"California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes

I started with a 4 foot map of California. Drew the design on Butcher Paper and then Paper pieced the map.  I Appliqued 'California' to the green background fabric. Then embroidered the State Name and year admitted to the Union  State Flower, Bird, Flag, Mountains, Orange Trees, Grape Vines, Palm Trees and Sail Boats onto the Background.

The Center Panel was bordered by California Poppy print fabric. and final green borders were added to make this a King size quilt. It was raffled off at a meeting of "Sons of the Goldenwest". It raised $500 for the organization. Someday I'll make another one for me, I'm a Native Californian.

Comments

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes
on Monday, 24 August 2009, 8:18 AM

Mitzie,

That is a very interesting quilt.  I can tell that it was a lot of work.  You did a great job.  Thanks for sharing.

Thea wrote re: "California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes
on Monday, 24 August 2009, 3:22 PM

Mitzie, Awesome idea... yep I think you need to make another one for yourself.  I love the idea and hope you won't mind if I steal a little of it - I am thinking of making one with the map of NY and then smaller maps of all the places I have lived and finishing up with Oklahoma where I live now!

I really like your idea and applaud you - you also are getting some virtual quilter's chocolate sent to you - don't eat it all at one sitting though!

God bless,

Althea

Linda Lou wrote re: "California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes
on Monday, 24 August 2009, 3:32 PM

Mitzie,

Congratulations on such a beautiful quilt.  I can just imagine the difficulty level!!! You do need to make one for yourself.  We Texan's LOVE to proudly boast about Texas, no reason why you can't do the same for California.

bwy, we lived in Apple Valley, for 4 years.  I loved the high dessert.

Linda Lou

Kris wrote re: "California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes
on Monday, 24 August 2009, 9:21 PM

Mitzie, you did a fantastic job on this quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Patti wrote re: "California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes
on Tuesday, 25 August 2009, 11:59 AM

amazing.  A map quilt.  I never would have thought of it.  Your work is inspirational.

CJ Hines wrote re: "California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes
on Tuesday, 25 August 2009, 6:04 PM

That quilt is incredible! You did a great job of taking it from idea to actual quilt. I can't imagine the thought processes you went through--I look forward to seeing your next creation!

CJ Hines wrote re: "California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes
on Tuesday, 25 August 2009, 6:04 PM

Marge Campbell wrote re: "California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes
on Friday, 28 August 2009, 1:10 AM

Being from California (born and raised)...this is a fantastic quilt!  You put a ton of detail into this project.  I love it!

Sandy H. wrote re: "California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes
on Saturday, 29 August 2009, 7:36 PM

Mitzie, what a great quilt.  So much work and you did it as a fundraiser!  What a fantastic thing to do.

Spudgrandma wrote re: "California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes
on Saturday, 29 August 2009, 7:45 PM

Beautiful job and lots of work.

Anita wrote re: "California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes
on Saturday, 5 September 2009, 1:24 AM

Mitzie, what a great quilt

Anita

gini wrote re: "California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes
on Saturday, 5 September 2009, 1:43 AM

that is a thought provoking quilt.   hmm, it would be cool to do my state as a wall hanging.  i loved making maps in grade school.   nice work.   gini.

Judy Iliff wrote re: "California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes
on Saturday, 5 September 2009, 11:56 PM

Very nice, Mitzie! It must have made you feel good when it raised $500!

Roberta wrote re: "California Quilt" from Mitzie Kimes
on Sunday, 15 November 2009, 6:10 PM

That is a super quilt. I was born, raised and completed college in CA. In fact I'm a 5th generation Californian dating back to the 1850's, so I understand your pride of the state.