looking for ways to make use of left over material. "I found a site on the internet that had a pattern for making baby quilts," said Sprague, "so I decided to make some and see if the hospital could use them."

She carefully stitched the pastel colors of pink, blue, yellow and green into soft, 20x20 inch quilts, a perfect fit for baby cribs in the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit).

"Jennifer Gilpin, NICU manager, was all smiles as she accepted the quilts on behalf of the unit. "These are perfect," said Gilpin.

It took Sprague three or four days to make the quilts. "One side is cotton and the other is flannel," she said. She signed and dated each quilt before she brought them to the hospital.

Gilpin said it is often hard for parents who have babies in the NICU. "This gives the nursery a more 'at home' feeling," she said.

Cindy Frenkel, director of obstetrics at the hospital said they are always happy to receive such gifts, "Sometimes we see mothers come in and they don't even have a blanket to take the baby home in," said Frenkel. "We truly appreciate the donation."

Blanket and quilt donations are also used in the pediatrics ward.

Sprague was a little modest in making her donation. "I didn't expect all the publicity," she said. "But - it might give other quilters ideas for what to do with their quilt scraps."

Retired from American Magnetics, where she worked as plant manager, Sprague likes to spend much of  her free time quilting. "I hope more quilters and people who sew make some for the hospital. I have some Christmas pieces and I think I will try to make a few for the holidays," she said.

CAPTION: NICU manager Jennifer Gilpin smiles as she accepts quilts from Janet Sprague.

Comments

Kris wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Monday, 21 September 2009, 9:59 AM

Good job Janet. I think it's great you did this. Thanks for sharing the quilts and the news article.

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Monday, 21 September 2009, 1:15 PM

Janet--

Your gifts to the NICU are so cute.  Thanks for the inspiration.

Emma wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Monday, 21 September 2009, 4:06 PM

These are truly gifts to the community from the heart. God bless you!

Marge Campbell wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Friday, 25 September 2009, 9:18 PM

Kudos Janet!

Thea wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Saturday, 26 September 2009, 3:38 AM

Janet - awesome - I am glad that they wrote such a nice article about you - you definetely deserve it.  Thank you for sharing it with us!

God bless,

Thea

Anita wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Tuesday, 29 September 2009, 8:35 PM

Janet - awesome -

I am glad that they wrote such a nice article about you -

you definetely deserve it.

ORANGEVILLE54@YAHOO.COM wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Wednesday, 30 September 2009, 11:41 AM

Beautiful Janet : )  Your gift will be a blessing to the babies and their families.

Spudgrandma wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Wednesday, 30 September 2009, 11:52 AM

Not sure how I missed this, two of my grandbabies are NICU graduates.

Your quilts are so cute and I know, first hand, how much they are appreciated. Thank you so much for your gift of love!

lpsweet@sbcglobal.net wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Wednesday, 30 September 2009, 3:12 PM

A beautiful idea!  Such a good way to use all the scraps we have.   Sweet Grandma from Michigan

Helen Bell wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Wednesday, 30 September 2009, 3:42 PM

very sweet of you ... nice that your gift was appreciated

cheycoy@sbcglobal.net wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Wednesday, 30 September 2009, 6:25 PM

I had twin boys in the NICU at Yale ( New Haven, CT ) some 35 years ago - it would have been so appreciated.  Now that I am retired, I hope to donate some myself to warm up such a scarey place.

BETTYM-5 wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Thursday, 1 October 2009, 12:12 PM

These baby quilts were very nice and such a wonderful thing to do and I hope to do some quilts and be able to donate them for the same thing as I have lots of scraps to work with . thanks again for the idea to use my scraps.

Linda wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Thursday, 1 October 2009, 3:18 PM

What a wonderful idea.  Now I know what to do with the scraps I have.

Jane Schweitzer wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Thursday, 1 October 2009, 7:52 PM

I am a gramma of twin girls that were born at St Mary's Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.  They were in the NICU for 5 weeks and are now 18 mo. old and are wonderful.  The quilts and blankets donated were greatly appreciated by all in the unit.  That is a wonderful gesture of love to make and donate.  I am in the proccess of of making some and will donate them.

djdanc2 wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Friday, 2 October 2009, 1:06 PM

Thanks for all the kind words.  We quilters have to stick together.  God made quilters for more than one purpose and one of them is to help the community.

nargis wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Friday, 2 October 2009, 2:37 PM

Great idea!  Such a good way to use all the sraps for a good cause.   God bless you.

judyyoungs wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Friday, 2 October 2009, 11:52 PM

Wonderful idea. Can you tell us where the pattern came from. I would like to do this for our hospital here as we are in a small community, and I'm sure they would be very much appreciated.

surberv@yahoo.com wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Saturday, 3 October 2009, 12:56 PM

Great idea, I make quilts for cancer, and also alzheimers patents in nursing homes. Quilters are

needed everywhere!! Keep on quilting!! God Bless you All

djdanc2 wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Saturday, 3 October 2009, 4:06 PM

On the internet I just typed in free preemie quilt patterns and chose the ones that worked with the scrapes that I had.  Now I have more scrapes, because people are giving me material.

Marie wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Thursday, 8 October 2009, 8:18 PM

What a wonderful thing you have started here Janet!  My twelve year old granddaughter spent some time in a NICU.  Thank God for people like you and all the other giving, sharing quilters.  I'm going to find a pattern like you did and organize my scraps so that I can make some for that NICU my granddaughter was in.  God Bless you!

Carole Ann wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Saturday, 10 October 2009, 10:11 AM

Great idea Janet.  I have done some baby quilts for donating, and now I have another pattern like yours to use fabric that I buy when on sale with babykins look.  Thanks again and keep up inspiring all quilters.

jehigdon65@bellsouth.net wrote re: "NICU Baby Quilts" by Janet Sprague
on Tuesday, 13 October 2009, 4:35 AM

What a great idea!  I look forward to going through my scraps (which could stand thinning out - I can't throw anything away!)  I  know your quilts are very much appreciated!