"Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington

I pieced this quilt for my first daughter-in-law, who is madly in love with quilts. I wasn't sure how this quilt would turn out with all the dark fabrics, but with a cream background I was very pleased with the over-all softness. My daughter-in-law loves burgundy/wine colors, so I used them only as the accent color...everyone was pleased with the end result. I'm not big on applique and wouldn't have chosen this pattern myself, but this quilt was the project at one of our quilt group's annual retreats. I'm so glad we made it, as it was a lot of fun and is probably one of the favorite quilts I've made. I've been sewing since I was 6 years old, but didn't join the local quilt group until about 5 years ago. I decided to join the group when they gave a demonstration on free-motion quilting (and I've been practicing/learning ever since.) A quilt group is the best place to learn new techniques, time saving tips and get inspiration!

Comments

gini wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Thursday, 6 August 2009, 10:28 AM

emma, your quilt is stunning, great use of browns and creams.   gini

Kris wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Thursday, 6 August 2009, 10:48 AM

This is absolutely gorgeous. I really like your choice of colours. Nice work.

ceecee wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Thursday, 6 August 2009, 11:15 AM

I really love this quilt. . .especially the way the dark burgundy give it "pop" that color really accents the softer colors beautifully!

Spudgrandma wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Thursday, 6 August 2009, 11:56 AM

This is beautiful, I love the soft colors with the red accent.  Gorgeous!!!

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Thursday, 6 August 2009, 12:00 PM

Emma--

Your quilt is simply stunning!  The colors are a perfect balance and I really, really like the border treatment.

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Thursday, 6 August 2009, 1:56 PM

Emma,

That is a beautiful quilt.  You did a great job.  The colors and the pattern are perfect.  Thanks for sharing.

Pam Schue wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Thursday, 6 August 2009, 8:35 PM

How nice!  What a special giift for your DIL...lucky her

Pat wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Friday, 7 August 2009, 12:24 PM

What a beautiful quilt.  Love the colors and the border sets it off just right. Was it difficult to do the applique.  I have not tried to accomplish that yet.

Pat

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Friday, 7 August 2009, 12:30 PM

Very pretty!

Thea wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Friday, 7 August 2009, 12:36 PM

Emma, Your quilt is beautiful and your DIL is a lucky woman.  I joined our guild here for the same reasons but was sadly disappointed - my 2nd guild is very much into teaching and passing on techniques and we have a stitch and assist at every meeting - the women there are glad to try and help - the 1st guild is more clicky and everyone seems to want to one up everyone else and not share - it could be me but that is the way I have always seen it... I love to help and if I find a technique that makes things easier I share it...lol

running at the mouth here when i wanted to tell you great quilt!

Great quilt!

God bless,

Althea

marilyn wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Friday, 7 August 2009, 4:27 PM

The picture of the quilt did not show up for me.

napka wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Saturday, 8 August 2009, 12:16 PM

I'm a new member and if this quilt is an example of the caliber of quilting I'll be seeing I've done myself a great service.

This is a beautiful quilt and a stunning gift..........thanks for sharing!

brenda.bartlett wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Tuesday, 11 August 2009, 7:37 PM

Absolutely stunning.  I love the colors.

Stephanie wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Tuesday, 11 August 2009, 7:51 PM

Wow, your quilt is stunning. Beautiful use of fabric choices and color.

Linda Lou wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Wednesday, 12 August 2009, 8:55 PM

Emma,

Your DIL should be very proud that you have given her this quilt.  It is absolutely gorgeous.  I too love the use of the red's to accent the browns.  I have a quilt started for my son and daughter-in-law using browns, golds, beige and a hint of green.  Those are her colors.  I have been trying to get her to go shopping with me for almost a year.  Finally, about a month ago we went and she picked out the colors.  She had already selected the pattern.  So, I am in the middle of cutting and piecing.

Anyway, I am running off at the mouth as well.

Congratulations.  It is a beautiful quilt.  Thanks so much for sharing.

Linda Lou

Barbara wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Sunday, 16 August 2009, 12:45 PM

Very nice quilt.  I like the way you did your border.  An your quilting is just great.  Wish I could master that.

Laura Hamilton wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Thursday, 3 September 2009, 12:38 AM

I love the simplicity of this quilt, the graceful lines and the tonal comparisons.  Really grabs me!

Renee Pasich wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Thursday, 10 September 2009, 2:19 PM

I completely love this. The pattern, the colors, the workmanship all exactly what I would choose. I think I have this pattern, but where? Is it from a magazine, a purchased pattern, online? Please help. This would look great on the back of my couch (personalized with my colors, of course!) Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your beauty. You must have the kind of relationship with your daughter-in-law that I have with my soon to be son-in-law. I call him the son of my heart. Maybe I'll make him a quilt!

Emma wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Friday, 11 September 2009, 12:30 PM

Renee,

This was a purchased pattern called "BLOOMS FOR ANNABELLE" and designed by Vicki Bellino. I simply renamed it using my DIL's name. It is especially designed to used with charm packs. I also made mine larger than the original pattern size. Good luck finding the pattern (hopefully you have it already).

Emma

Wendy Gordon wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Saturday, 15 May 2010, 7:32 PM

I really love this quilt too, especially the colour choices.

quilter faye wrote re: "Blooms for 'Manda" from Emma in Washington
on Wednesday, 19 May 2010, 7:50 PM

Hi Emma, I love the quilt and your colours. I bought the pattern and plan to make the quilt as a wedding gift. The brThankside has asked for the browns and cream cokours. Did you use charm pack or a jelly roll. Please help