"Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon

This is a baby quilt I made for my great-niece, Olivia.  It is machine pieced, machine appliqued, machine embroidered (her name), and machine quilted.  I got the Pooh character designs from a Decoupage book from Hot Off the Press, Inc. that I purchased several years ago.  The quilt was a "design-as-you-go" project.  I had no idea when I started it how I wanted it to look when it was finished.  Other than the fabric for the Pooh characters, I tried to use fabric from my stash.  I did have to purchase more for the backing, though.   Olivia was born in February 2008, and the quilt wasn't completed until August of 2008.  My parents presented her with the quilt a short time after that.  I haven't had the privilege of meeting Oliva yet, but I hope she will enjoy her quilt for many years to come.

Comments

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Wednesday, 26 August 2009, 12:14 PM

Sharon--

Olivia's quilt is adorable and you did an excellent job with it.  Love the colors, too!

Kris wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Wednesday, 26 August 2009, 12:43 PM

This is really cute Sharon. Nice work.

Julie Lynne Greene wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Wednesday, 26 August 2009, 1:34 PM

It's beautiful!  She will love it.  The colors are great.

gypsyquilter68 wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Wednesday, 26 August 2009, 2:01 PM

Sharon - this quilt is absolutely adorable.   She's a lucky little girl.

shaleba27 wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Wednesday, 26 August 2009, 5:34 PM

Thank you for all the nice comments about Olivia's quilt.  It was fun to make.

Pam Schue wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Wednesday, 26 August 2009, 6:35 PM

Your color choice is beautiful     It could be for a boy or girl.  Did you hand aplique her name?

Kim wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Wednesday, 26 August 2009, 7:44 PM

Wow - you did an awesome job - it's beautiful!!

ddking wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Wednesday, 26 August 2009, 8:45 PM

My first grandchild, now 13, was absolutely crazy about Pooh when he was 2.  I wish the fabric had been available then.

Your quilt is charming and a true keepsake.  You should e very proud of the quilt.

Take care.

shaleba27 wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Wednesday, 26 August 2009, 9:44 PM

Pam,  Thank you.  Her name is machine embroidered.  I used a font called "Drifter" from my embroidery software program.

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Thursday, 27 August 2009, 10:14 AM

Sharon,

The quilt is lovely.  The colors make it bright and cheerful.  You did a great job.  Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Thursday, 27 August 2009, 2:31 PM

That is a really cute quilt.  I like the green and blue together.  Good job!

Happy wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Thursday, 27 August 2009, 2:55 PM

That is so cute I love the colors you picked

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Thursday, 27 August 2009, 10:10 PM

I love this quilt!!!  Very nicely done!

Tawnya wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Friday, 28 August 2009, 11:44 AM

I love this Pooh quilt.  I havne't seen one that's done in such brite and vibrant colors before and I love it!!  Pooh really pops Aunt Sharon.  Great job!!

shaleba27 wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Friday, 28 August 2009, 2:19 PM

Thank you so much, everybody, for all your kind comments!

I was just reading over my description of Olivia's quilt, and I don't think I described the technique very well.  All of the appliquéd characters' parts were first cut out of small pieces of solid-color fabric and fused together to make the character, then fused onto the background fabric and satin stitched along the fabric edges with black thread.  The smaller facial features and Tigger’s stripes are also done on the sewing machine.

P.S.  I discovered a neat trick to view the Show & Tell pictures close-up.  First, single click on the picture.  When it opens up in the next screen, single click it again to zoom in.  Use your arrow keys or the scroll bars along the edges of the screen to see the parts of the quilt you want to view.  (Everyone else probably already knew how to do that, but I just discovered it last night.)  LOL

Sandy H. wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Saturday, 29 August 2009, 7:31 PM

What an adorable quilt and the colors are perfect.  Great job.

Spudgrandma wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Saturday, 29 August 2009, 7:42 PM

How adorable, love the colors!

Thea wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Saturday, 29 August 2009, 7:51 PM

Sharon that is so cute.  I have loved Pooh since I was a child... My niece collects all things Pooh so I hope she doesnt' see this... very very nice!

God bless,

Althea

Anita wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Monday, 7 September 2009, 6:11 PM

Olivia's quilt is adorable and you did an excellent job with it.

Love the colors, too!

Edith wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Monday, 7 September 2009, 7:26 PM

I LUV this POOH Quilt

I have a grandaughter that loves eeoorh sp

I shall be looking for that book.

You did an awesome job.

Louise Lovett wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Saturday, 12 September 2009, 8:44 PM

I really like the Pooh Quilt.  I hope to make a similar quilt for a friend.

You did an excellent job making this quilt, keep up the good work.

quiltnh@comcast.net wrote re: "Olivia's Pooh Quilt" by Sharon
on Sunday, 20 September 2009, 3:32 PM

This quilt is adorable.  Are there any restriction to using the Licensed Disney characters that you used?  I was thinking of doing something similar with the princesses but someone told me you can't do it unless you get permission from Disney.  I do know it is a problem to use them if you were going to sell the quilt but wasn't sure how that applied to a quilt you give away or make for you own use.  If it is OK then I might have to put the princess quilt back on my to-do list.