"Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas

I wanted to show the quilt I made using a baby quilt pattern in one of the easy quilt magazines, I think maybe spring/summer 2008. It was pink and had large simply done flowers. I adapted it to my biggest baby-- my dear husband.  He loves his Wildlife quilt and had threaten our kids with severe consequences if they touch his blankie.  HA HA!

Comments

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Thursday, 3 September 2009, 6:22 PM

Judy,

You did a great job on your husband's blankie :).  The colors and good and just all around good guy quilt.  Thanks for sharing.

Anita wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Friday, 4 September 2009, 12:29 AM

Kathy your quilt is just gorges.

I'm a sucker for wild life quilts. Where did you get the pattern from?

Anita wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Friday, 4 September 2009, 12:37 AM

Judy sorry, I think I called you Kathy, or maybe not

All I could see was your quilt , the heck with your name HA,ha

Did you use wild life fabric or did you transfer the pictures to fabric?

How did you finish the quilt? How did you do the Borders.

Many questions but it is just breath taking.

Great Job

Thea wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Friday, 4 September 2009, 3:28 AM

Judy - aren't our husbands just great  - we have an empty house  - empty of children but my biggest child is still here with me - your quilt is great - I am glad that your DH has a blankie and loves it enough to thank you for it by not letting anyone else near it.  It is a very beautiful quilt and I applaud your talent.  Thank you for sharing your quilt with us.

God bless,

Thea

Stephanie wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Friday, 4 September 2009, 5:37 AM

Beautiful quilt Judy, and I'm with Thea about how neat it is that your husband loves his "blankie" and wants to treasure it for himself. Mine would probably use his to cover furniture he had to haul back to a job. Maybe, maybe not. Did you have to fussy cut the animals to have them against the cream background or was the print that way?

Helen Bell wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Friday, 4 September 2009, 6:35 AM

great idea for a quilt...very manly for your big boy

gini wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Friday, 4 September 2009, 11:46 AM

nice quilt judy, i bet your big boy loves it.     one time i made a colorwash quilt ands my husband said how much he loved it.  so i said  it could be his.    he was so touched.   with all the quilts i had made and all the quilts in the house he never considered any of them just his.    every fall he asks when we are getting out "his" quilt to put on the bed    gini

chocake2 wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Friday, 4 September 2009, 12:15 PM

WOW! That's beautiful. I love your border, and the quilting is beautifully done. Did you machine embroider the critters?

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Friday, 4 September 2009, 9:48 PM

I have this magazine... You would hardly recognize the pattern with the way you did it... love it.

Anita wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Saturday, 5 September 2009, 1:19 AM

Margie which magazine?

Anita

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Saturday, 5 September 2009, 12:55 PM

Judy--

What a great quilt.  I'm curious, too, about the animals--fussy cut?, printed on printable fabric?  How did you do them?

Kris wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Saturday, 5 September 2009, 2:25 PM

Beautiful quilt. Isn't it nice when someone treasures the quilt you make for them?

Judy Iliff wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Saturday, 5 September 2009, 11:52 PM

What a great quilt, Judy! It reminded me of a blanket I made for my dad where all the squares had a cross-stitched animal in them.

shaleba27 wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Monday, 7 September 2009, 10:10 AM

Great quilt, Judy!  The designs you used look terrific!  If I'm not mistaken they are machine embroidered from a licensed collection by the Hautman Brothers - available from Dakota Collectibles.

I can see why your husband wouldn't want to share!

JudyT wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Tuesday, 8 September 2009, 7:53 AM

Yes the quilt blocks are machine embroidered with the Hautman Bros designs, plus one additional deer head pattern from Oklahoma Embroidery.  Hautman Bros did a beautiful job. The rest of the quilt was just free handed borders, with "man-ly" fabrics, I wanted to try a technique I saw on an a Nancy show with applique. The show layered both fabrics together and cut out freehand and then matched the cut edges, so there is no pattern. The main quilt pattern is a baby quilt shown in the easy quilt mag.

bettystan@hughes.net wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Friday, 11 September 2009, 2:49 PM

How nice to have all our animal friends close.  One can quietly dream with great protection.  No animal would dare invade your bed.  Just beautiful. It is so nice to see what can be done with our expensive embroidery machines.  Good work.

Linda wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Saturday, 12 September 2009, 8:50 AM

Judy, this is beautiful.  Thanks for sharing

jay-marie wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Tuesday, 15 September 2009, 1:28 PM

Judy this is a beautiful quilt  it must have taken ages to make but is truly a work of art.

Sissy wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Tuesday, 15 September 2009, 1:53 PM

Great quilt.  Now my husband wants one!

Ginger Minske wrote re: "Wildlife Quilt" by Judy Thomas
on Friday, 13 November 2009, 8:22 PM

Your quilt is just beautiful.  We live in Northern MN and the wildlife is so popular in our quilts.  I am just starting to use this website and I know it is going to be fun to enjoy everyone's work and get great ideas from everyone.

Ginny