"Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell

Size of quilt: 100 x 108" (aprox)
Panto: Chantilly Lace
Quilting Thread: Jeans backing 40 wt cotton, burnt orange color; Top, clear monofiliment.

This quilt was a special request by a lady who lost her husband.  It's for her daughter.  The mother & daughter spent over two hours pointing out sections of shirts, pants, a cap, etc., that they wanted in this quilt.  The dad was a custom car restorer, so every paint spatter, welding hole, etc. had meaning to these ladies.

Considering what was requested, I think it came out really nice.  I had to put the jeans backing as the top of the quilt on my Lizzie (Tin Lizzie 18LS) due to all the buttons, snaps, etc., but overall it quilted up nicely, with only one or two places where I had to make adjustments to avoid the hazzards.

Comments

Linda Lou wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Wednesday, 8 July 2009, 10:27 AM

Way to go girl!!  What a wonderful visual tribute to Dad.  It is a beautiful quilt and I am sure they love this very special heirloom.  You did an amazing job of putting all the different blocks together to make an appealing visual design.

Kathy Patterson wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Wednesday, 8 July 2009, 11:21 AM

Marge,

What a great quilt.  You did a fantastic job.  It amazes me when someone gets a bunch of stuff and is told to 'make a quilt' and the quilt turns out so good.  I would be completely lost.

Chantilly Lace is my favorite panto.  I bet that sucker is one heavy quilt.

Kris wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Wednesday, 8 July 2009, 12:35 PM

Nice work Marge. I like the way you pulled it together. Thanks for sharing.

Debera Floyd wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Wednesday, 8 July 2009, 9:34 PM

Way to go Marge what an amazing quilt and backed with his jeans thats way cool. I lost my mama in Feb. most of the fabric from her clothes is old double knit and jersey. I keep being told I can't make this up into anything very nice. You have given me hope. I'm not ready to work on it yet but thanks to you I know that I can make my sisters and I beautiful memories from the fabric I have saved from mamas clothes.

Thank you for sharing by doing so you help others with thier lives.

Debera

Cindy wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Thursday, 9 July 2009, 12:43 PM

A very nice job I think it will bring back some good memerioes for them for years to come. It sounds and looks very heavy but the whn she wraps it around herself it will feel like a hug from dad.

Rosemarie Andrako wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Friday, 10 July 2009, 6:36 AM

What a great way of remembering someone. I don't get to see my grandson so much, so I think I will find some material that will repersent our time we did have together. thank you

Joyce Brenden wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Friday, 10 July 2009, 9:47 AM

Marge--

Your quilt is stunning.  What a beautiful tribute.

Ruth wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Friday, 10 July 2009, 10:11 AM

Stunning is the word I thought of when I first saw this too!  I think you did a great job working with such different materials!

Rhonnie wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Saturday, 11 July 2009, 10:54 PM

nice job Marge!!!

I have to say you made it all look good and stand out. I bet they are very happy and proud of it.

Carol wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Monday, 13 July 2009, 12:02 AM

wow awesome job......very well done

ceecee wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Monday, 13 July 2009, 6:25 AM

What a great quilt. . .Mom and daugher must be thrilled with it!

gini wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Monday, 13 July 2009, 10:12 AM

what a great quilt  good for you    gini

mmcornwell@windstream.net wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Monday, 13 July 2009, 10:14 PM

What a great job! they will treasure it always!!

Marge Campbell wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Tuesday, 14 July 2009, 12:05 AM

It's real heavy for sure!  I laid out the shirts,  ball cap, shorts, swim trunks (only wanted one flame from those, lol)... and stared at them for a week..moved them around...then decided...heck, just cut out the pieces they specified & go from there.

Debra F:

Doubleknit...YES, you can use it to make a great quilt.  It will be heavy...it needs to be stabilized, just like a t-shirt quilt would be.  Use a Ball Point needle (size 16 to 20, depending on your machine).  If you need help...email me... I'll help walk you  through.  margecam52@valornet.com

Spudgrandma wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Wednesday, 15 July 2009, 12:34 AM

Marge,

You did a wonderful job and I'm sure the mother and daughter will always treasure it!

joyce wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Sunday, 19 July 2009, 7:59 PM

I cried when I read and saw the quilt. Of course I cry real easy. Great job and I'm sure Becky will cherish it.

Thea wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Thursday, 23 July 2009, 11:11 AM

I am amazed and humbled by all the beautiful work that the women do on this site.  Your quilt is an inspiration to me and I am so thankful that you shared it with all of us.  thank you.  You are a blessed woman.

Judy Iliff wrote re: "Becky's Quilt" from Marge Campbell
on Sunday, 6 September 2009, 12:01 AM

What a great memory this is for the mom and daughter! Nice quilt!