"Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel

Black Mare the mother of the sorrel gelding (tator).  Center Strawberry Roam filly, My Husband's Mount.  Palomino Mare Mother of the second sorrel gelding. I have rode all 5 horses many miles. The Black Mare and Palomino Mare are gone now, and the quilt was made with memories for myself and my family.  The Horses are 16 inch paper piecing blocks, and the pillow shams are also paper piecing 5 stars pattern.

Comments

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Friday, 17 July 2009, 8:42 AM

Laura,

I love, love, love your quilt.  A great way to remember your beloved horses.  The quilt looks really nice on the bed with the pillow shams.  Thanks for sharing.

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Friday, 17 July 2009, 8:52 AM

Laura, your quilt is wonderful!  What a nice memory quilt this makes!

Marge

Spudgrandma wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Friday, 17 July 2009, 9:55 AM

Very nice, what a nice way to remember.

T Lynn - SW Idaho

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Friday, 17 July 2009, 11:13 AM

Laurel--

Great quilt!  My daughter would have absolutely loved to have it when she was in her horse-crazy days as a pre-teener.  Our garage is still storing her horse model collection and boxes of books and she hasn't been a teenager in 30 yrs.

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Friday, 17 July 2009, 11:14 AM

Oops, sorry, my fingers meant to type Laura

Kris wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Friday, 17 July 2009, 7:45 PM

Very cool. Great idea. Love the pillow shams too.

Sissy wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Saturday, 18 July 2009, 8:57 AM

What a great quilt.  My whole family would love a quilt like that.  We all had horses growing up and two of my sisters still do.  Good Job!!

Helen Bell wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Saturday, 18 July 2009, 2:18 PM

where did you get the great paper pieced pattern?? my daughter rides and she is always getting me to make horse quilts...of course they have to be coloured like her horses..sorel gelding is one of ours and a bay is the other one...my daughter is the expert...I got to know about horses through her

Sandy H. wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Saturday, 18 July 2009, 3:44 PM

Laura, I love your quilt.  Where did you get the patterns?  I really like the pillow shams -- the pattern would go great with a quilt I'm working on.  BTW, if I send you a pic of my horse, will you make one for me?  lol

laura wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Saturday, 18 July 2009, 7:37 PM

Helen Bell, and Sandy Hicks:  The Horse Pattern is from paperpanache.com      Called Horse/Unicorn.  The pillow Sham is from  www.quilterscache.com ,        Marcia Hohn, is the designer.  Called A Triple Star Her patterns are free, this is a great web site, and I have made the  A triple star a lot. Makes great place mats.  It is my favorite star pattern.   Sandy check out a new blog, of mine for a picture of meggie, (The Boss) and Meggie the pillow.

Laura

laura wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Saturday, 18 July 2009, 7:42 PM

Sandy:  I have made pillow Palomino for my Daughter of her horse.  Made myself a pillow Sorrel of my Tator horse.  Made pillow sorrel for my small Grandaughter, and it went to school for show and tell, lol. Makes a great large pillow with adding a nice border.

gini wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Saturday, 18 July 2009, 11:37 PM

oh laura, what a wonderful quilt.  is it the one you sleep under?   gini

joyce wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Sunday, 19 July 2009, 7:40 PM

Laura,

What a beautiful quilt. My niece and her children have 3 miniture ponies. They would love the quilt. I especially love the pillow shams.

sandra.kramer@sbcglobal.net wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Tuesday, 21 July 2009, 5:05 PM

Thank you for the information on the Horse pattern. My granddaughter and grandson ride horses and have their own. They both won 1st and 2nd place in many competitions. I wanted to make them both quilts and with you information I will beable to do that.

Your quilts are great and inspiring.

laura wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Wednesday, 22 July 2009, 1:08 PM

Sandra:  You WARM MY heart, I love my horses, my family love my ideas, butttttttttt, coming from another quilter who likes my work is awesome.  My Horse ( When a 2 year old, won 2nd and 3rd place at a horse show after only being in training for 30 days.  His ribbons hang in our Horse Living quarters trailor.  His mother was the old black mare.  I only ride him, spoil him, and have never put him back in competition since.  Laura

Thea wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Thursday, 23 July 2009, 9:55 AM

this is a great quilt - I have a niece in Houston TX that collects all things having to do with horses - she doesn't own a horse yet but I can see it in her future - she would love something like this...

Hope she doesn't see your quilt or that will be on the to do list...lol

Great Job - thank you for sharing.

juanita.montgomery wrote re: "Horse Memories" from Laura Driesel
on Thursday, 23 July 2009, 10:31 PM

I love horses, don't have any now, Laura, I love your quilt.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Juanita