"Jack's Body Beautiful" from Jackie Masson

I have attached a photo of one of four quillows I made for my great niece and nephews. Jack, 5 at the time, was driving everyone crazy with questions about the human body so I made him a 'body'.   It combines appliqué for the skeleton  and machine embroidery for the bones down the sides.

When folded as a pillow, the embroidery design of a red-backed spider is there to freak-out his grandma.

Comments

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Jack's Body Beautiful" from Jackie Masson
on Monday, 24 August 2009, 8:20 AM

Jackie,

What a creative mind you have!  How you ever thought of such an idea is beyond me.  You did a great job on the quillow.  Thanks for sharing.

Thea wrote re: "Jack's Body Beautiful" from Jackie Masson
on Monday, 24 August 2009, 3:20 PM

Jackie, That is awesome.  I used to make tons of quillows a few years back but haven't made one in a while - I do have one that is a UFO that I have been thinking of finishing up and sending to my Mom for Christmas.  I separated the quillow into sections and embroidered each section with flowers and gardening ideas... I just need to do the pillow area and put the binding on it -

I really like how you did yours - that is cute... I do applaud you and sending you some virtual quilter's chocolate...

God bless,

Althea

Kris wrote re: "Jack's Body Beautiful" from Jackie Masson
on Monday, 24 August 2009, 9:20 PM

This is a wonderful quillow. Well done Jackie. I like everything about this.

shaleba27 wrote re: "Jack's Body Beautiful" from Jackie Masson
on Wednesday, 26 August 2009, 10:11 PM

You did a wonderful job on this quillow.  What method of applique did you use on the skeleton?  Thanks for sharing your creativity.

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Jack's Body Beautiful" from Jackie Masson
on Friday, 28 August 2009, 1:08 AM

Very different!

Sandy H. wrote re: "Jack's Body Beautiful" from Jackie Masson
on Saturday, 29 August 2009, 7:33 PM

Wow!  How creative are you!  Love it.

Spudgrandma wrote re: "Jack's Body Beautiful" from Jackie Masson
on Saturday, 29 August 2009, 7:43 PM

I agree, very creative and well done.

Annette wrote re: "Jack's Body Beautiful" from Jackie Masson
on Monday, 31 August 2009, 8:26 AM

What little kid wouldn't like this quillow. Great idea to help them learn. Annette

skunkworks@hunterlink.net.au wrote re: "Jack's Body Beautiful" from Jackie Masson
on Monday, 31 August 2009, 9:30 PM

Shaleba27 asked what method of applique I used for Jack's body Beautiful.

Following recommendations from my quilting / sewing store staff -

I traced the design for the pink body outline onto vliesofix in one piece and cut it out roughly. Using the spare vliesofix from around the outside, I traced the skeleton in sections, remembering to add go-under tabs at the joins.

Then I dry-ironed the cut-out vliesofix to the wrong side of my pink, white and beige cotton fabrics. I cut out the sections on the lines.

I placed the pink fabric right-side up on the black fabric and gently pressed it into place - dry iron. I placed all the bones on top using the design as a guide. Once I was happy with their placement, I gently pressed them into place.

At this point I changed to a steam setting on my iron and pressed harder. As a final step, I used a damp ironing cloth and lots and lots of steam to permanently fix the appliqu├ęs to the backing fabric - I ironed the pressing cloth dry.

As this is a child's quilt, I also used a standard zig-zag stitch to go around the edges.

Pressing - place the iron on the fabric and hold it in one place - do not slide it around. Lift and replace

Ironing - placing the iron on the fabric and moving it around - like ironing a shirt.

Hope this explanation is OK.

Jackie Masson

Pam Baker wrote re: "Jack's Body Beautiful" from Jackie Masson
on Tuesday, 1 September 2009, 5:08 AM

Hi Jacki, Wow you have done a fantastic job on this quillow!  Thank you for introducing me to this wonderful site, it is wonderful to see the work you and quilters from around the world are producing, cheers Pam

gini wrote re: "Jack's Body Beautiful" from Jackie Masson
on Tuesday, 1 September 2009, 10:57 AM

what a great quilt for a little boy.   our grandson was fascinated by how everything in our body works when he was 5. too.    gini

Diane S. wrote re: "Jack's Body Beautiful" from Jackie Masson
on Saturday, 2 January 2010, 3:41 PM

great job-it's stunning     What is vliesofix?